Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Tax per city

Moose

Total Posts:  9

In Washington state, the tax rate varies by city for delivered food. Is there a way to set a tax rate in Magento that takes the delivery city into account?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

This functionality will be greatly facilitated in the next release (1.1). We map tax rates by country, state and zipcode. You will have to map the correct zipcode to the proper city in order to achieve accuracy. You can also extend the tax module to support by city if you wish.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moose

Total Posts:  9

Thanks! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

souji

Total Posts:  10

Will you be adding the zip+4 anytime soon. There are some zip codes that have more than one rate based on the +4.  I am particularly interested in the washington state.
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/DestinationBased/ClientInterface.aspx

Magento Community
Magento Community

mtveten

Total Posts:  1

souji - 04 September 2008 08:01 AM

Will you be adding the zip+4 anytime soon. There are some zip codes that have more than one rate based on the +4.  I am particularly interested in the washington state.
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/DestinationBased/ClientInterface.aspx

Since many people don’t know their zip+4 address a simple tax zone lookup for destination based tax is not feasible.  To correctly address the issue one would need to find their customers tax zone using their 5digit zip & street address.  Given the amount of data to manage the task, incorporating a self contained solution for even 1 state let alone all requiring destination seems as though it would take a while to complete. 

With most if not all destination tax states providing lookup interfaces (http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/retailsalestax/destinationbased/clientinterface.aspx) it would be much smoother to build in a check for those states and get the tax data from them when required. 

My question is does the Magento team have a plan to incorporate any kind of destination based tax system in the near future? It seems a solution like the method mentioned could probably be built rather quickly.

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

creativemediaalliance

Total Posts:  23

I too live in Washington and am wondering how to deal with this issue.  Have any extensions been made available to solve this issue.  It seems like the rates would have to be updated every quarter for all zip codes, which would be very time consuming and confusing for my client.

Magento Community
Magento Community

altered

Total Posts:  3

Hi, how do I extend the Tax Module to support by city?

adimagento - 07 July 2008 01:28 PM

This functionality will be greatly facilitated in the next release (1.1). We map tax rates by country, state and zipcode. You will have to map the correct zipcode to the proper city in order to achieve accuracy. You can also extend the tax module to support by city if you wish.

Magento Community
Magento Community

altered

Or better yet, by Los Angeles County? smile

altered - 11 February 2009 05:38 PM

Hi, how do I extend the Tax Module to support by city?

Magento Community
Magento Community

toycyte

Total Posts:  6

I’m interested in this solution as well. How to extend?

Magento Community
Magento Community

balero

Total Posts:  170
埼玉県所沢市

Realistically, what kind of risk are you running if you just ignore this corner case stuff? If you mostly have the taxes working by zip code, but there are some cases where the zip code might not cover it, won’t it just average out in the long run?

Are we talking jail time here if they audit you? Huge fines?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmbatty

On an accounting level, yes you could probably eat up the losses and make up the discrepancies, but still.

Our business has this requirement to remit taxes for our stores having nexuses all accross the country, and some of our stores have highs requirements for taxation rules, down to the city. a ZIP+4 code lookup (based on the selection of one’s county for example would be a great solution, as pretty much everyone should know their own county).

Can it be done ? yes. Hopefully. This would save us humongous headaches.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itwsanta

Total Posts:  6

Forgive me if I know not what I do, but I am using 1.3 and I do not have the slightest clue where and how to calculate my CA tax by city and not zip, i have no idea how to extend module functionality, is there somewhere that I can not find that may explain how, I do not see any answers here or anywhere.

PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Track 23

Total Posts:  50

...You can also extend the tax module to support by city if you wish.

I also live in Washington state and desperately need a way to calculate taxes based on the city in Washington to which the order is being shipped. How would I go about extending the tax module to do this? Can someone provide a link to a tutorial, or the code?

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

balero

Total Posts:  170
埼玉県所沢市

I would recommend that you guys export the default tax table and look at it. That’s pretty much what Magento can do (and it can’t do everything). You just need to get your data into that format.

Admin: Sales > Tax > Import/Export Tax Rates

Magento Community
Magento Community

dorgan

Total Posts:  12

How would one go about defining a tax module??

Magento Community
Magento Community

GFX Complex

Total Posts:  47
St.Louis

I have a plug in that I had developed that uses the WA State tax API from the department of revenue. If any one is interested in it, email me at josh[at]gfxcomplex.com

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2