Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
New Magento Demo Store

Siddharth Menon

Total Posts:  20
Mumbai

Nice .. looks clean

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Qumer Mumtaz

Total Posts:  21

Very nice demo. Would you share the design template???

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hadifarnoud

Total Posts:  210
Guildford, Surrey, UK

Moshe - 24 October 2007 03:40 PM

Anyone got Admin / System / Cache management menu entry? Right above Configuration ?

for me the answer is no, i also cant see locale setting

Magento Community
Magento Community

Marquinhos

Total Posts:  35

Really looks great!

Good job man =)

Cya

Magento Community
Magento Community

xdeveloper

Total Posts:  4

iblastoff - 25 October 2007 11:21 PM

chinesedream - 24 October 2007 01:23 AM
bluemotion - 23 October 2007 11:51 PM

Only down side is that the webshop is very slow, but that has noting to do with you design.

Can anyone verifies the slow loading of Magento store? I have cable broadband yet I find all Magento demo stores are slow, including the one in my client’s server (her static site loads very fast though).

is this a Magento performance issue ?

i can also attest that every time i load a new magento-enabled site, before its cached locally it takes ages to load. the very nice demo store displayed in this thread took nearly 15 seconds in order for anything to even appear. all i could see was “waiting for...transferring...waiting for...” etc etc etc flipping back and forth in my browser status bar for the longest time until finally parts of the site started coming up. i haven’t seen this issue on any other websites i traverse to.

I’ve made the same observation and this is what worries me about switching to any new ecommerce platform. The sites got to be able to load quickly or I’ll lose customers. Shoppers have very shot attention spans. In about 15 seconds a prospective customer can find another site with the same product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacson

Total Posts:  4

Hello all,

If this is a “presumptive” post, Sorry… cheese

The original poster may want to check Yahoo’s plugin YSLOW (you can find it at http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/ or Google it ).

I have been optimizing some sites following its guidelines.  Load times that were running 3-5 seconds are now sub-second.
It would be interesting to see the results on this demo site after some optimization techniques are applied.

And I agree, visitors will not stick around if something doesn’t pop on the page almost immediately.

Good Luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

To make your Magento working faster, enable all the caches in Admin / System / Cache Management.

Do not forget to clean all cache after making changes to files (main.xml, config.xml, upgrades, etc.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Total Posts:  126
Fistufle

Cache definitely improves response time on pages that have already been visited.

Moshe, what’s the duration before the cache expires ? Is there a simple way (file deletion, sql statement) to refresh all cache from a shell command ?
Regarding the “Refresh Catalog Rewrites” in the manage cache setup, I think there is a performance problem on huge catalogues (60 000+ items), as this page takes ages to load, and ends up in a blank page.

Thank you,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@jsperry: There are different ttl for caches, but most are indefinite, such as configuration (being cleaned on system config update), layouts, and translations. They can be cleaned manually when performing updates and such.

Blocks can have their own cache logic (ttl and unique key) by overriding getCacheKey() and getCacheLifetime() methods.
When getCacheLifetime() is any other value than null block caching will kick in, identified by getCacheKey().

The fastest way to clean all the cache is to remove var/cache folder and recreate it with 777 permission.

About the 60,000+ items you are right, we will need to change the current algorithm to accomodate such a quantity, will get back to you later about this, and also tags database..
I’m curious, how other aspects of Magento are working with your products database? In admin specifically.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Fistufle

Moshe: thanks for the tips.
I haven’t been using much of the backend with the products catalog, as most of it is handled by batch import or updates.
On the backend, the speed for loading/working a single product is OK, I just found the save part a bit slow (takes a few seconds).
The (ajax) global search also seems to have some hard time with so many products…

Hopefully these performance problems can be optimized, as well as the tag issue for the production release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsperri

Fistufle

I have just opened a group focusing on Magento performance and optimization. http://www.magentocommerce.com/group/view/168/
It’s a good place for everybody to share experiences and tips on how to improve performance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wouter (@MidoMedia)

Total Posts:  44

@ moshe: We have a huge product database of about 400.000 products (so way over the 60.000+ you mentioned). Will it ever be possible to put such a quantity of products in Magento, even after some adjustments on you side?

Kind regards,

Wouter

Magento Community
Magento Community

roskolnikov

Total Posts:  31
Caribbean

@moeshe guys this is true enable yur cache and the shop flies off the screen

Peace

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I like the design - it’s nice and clean with a little bit of interest.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ANDI222

Total Posts:  41

Hi ,

Very nice design.

Will you share in the next future some other possible variant of your work ?

It would be very helpfull and also not wasting your work in the same time!

Good job!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3