Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

An Off Topic section. 

kadima

Total Posts:  58

While at the moment it does not seem necessary, it will most probably be in the (hopefully) near future.

Most forums, at some point, add a forum section for off topic treads which always somehow appear on every forum, as the community becomes closer and more close-knit. Starting one early might be a good idea.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I agree with this.  I’m on this forum every single day now, and the software is still relatively unknown.  I predict it’s going explode when the stable version is released and it becomes more well known.  A strong community is going to develop out of this, and I know a lot of people will want to talk about other stuff besides Magento.  It would also be a great place for Southern California people to organize get togethers with the Varien staff.  We do have the General Forum, but I think that is still geared more towards Magento topics.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you include an off-topic forum and the community grows large, you will need people to help moderate it.  It’ll take more than just the Varien staff to do it.  I myself would love to help in that regard, as I have had experience with moderating active message boards before, and I’ll be on here almost daily anyway.  Of course, this could also be a reason to just not have an off-topic section at all, and I can certainly understand that.  Just understand that the community will have a natural tendency to bond and want to do so in areas unrelated to Magento.  It’s just the way things tend to go.  I would embrace that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Yeah, an off-topic forum would be nice.  It’d help build the community.

Plenty of us would be up for moderating it when Magento goes full-force in the New Year.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

You got it guys! We’ll have this up later this evening.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

All set!

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewforum/82/

First post - http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1182/

Magento Community
Magento Community

kadima

Thanks! Makes me feel really good!  smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

kadima

This one can also use an update:

The forum titled General Forum should have the following text updated.

“Any question and/or topic that does not fit into other forums may be posted here smile

to something like:

“Any other question or topic related to Magento should go here. Off topic posts go here” (with “here” being a link to the forum.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

kadima

Just two more suggestions for the forums here.

1.  The “Online Marketing” and “Search Engine Optimization” forums can be merged, since people who are interested in one are probably also looking for the other and they also complement each other. Many posts in each one of them will probably intersect with the other.

2.  The “eCommerce General Topics” and “Off Topics” sections can be merged into one called something like “Other Topics” since they are subjects that do concern Magento. It would also help consolidate the forum more.

Just my two cents.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

@Kadima - In regards to your point #1 above - I don’t agree. Online Marketing and Search Engine Optimization do not necessarily overlap. I expect the Online Marketing
forum to include information about affiliate programs, advertising, pay-per-click, banners, data feeds, etc. I think such topics deserve a forum of their own smile

... and Search Engine Optimization will be discussed in detail, I am certain. A dedicated section for it probably makes sense to reduce the noise.

Thanks for your feedback.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kadima

You might be right, Roy. But at the moment these two forums are empty aside from the threads I started to try to help it take off. I think that will all the hype around Magento itself, which is good, will still make these forums take longer to hit off the ground.

I still stand by my other suggestions in the erlier posts in this thread, however. rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community