Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

problem with admin panel

tarty

Total Posts:  3

i installed magento everything went fine but when i go into the admin panel but non of the different section buttons are clickable all i can see is the dashboard and there’s 2 white long boxes at the top rught i know on the left is seach box but the other 1 is over the top of the logout button and my details so what’s gone wrong

here’s the url

http://www.monkeys-hosting.co.uk/magento

Edit.... when i run my mouse over the other buttons this is the url it shows
http://www.monkeys-hosting.co.uk/magento/index.php/admin/dashboard/#

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Can you elaborate about your problems further? Your site looks fine to me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tarty

what i can do is pm u the admin login details because thats where the problem is with

Magento Community
Magento Community

tarty

dont worry i got it sorted at last but cheers for ur help

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

Glad that your problem is sorted out.
Can you please post on how your problems get sorted so that other members will not face the same problem again? wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

fabriclane

Total Posts:  7

I have this same problem.  When I go to the backend I’m unable to click on any of the tabs except dashboard.  How were you able to resolve this issue?
Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

antillas21

tarty,

Could you please explain how did you sort out this problem? I am experiencing the same scenario in a shared hosting account. I just finished installing the Modern theme from the Magento Connect Community and when it was done, pft! all menu options (exception made for dashboard and log out) are disabled now.

Thanks for your attention

antillas21

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Total Posts:  68
Plymouth, UK

I have exactly the same problem too. Eerything installed just fine once I had everything configured correctly but now when I log in to the Backend, none of the tabs other than the Dashboard are linked to anything 9ie. they are all empty links). So, Sales, Catalog, Customers, Promotions, Newsletter, CMS, Reports and System are all inactive.

I have emailed tarty in the hope that his solution will work for me. If he replies I’ll post it here.

I am pretty desperate to get a store up and running ASAP after many failed attempts with other shopping carts so any help will be very gratefully received. Meanwhile, I will fiddle away in the hope that I chance on the reason why…

I get the same dead link issue in Safari and Firefox (both latest builds).

Thanks,

Lol

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Plymouth, UK

Looking at the code for the Admin Dashboard page I can see that the problem lies with the pop-up menus. All of the menus other than the Dashboard link itself have sub-menus that are set up as unordered lists. All the links look fine in the code it’s just that non of the sub-menus are appearing on mouse-over events. That tells me that the javascript isn’t working for the main header links.

Would it not be possible to remove the JS code for these links and do all the roll-over menus for the back end in pure CSS?

I would do this myself but I’m worried about breaking something else so I’ll wait until I hear from someone more knowledgeable about Magento.

Anyone else know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Lol

Edit: Just to add that if I copy and paste the actual links they work just fine so it is just a case of a broken menu for me in Magento ver. 1.0.19870.4

Magento Community
Magento Community

ODB

Total Posts:  142
London

Try this:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/10478/

Magento Community
Magento Community

fabriclane

Total Posts:  7

GoodGBB - 04 May 2008 09:40 AM

For me I have solved this menu problem by doing the following tasks.

1. Upload the new Head.php (downloaded from this thread)
2. CHMOD /js to be 755 and /js/proxy.php to be 644
3. My menu is works!!!!

Thanks for all helping smile

This worked for me… Thanks a bunch!

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

Glad that your problem has been solved.
And thanks for posting the ways to solve it as it would benefit lots of members as they would not need to ask the same thing again and again. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lol

Plymouth, UK

Oh thank you!

I just had to do this:

CHMOD /js to be 755 and /js/proxy.php to be 644

All menu pop-ups are now working as are the Save Config buttons. Phew! What a relief. And all because of a few permissions.

Is it possible to address this issue in an install guide update? I nearly gave up today and would have started over with a different Ecommerce package if I couldn’t get a resolution. It’s just that I’ve tried so many products recently that I have been dissatisfied with (and which are so poorly implemented) that I was beginning to lose my sanity!  big surprise  tongue laughshock  snake  LOL

Hopefully, now that I can start customising my Magento store I will have many happy months to regrow my hair.

Thanks again,

Lol Mettam.

Magento Community
Magento Community

catchgraphics

Total Posts:  11

I have had all sorts of problems with my webhosting company with the permissions. When Magento is installed all the files have either 775 or 664 permissions on them which is a major problem for my webhosting server as they require 755 and 644 permissions otherwise things don’t work. Does anyone know if this is a problem with Magento or my webhosting company? Changing the permissions on every file in Magento would take sooo long so hoping someone can help out with this issue.

Many thanks

Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

@ catchgraphics: Our servers does not use “nobody” to run the webserver processes. They run as the username of the account. This should assist with web based file uploads not being editable due to the permission issues as the files will automatically be owned by the user. As such, 777 is not allowed as it is not needed to give “nobody” (group) permission. You simply need to replace any mentioning in the install docs of 777 to 755.

You can have a look at Aspiration Hosting Magento Installation Guide in the Magento Wiki for walk through of the installation process of Magento on our server.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community