Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Create selectable options rather than configurable products

Business Feet

Total Posts:  82

Hi All, just wondering if there is a way to remove the headache of configurable products.  I have a client who I’d really like to use magento for, however, they sell leather sofas and chairs, with a product range of about 200.  In each of the ranges there are at least 3 items (chair, 2 seater & 3 seater), so far so good, but they also offer 3 different leather types which have on average 20 color options.

If i were to create a configurable product I would have to create approximately 180 products per range, giving a total of 36,000 products in the catalogue.  As i’m sure you’ll agree this is not practical nor desirable.  What I would like to know is if anyone has managed to figure out how to create a product and have selectable dependency options i.e leather type a produces color range a, leather type B produces color range B etc.

The other ideal would be to create a configurable grouped product, that way we could at least alleviate some of the pain by reducing our products from 36,000 to about 600.

Hope this is clear enough, suggestions, feedback, solutions and pointers are all welcome grin)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I believe configurable grouped products are on the roadmap for 1.1, but I don’t know that for sure.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community