Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Creating Food Products: Salad Bar by the pound

acketon

Total Posts:  14

haha, ok

here’s one:

client runs a grocery store and cafe.. Wants to have some products, such as their Salad Bar online available for order.

Salad is sold by the pound, with of course, many different options..however those options don’t need to change the price. Employees in the store would make up the salad per the order as best as possible.

So, let’s figure out how this can be done? Ideas?

Create a Configurable Product:
this would work, but if there are say 10 different options to add to the salad, we would need to create different products for each variation, correct? This would be insane of course.

Can I setup attributes that are a yes/no, such as

Salad 5.99:
Include Cucumbers: yes/no
include Carrots: yes/no
etc..

What about a grouped product?
Can we have one of those products be a pound of salad and required… then have the “toppings” i.e. carrots, tomatoes, etc. be other products with a cost of 0 dollars that they can add?

I’m trying to find a way that this can be done without creating hundreds of simple products, for something like this inventory doesn’t matter as much the way it would for different types of t-shirts.

I know that bundles are coming soon, would this work?
I also just bought the new Magento book by php Architect and it looks like it has a chapter on creating a module for items sold by a variable, such as weight or length.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

acketon

haha, I see that.

client’s can be such a pita. I really don’t want to have to go with a different ecommerce system. Most are so old and archaic.

Here’s what I got messing around with grouped items, problem is, there is no way to make one required, so while this would work, the buyer could remove the priced item and just order the free “toppings.”

This could work in the mean time however, this is for a little organic grocery store and cafe that will only be doing delivery and store pickup so anyone ordering and removing the “Salad by the Pound” would just not have their order fulfilled.

*sigh*

Image Attachments
Picture 12.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

acketon

Are bundles still individual “simple products” ? if so it would be pretty similar to grouped products? Maybe the new Configurable Product Options would be better...really the price doesn’t change, it’s one item, one sku and just checkbox of what they would like on their salad...or on their sandwich..etc..

Turkey Sandwich:
comes with Turkey & Swiss on French Bread:
Add:
[ ] Mayo
[ ] Mustard
[ ] Lettuce
[ ] Tomato
[ ] Pepper

etc…

Magento Community
Magento Community