Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Moving from development server to live server

pinkmochi

Total Posts:  2

I’ve been looking for an e-commerce solution for awhile. I was hoping someone could answer some questions I have to see if Magento is right for me.

Does Magento have the ability to add custom fields to the checkout process? I need to collect some additional data from customers who add a specific item to their cart. I could get around needing the field to come up if I just add a note that it’s only necessary if you are signing up for blah, blah, blah. I really need to be able to add additional fields than are commonly in a cart, though.

Also, is it difficult to move a Magento installation to another server? I have an existing e-commerce site and would like to upgrade it to Magento. However, I can’t install it on the server it’s currently on because I’d have to upgrade the server, which would force me to recompile the shopping cart code, which isn’t really an option. Anyway, I want to install, customize and add products to an installation on a server that meets Magento’s requirements and then move it over to the other server after I upgrade it, with as little downtime as possible. Are there instructions anywhere on how to move from a dev server to a live server?

Thanks in advance,
Midori

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

Be aware that Magento is still in BETA and is NOT recommended for a live environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pinkmochi

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for the heads up! It’s hard to tell from all of the excitement on the board. smile

I need something to use right away, so Magento won’t work for me for this project. However, I’m still researching shopping cart solutions for another project and for future clients.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community