Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
Aussie hosting? 

Mike_Dean

Total Posts:  13

Hi,

I currently have a store running on ZenCart and hosted out of the States, (and have been for 3 years)

I’m seriously considering setting up a new site and have Magento in mind for this.

One thing that concerns me is that I have read that Magento does not cope well on shared servers ?

As a hosting company, how do you find the performance of Magento on shared servers ?

We’d be looking at the 4G plan ($15.99 p/m)

Thanks,
Mike

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Barrie

Total Posts:  52

Under normal circustances Magento runs fine on shared servers with any decent bit of hardware in them. Though, I wouldnt be to keen on buying hosting from someone who offers UNLIMITED everything, not only are they overselling, they attract alot of people that would use scripts that take excessive amounts of resources, this comes at a cost to everyone else on the server.

I’m personally not to keen on cPanel hosters either. There’s alot of problems with cPanel exploites and servers being hacked left right and center. Plesk seems to be ok, but Hsphere hosting never have problems! Probly because its so rich in java nobody understands it lol.

If your looking to test or even start selling, you don’t HAVE to go with a company that has there servers in Australia (because you pay for it). Plenty of Australian hosts have there servers outside the country and work really well, some exceeding more than 1mbps download standard with no hassles.

My opinion - fine to run magento on shared server. (just check the server specs)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ozzie

Total Posts:  9

If your target market is Australian’s then I’d recommend hosting on an Aus based server as opposed to a US based server. I currently host 3 magento sites for clients all on shared servers and the one on the US server takes far longer to load than the other 2 which are on a Brisbane server & a Sydney server, load times on these are fairly quick in comparison.

When looking at hosting providers it is important to decide what you really want, cheap = overloaded servers, +++downtime & little or no support or, pay that little bit extra and get guaranteed 99.5% uptime (at a minimum) & great support.
Unlimited = cheap & nasty, unreal expectations & overselling at it’s worst, imagine if everyone on the server used the resources they were allocated! 
Tailored plans = quality hosting and less chance of server crashes.

If anyone is interested in quality hosting on Aus based servers for a reasonable price just shoot me a pm wink

Cheers
Ros

Magento Community
Magento Community

VK4KBG

Total Posts:  104
Beerwah. Queensland. Australia

Hi,
We now offer Magento and GeoClassifieds webhosting on Australian Servers Located in Australia, owned and operated by Australians.

Rates are very keen. drop me a line to vk4kbg@tpg.com.au

Cheers

Ron

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

We’ve got one install on Netregistry here in Sydney and are about to move it away - I wouldn’t recommend them as they (currently) running on Zeus instead of Apache, getting the Zeus equivalent of mod_rewrite working with Magento just isn’t worth it when you consider the low cost of switching versus the hours of configuration research needed, then having to do it again and again for any other apache specific mods.
And their rates are higher than average anyway.

I really can’t imagine why you’d run a non apache linux server, the extra tech support they must have to provide because of it is horrendous....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Barrie

Total Posts:  52

benz001 - 24 May 2009 04:04 AM

We’ve got one install on Netregistry here in Sydney and are about to move it away - I wouldn’t recommend them as they (currently) running on Zeus instead of Apache, getting the Zeus equivalent of mod_rewrite working with Magento just isn’t worth it when you consider the low cost of switching versus the hours of configuration research needed, then having to do it again and again for any other apache specific mods.
And their rates are higher than average anyway.

I really can’t imagine why you’d run a non apache linux server, the extra tech support they must have to provide because of it is horrendous....

And there expensive for features you get. I do find it odd that one of the leading hosting companies in Aus wouldnt run apache. ~ Wierd

Magento Community
Magento Community

CAE-Andy

Total Posts:  18
Adelaide

We used or more to the point tried with Hostess which is either a budget arm of Net Registry or a wholesaler.

