Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

UK Wedding Accessories Store

Tim Deeson

Total Posts:  16
UK

We recently produced Silk Wedding Designs for one of the UK’s leading wedding florists. There was no significant bespoke functionality required, the Varien Protx module was integrated to provide payment services.

The brief required a fully bespoke theme to be created from an initial set of PSDs that we created. We took the theming further than we did for our last, lower key book store on http://www.landscape.co.uk because the client wanted a rich, engaging experience for their market.

Any comments or feedback are gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

liotropi

Total Posts:  182
Athens, Greece

nice site
your footer links aren’t working

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Excellent work!

Very nice banner. Nice menues. The “theme feel” is very complete. I like it a lot.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eseller01

Total Posts:  10

Hi very nice design, can you tell me how did you put special products on the main page and also on sub categories. I know there are couple listed can you tell me which one you used.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Deeson

UK

liotropi - Thanks for the footer tip, we’ve fixed that.

norbolig - Thanks!

eseller01 - We used an inactive category and output that as per below, it seemed like a good solution for the problem.

{{block_type="catalog/product_list" category_id="68" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

gadgetplay

Total Posts:  30
Basingstoke, UK

Very nice site. Great to see another Magento store being made for the UK.

I’m also from the UK so was wondering who you host the site with?

Magento Community
Magento Community

eseller01

Total Posts:  10

Tim,
You are a genius, simple solution that works really well. is there a way i can hide this category from showing in the category list.

Thank you.

Tim Deeson - 07 July 2008 04:23 AM

liotropi - Thanks for the footer tip, we’ve fixed that.

norbolig - Thanks!

eseller01 - We used an inactive category and output that as per below, it seemed like a good solution for the problem.

{{block_type="catalog/product_list" category_id="68" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

@Tim: this gives full control over what products to display on the front page, and is really genius in the simplicity. - “Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein. I agree with eseller01, you are a candiate for the position. wink

eseller01:  Yes, just select “Is Active”: No, and the category will not show up in the category list.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Deeson

UK

eseller01 & norbolig - thanks for the compliments, genius is a bit strong! I can’t really take the credit, Pete, our main Magento developer gave me the tip, I’ve passed on your praise though.

gadgetplay - We offer a full service solution on Magento UK customers who want it - we provide hosting on our secure Rackspace servers, development, theme design and payment gateway advice and support (we are PayPoint.net partners in addition to being Magento partners). On some projects we just provide some of these services as necessary.

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

nice site. it took forever to load for me, but then i am in the western US.
its a very complete looking, elegant design.

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

As for the simple solution of displaying products on the home page (via the CMS), I have tried to display two categories products on the front page:

1.  BEST SELLING PRODUCTS and
2.  NEWLY ARRIVED PRODUCTS

I found two unused categories (id=20 and id=24), and have selected different products for the two categories.

Then I added this code to the CMS home page:

<div class="box best-selling">
<h3>Best selling products</h3>
<table border="0" cellspacing="0">
<tbody>
{{block_type="catalog/product_list" category_id="20" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}
</tbody>
</table>
</div>

<div class="box news">
<h3>New products</h3>
<table border="0" cellspacing="0">
<tbody>
{{block_type="catalog/product_list" category_id="24" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}
</tbody>
</table>
</div>

This results in just the products from id=20 showing up two times.

I am hoping for some help to get around this. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community