Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Subcategory under multiple categories? 

joesixpack

Total Posts:  35

I am using the category tree in catalog > manage categories to rearrange the store menus. I t works great, but how do I . . .

. . .  get a subcategory to appear under multiple categories?

Is this possible?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

erict

Total Posts:  31

Any response to this?  There doesn’t seem to be a flexible grouping mechanism within Magento unless this works, and I’m not seeing it…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Angstrom Systems

Total Posts:  2

I encountered this same question.

I suspected that this was not supported and I think my suspicions have been confirmed.

Upon looking at the database schema it appears that the category entities also contains the hierarchy.  If you look at the table in question the [entity_id] is the identity, but if you look closer there is a [parent_id] column that sets the hierarchy and more importantly limits any category to exist under one and only 1 parent category.

I’m sure this was done for simplicity so strange circular references wouldn’t be possible, but it sure is a drag given my client wants to use multiple sub categories in different parent categories.  I think the only way we can do this is to duplicate the sub categories...yuck.

Image Attachments
magento_category.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

DamonT

Total Posts:  153

I have the very same questions… There has to be a way to do this.. it seems like such a simple detail… is there any extensions or quick fixes to this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoeAD

Total Posts:  47

I need to do this too.

Did anyone find a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

shenobis

Total Posts:  2

I also wanted this functionally in a magento store i have managed to hack it so i can get the subcategory linked in multiple main categories if anyone wants to know i will post up what i have done

Magento Community
Magento Community

downthelane

Total Posts:  1

Hi

Can you please post how you have done this as it is something I really need to make my store work.

Thanks

James

Magento Community
Magento Community

dsaverschel

Total Posts:  1

Hi shenobis,

Could you please let us know how you managed to put subcategories under multiple parent categories?
This would save me a lot lot lot of time!

Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

May be you just need a separate menu extension that allows you to put the same links under different parents?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community