Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

…create special shipping for a particular item/SKU? 

macsmart

Total Posts:  29
Greensboro, NC

I currently have flat rate shipping set at $15/item (all similar items). I’d like to set the shipping price for a promo item (which will be free via a catalog price rule) to $5.00. Is it possible to do something like this on the product/SKU level? The ideal situation is that the item appears free and the shipping is $5…

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

What happens if the quantity of this item is more than 1 or if there are other products in the cart?

Magento Community
Magento Community

macsmart

Greensboro, NC

Ideally, each customer only gets one promo item, so additional items would be at the original price (not free) + normal ($15) shipping. In reality, it’s no big deal if each item is free as long as the shipping is $15.

If other products are in the cart:

Promo item: FREE + $5 shipping
Other item 1: $x (Item cost) + $15 shipping
Other item 2: $x (Item cost) + $15 shipping
Other item 3: $x (Item cost) + $15 shipping

Thanks for the quick reply, Moshe!

Magento Community
Magento Community

macsmart

Greensboro, NC

Alternatively, if I could get table rates working (I posted about this separately: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/5253/ , I think it would solve all my problems…

the table would look something like this:

USA,    *,    *,    0,        5
USA
,    *,    *,    4,        10
USA
,    *,    *,    100,    15
USA
,    *,    *,    600,    30
USA
,    *,    *,    800,    35
USA
,    *,    *,    1000,    40
USA
,    *,    *,    1500,    80

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

so basically the discount is [the price of the promotion item] + $10 ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

macsmart

Greensboro, NC

@Moshe: Esentially, yes. The issue I’ve found is if I make a catalog coupon for a flat $30 (the item is normally $20), I run into issues with negative prices and negative tax. Add this to your cart to see this in action:

http://shop.williammangumfineart.com/catalog/product/view/s/o-christmas-tree-2007-complimentary-mini-print/id/187/

(Use zip 27408 to estimate shipping/tax)

Turns out to be quite a mess… smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

@macsmart: Did you try making it as a Shopping Cart Price Rule?

Magento Community
Magento Community

macsmart

Greensboro, NC

@Moshe: I’ve tried a Shopping Cart Price Rule, and every combination of both types of rules I can think of, and nothing is working out to a total of $5.

If the “free shipping” option in “Shopping Cart Price Rules” would override the default setting for free shipping, that would even be OK… I’d just adjust the item price to $5. But since I have the free shipping option turned off (especially since it would ship everything for free if I dialed it down that low for items under $1) by default, that won’t work either.

I think the table rate I mentioned above is my best answer short of shipping price adjustment per SKU, but I haven’t been able to get that to work without errors yet…

It’s always the little stuff that makes the most trouble… everything else is working great!

Thanks for all your help!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community