Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to overwrite images on import

Bonaventure

Total Posts:  29

I’ve imported 100,000 products with images (all “simple” products with one image each).
I send updated and new images to my media/import folder and my products get updated without a hitch.

Unfortunately, the dataflow import does not overwrite the image files. In other words, image “00123.jpg” (matching sku 00123) from my first batch import becomes “00123_1.jpg” when I update the database. Then “00123_2.jpg” for the next import, and so on and so on. As one might imagine, 100,000 images multiplied by every update to the system will be too much for the server.

I submitted a support ticket to Varien--they said that the dataflow connector works as I have described---in other words, I need to modify it to overwrite the images. If only I knew where to find the import files to make the change. I suspected that they would be in app/code/core/mage/model/import....but I can’t see anything that controls the image import.

Any thoughts?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Very Clever Stuff

Total Posts:  90
Sheffield, UK

Can you not delete the old files first?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

The old images or the old products?  Deleting the old products would take forever and screw up any linking, etc, between them.  Deleting the old images would be much more manageable - though it’s still ridiculous that you would need to do that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Very Clever Stuff

Sheffield, UK

Yeah, I meant the old images. Does seem strange though, I noticed this myself.

Along these lines (sort of) it also seems strange that you can’t re-use images for different products. i.e. I have products that are different colours outside, but the same inside. I have a common image for the inside, but Magento doesn’t allow me to ‘choose’ from existing images, only upload a new one.

Ends up will silly amounts of duplicate data.

Also, does anyone know if you can delete the files in media/import after importing? I assume you can, but it doesn’t happen automatically?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Very Clever Stuff

Sheffield, UK

By the way, “Improved import/export methods” is on the Road Map

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I’ve actually noticed that importing seems to work better in the 1.1 alpha I’ve been playing with.  I haven’t noticed the above issue, so I’m not sure if it still exists or not.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joesixpack

Total Posts:  35

How did you manage to import 100,000 products?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

Have you noticed if you try to change an old product image with a new product image, it does not completely remove the old? It will still use it as the base? Thoughts? (Its not cache)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Thejosh13

Total Posts:  252

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/15130/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben at Keeward

Total Posts:  18
Paris, France