Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Aussie hosting? 

AngusMcKinnon

Total Posts:  5
Sydney

Yeah - I did look at Webcity - their prices are great, but was less than impressed with the sales person I spoke to. My sister who is a web designer has a shared solution there. Will ask her what she thinks. Their boxes seem to be in the Global data center, great ping times etc. I suspect that for the prices the boxes are probably oversold. Reviews on Whirlpool weren\’t great either.

I\’d be interested in hearing about your experience.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

KooWii

Total Posts:  8

AngusMcKinnon - 28 August 2010 10:00 PM

Hi Koowii - my apologies. Can I ask what DC you are using here in Aus and a couple of example Magento sites you are hosting on the I can ping.

Sure,
Well here are a few Magento sites, I am sure these guys do not mind me using their sites as examples, seeing that they have posted in this thread already.

ping babybootique.com.au
ping voicerecognition.com.au
ping golfzone.com.au

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Total Posts:  46
Western Australia

fragrances - 29 August 2010 04:06 AM

I can’t complain about Ventraip. Have had amazing service with them and no downtime yet and I have been with them for over 8 months. In regards to weekends, I generally email them with my ticket and have a response in less than 1/2 an hour. I phone them during the week with if I have any questions or concerns.

In regards to their management team, I am not sure what you are referring but maybe you would care to enlighten us? No point flinging mud if you don’t wish to elaborate.

It’s good to hear positive comments; they cop a bashing on some web hosting forums from people who expect everything for the price of nothing.

My personal comments stem from the Jumba management team selling to Aussie HQ and now having to change name from Cove to VentraIP - it just seems a bit unusual.

I should probably clarify that I don’t use shared hosting, as I host for clients so need something I can depend on in all aspects, meaning commercial reliability even if the hosting resources are more costly than most.

Choosing a good host can be a real challenge, but genuine feedback in forums like this hopefully make it easier for the business owner who simply wants to operate their business.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AngusMcKinnon

Total Posts:  5
Sydney

KooWii - 29 August 2010 02:29 PM

babybootique.com.au
voicerecognition.com.au
golfzone.com.au

Can I ask what kind of hosting package they are on with you ? babybootique is REALLY quick, but the other two were quite slow for me. Wondering it they are on different setups at all ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fragrances

Total Posts:  37

AngusMcKinnon - 29 August 2010 12:42 PM

Yeah - I did look at Webcity - their prices are great, but was less than impressed with the sales person I spoke to. My sister who is a web designer has a shared solution there. Will ask her what she thinks. Their boxes seem to be in the Global data center, great ping times etc. I suspect that for the prices the boxes are probably oversold. Reviews on Whirlpool weren\’t great either.

I\’d be interested in hearing about your experience.

Definitely overselling. They were good to start off with, but as they started to fill up as their prices became cheaper, I had MASSIVE issues with emails, speed times and also NO customer service on the weekends at all. Could never get a response from them until Monday and the issues always appeared to be over the weekends. Would not touch them with a ten foot pole.

Crucial thing to remember with web hosting is that you get what you pay for. I learnt that the hard way and did not focus too much on price this time around (took me long enough to figure that out......LOL)

Magento Community
Magento Community

fragrances

Total Posts:  37

Vee - 29 August 2010 06:27 PM

fragrances - 29 August 2010 04:06 AM
I can’t complain about Ventraip. Have had amazing service with them and no downtime yet and I have been with them for over 8 months. In regards to weekends, I generally email them with my ticket and have a response in less than 1/2 an hour. I phone them during the week with if I have any questions or concerns.

In regards to their management team, I am not sure what you are referring but maybe you would care to enlighten us? No point flinging mud if you don’t wish to elaborate.

It’s good to hear positive comments; they cop a bashing on some web hosting forums from people who expect everything for the price of nothing.

My personal comments stem from the Jumba management team selling to Aussie HQ and now having to change name from Cove to VentraIP - it just seems a bit unusual.

I should probably clarify that I don’t use shared hosting, as I host for clients so need something I can depend on in all aspects, meaning commercial reliability even if the hosting resources are more costly than most.

Choosing a good host can be a real challenge, but genuine feedback in forums like this hopefully make it easier for the business owner who simply wants to operate their business.

They do cop a bashing on Whirlpool. However, from personal experience having hosted with them (and I currently have 2 separate accounts running 2 websites that I have converted 1 so far from Cubecart to Magento), I am impressed with the company and the service. If I do come across any issues, KooWii will be visited as a viable option as I am impressed with his comments and responses on this forum.

