Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New Templates Store

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Total Posts:  308
Switzerland

Hello community,

I have 2 questions.

#1 I have just launched store where we will be selling templates for magento. It’s located at templatesformagento.com. I will be glad to get some feedback from magento community.

We moved to templates-master.com

#2 Other one question is addressed to Magento team. Does my domain name “templatesformagento.com” break your trademark rights that written there http://www.magentocommerce.com/license.

Can I use the “Magento” trademark in one of my domain names or URLs?
No. You may not use the Magento trademark or any other mark associated with the Magento offering from our company in your domain name or URL. (For instance “www.magentohosting.com” is not allowed. See more on this topic below.)

I have read this document. And i remember all discussion that was right after it was posted 10 monthes ago.
As far as i remember one of Magento team members said that it’s possible to say that it’s “For Magento” but not “Magento templates”. Right after that i registred this domain. I also don’t claim that it’s affiliated with Magento team and i just want to say what is sold at this site.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

The use of the ‘Magento’ trademark may not be used in domain names, as it clearly states.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

RoyRubin - 09 July 2008 05:27 AM

The use of the ‘Magento’ trademark may not be used in domain names, as it clearly states.

Bad news for me. I remember exactly conversation that was right after license posted.  And I’m 100% sure that Magento team said that it’s possible to use it as part of domain name but not claim to be part of Magento. But it isn’t big problem i think i should look for other domain.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

So what would happen now to TemplatesMaster?

Shut down his site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

Ron Seigel - 10 July 2008 07:34 PM

Seems he hasn’t made any effort to do it himself? I’d imagine Roy will be giving him a little “nudge” soon. wink

Ron frankly speaking i don’t understand people like you. You knocked to store and said that using “magento” in domain name is infringement .  I posted topic to clarify this with Magento team because i respect their work and rights. I got answer from Roy and I wrote that i will work on moving to other domain name. So no problems with it.  And i really glad that you helped me to solve this problem before this store become popular.

I don’t want to write again story about reason we chosed this domain name but i was able to register magentotemplates.com last autumn but refused to do this because i knew about trademark rules.

As far as i see you are very interested in protecting magento trademark.  You can continue your work using this link http://www.google.com/search?q=magento and start from magento.cn and hundreds other sites using magento in their domain name.

And i want to tell that our store will work just under other domain name.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

Ron Seigel - 12 July 2008 06:17 AM

Ok....to be fair let’s list some.

http://hosting4magento.com/

Not exactly “hundreds” is it? More like 26 (yours isn’t even indexed).

That’s 48 pages of google and everything that they have indexed. Took all of 5 minutes.

Since you don’t seem to be very well versed in using Google the proper query to use would be:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q;=allinurl:magento

Any questions?

Good luck with your work. As i said you are a strange person. You should better work on something creative rather then knocking to each “magento” domain owner. But i really appreciate your help. You saved us from problems in future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

We finally moved to http://templates-master.com.  Thanks Ron for your help.

Also we will be glad to here what templates storeowners are looking for.  We will be happy to focus on requested templates and delivery them ASAP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeeva

Total Posts:  5

And how are you going to enforce that, world wide?
I doubt “Magento” is trademarked in my country.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TemplatesMaster
Guru

Switzerland

jeeva - 18 July 2008 05:16 AM

And how are you going to enforce that, world wide?
I doubt “Magento” is trademarked in my country.

You are right Jeeva. I think Magento is trademark only in USA for now. But if you will host in USA then Varien will easily shutdown your site. I doubt that Varein registered Magento trademark all around the world. But i respect their right and hope other members will do so.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community