The Zeus issue was one of the major points for leaving as like the previous posted said Zeus doesn’t like Magento and no Joolma 1.5 either. We were seeing products being written to the mage database in upwards of 45 seconds vs. the 3 seconds on Jumba. We now also get phone support in Business Hours and full access to the DNS not a weird custom written application!

You do have to apply to support for a shell account but there is no $ charge.

Go Jumba!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hbomb

Total Posts:  3

I’m on Bluehost in the US.

Ive installed and running Magento fine for one website , but it looks like I will need a rocket science degree in mod_rewrite to get my other add on domains/websites within my hosting account to be able to use the same base Magento install and still maintain their own unique URL ...
I’m debating switching to a host that supports virtual hosts , unless someone out there has mod_rewrite examples… which can help suede me

Magento Community
Magento Community

chevinoz

Total Posts:  29

We have found “australianwebsites” to be great. They do however, use USA based servers but they got a grip on the Mage requirements early in the piece and now their servers are set up to allow a seamless Mage installation.

Most importantly, their support is only a local phonecall away (Australia wide), great help desk hours, I’ve even had them on the phone helping me out at 1am.

I’ve been with this company since 2001, in all that time I could count major downtime on one hand. Two businesses later and I still recommend them highly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Revilo

Total Posts:  68

web24

http://www.web24.com.au I have a reseller account with these guys. I have had a few issue with magento but the have worked with my to get everything resolved. More than happy with their service.

Magento Community
Magento Community

KooWii

Total Posts:  8

We have just upgraded our Magento Hosting Packages.
Magento Hosting

We offer Unmetered Bandwidth and Unlimited Disk Space for a short time.
We will also fully install the latest Magento on your account for FREEbig surprise
We will transfer up to 20 web sites for you if you with a existing Host for FREEbig surprise

All koowii customers receive 20% of other services.

With 24/7 live support and professional Web development + Marketing team at your disposal.

Come check us out - Koowii wink

Quote this Special Coupon for Magento Forum Members ONLY and receive $50.00 Credit for any 12 Months plan.
COUPON CODE >> MAGE5000

Send me a pm if you require more information…

We have new Magento Customers signing up every day, Come join them.
www.koowii.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

benz001

Total Posts:  238
Sydney

After moving away from Netregistry we set that site up with Digital Pacific - we’ve got several other clients with them for other projects as well.

While we have from time to time had some problems they’ve been excellent with their tech support at getting things resolved and are very easy to deal with, I’ve never had a problem that the tech guy I first got on the phone couldn’t solve, unlike a lot of other hosts…

We’ve had no dramas with Magento on their shared server build, the ping times are good to their servers and they provide SSH on business plans by request which for Magento projects I’d say is basically a requirement (problems with magento connect anyone???). They use Plesk.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Timmy G

Total Posts:  4

mylittleangels - 12 November 2008 04:22 PM

aussiehq is great too and half price at the moment

I am currently hosted with them and as much as I love them, they run PHP in safe mode and I couldn’t successfully get Magento to install :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Timmy G

Total Posts:  4

KooWii - 09 August 2009 11:53 AM

We have Have just upgraded our Magento Hosting Packages.
Magento Hosting

We will also fully install the latest Magento on your account for FREEbig surprise
We will transfer up to 20 web sites for you if you with a existing Host for FREEbig surprise

With 24/7 live support and professional Web development + Marketing team at your disposal.

Quote this Special Coupon for Magento Forum Members ONLY and receive $50.00 Credit for any 12 Months plan.
COUPON CODE >> MAGE5000

www.koowii.com

but your servers appear to be in the US :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

KooWii

Total Posts:  8

Timmy G - 10 January 2010 01:46 PM

KooWii - 09 August 2009 11:53 AM
We have Have just upgraded our Magento Hosting Packages.
Magento Hosting

COUPON CODE >> MAGE5000

www.koowii.com

but your servers appear to be in the US :(

hi Timmy,

We have servers in the USA and Australia.
smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5