Would love to have my own dedicated server but at this stage it is overkill for little old me, girl’s gotta dream though.....

Seriously though, in your line of business to have shared hosting opens you up to too many potential issues and risks. As far as budget hosting goes, there seems to be a few viable options here in Australia which is good to know. If I do have problems with Ventra, I will be sure to report it here and look at some of the options listed here that are on offer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

VentraIP

Total Posts:  2

Vee - 28 August 2010 04:53 PM

AngusMcKinnon - 28 August 2010 03:41 PM
I think Ventraip probably has the best reputation

The management team behind VentraIP doesn’t appear stable enough for me to personally consider them

Hi Vee,

My name is Cheyne Jonstone and I am the CEO of VentraIP Group. I would love to talk with you some more about why you believe our management team doesn’t appear to be “stable”?

As you can see from our website, our management team is a group that have been in the IT industry for more than a decade. Here are some little-known-facts about the business:

- We’re 100% Australian owned and operated, with all support being done in Australia.
- We own and operate our own network in Melbourne and Sydney, and all of our servers are owned and not leased.
- We’re now an auDA Accredited Registrar, as well as an Accredited Registrar for many other domain names.
- Our customer portal, VIPControl, is the only system in the world that allows customers to take full control of their cPanel account, with features such as instant disk and data blocks, remote MySQL access, SSH access, vulnerability scanner, PHP.INI builder, which are all extremely useful tools for anybody using Magento.
- We have a very active community forum where customers and staff discuss all kinds of topics.

And finally, we are currently hosting thousands of Magento websites. Due to the nature of Magento, we always recommend customers with a serious Magento site use our Business plans, as those servers have more grunt and the external MySQL service for further stability.

You also mention the name change from COVE to VentraIP, and that change was simply due to us wanting to expand our brand globally. While we had the .com.au domain for COVE, that was all we had (we didn’t even have the .net.au!). smile

If ever you have any questions about the service we offer, or you want to ask me anything, simply call 1300 484 133 and ask to speak to me, I’ll be happy to take your call.

Cheers,

Cheyne

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

Hi Cheyne,

Very well, I give in =)

All the best

Magento Community
Magento Community

VentraIP

Vee - 19 September 2010 08:07 PM

Hi Cheyne,

Very well, I give in =)

All the best

I wasn’t really asking for you to “give in”, I just wanted to know what the concerns where, that’s all. smile

Cheyne

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Western Australia

VentraIP - 19 September 2010 08:50 PM

I just wanted to know what the concerns where, that’s all. smile

I was more echoing the sentiments of others, from other communities.

Like I said, it’s good to see a positive report from another user.

Magento Community
Magento Community

crazyblogs888

Spam removed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rob Staff

Total Posts:  14

Just don’t try ping babybootique today grrrrrrrrrr.....

Or try contact 24/7/365 100% support when your vas goes down

Magento Community
Magento Community

drbucky

Total Posts:  6

Michael Hu - 05 August 2010 08:28 PM

I am using KooWii\’s shared hosting for almost 5 month. I am very happy with the speed and technical support. Though what I am using is just a shared hosting ($25.45 per month), not VPS or dedicated server, but it really works great. I have more than 500 products, but with some help from KooWii\’s support team, I can get 82 scores of YSlow test.

So for merchants targeting Australian market, I suggest taking a look at KooWii. They are great.

This looks like a Ads, but it\’s NOT. I have nothing to do with KooWii except they are hosting my website and I pay them monthly ^_^

By the way, they also have hosting servers in US and other hosting options, such as VPS, but I haven\’t tried that. I am happy with this $25.45 sharing hosting optimized for Magento.

Your site is down…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Global Backing

Total Posts:  15

This seems like a popular post so I thought I would add to it.

I’ve use many hosting companies and found that most of them offer poor service and most will let you down eventually, even the ones that cost a lot. All up I think I’ve used 9 and every one of them showed incompetence at one point or another.

After being let down so much I used to stop worrying about it and just accepted the fact that issues will arise and and stuck with the crappier ones as they were cheap. That is until I started to use Magento.

I’ve now had to upgrade my servers and move to another hosting company and realised you have to invest in a really good server for Magento to work correctly or your sites will be very slow.

Therefore I would recommend looking for a very fast server and take on the extra cost if you are going to build with Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rob Staff

Total Posts:  14

After 7 days down time with our current hosting provider in only two months, I am in desperate search of a new host with stable VPS. Would love some REAL recommendations from people that aren,t hosts themselves.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community