Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Trouble adding a product… Missing required options in drop downs on General tab

rhino

Total Posts:  21

Hi,

Install went fine, had to increase php.ini memory from 8MB to 16MB though. Now I’m trying to add my first product and I’m having a problem.

Three of the required fields in the General tab, do not have any options in the drop down menus, and I can’t type anything in them either. So I have been unable to save a product successfully.

The three options are:
Status
Tax Class
Visibility

Do these need to be set up somewhere before adding any products? I looked at some of the products already in the catalog and they actually don’t even have anything in these settings (they are blank).

So how do I do it?

Thanks,

Michael

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

I just looked at the products in the back end of the demo store, and my General properties don’t look like the ones in the demo. My drop downs are all blank for those three properties.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks again,

Michael

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaw

Total Posts:  4

I also seem to have this problem. Anybody got an idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

S.Kacperski (Gekosale.pl)

Total Posts:  38
Warsaw

What Have You choosen in Attribute Set and Product Type?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Barido

I also had this problem after messing around with attribute sets. Had to restore the original database to fix.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

It doesn’t matter what I select for Attribute or Product Type. The settings are even missing for the products that were already in there by default.

Attributes could have something to do with it. I did in fact create an attribute set before attempting to add a product. BTW, I also created a new category and subcategory before I tried to add a product, basically those are the only things that I did prior to the issue.

>Barido : What are the steps to restore the original database?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

Here you are : http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Reinstalling-Magento-database/

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaw

Those are things I also did—added attributes and categories before adding products. If that matters. But the existing demo items also do not have valid popups for those three fields --- but they do show value in the Catalog > Manage Products page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

Deleting and recreating the database gets things working again. I have tested my previous actions, and have pinpointed this issue is related to creating a new attribute set. Setting categories, and creating an attribute did not cause it. As soon as I created a new attribute set (based on Default, no other changes) the products no longer had the drop down options.

I am pretty sure this qualifies as a bug, unless I am not setting something correctly in attributes.  I’m going to try it again from a fresh db but without creating a new attribute, just a new set from attributes already in there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

_

Total Posts:  152

rhino

You are absolutety right. I’ve tested it recently and this happened also in my store. Please use Bug Tracker to report this bug smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

Ok, so I tested with a fresh db and only created a new attribute set. I tried one with based on Default and another based on Cameras, both times, after saving the attribute set this issue occurs and you are not able to edit or add any products.

I will report it with to the Bug tracker. Thanks for all help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Just found this thread.
This is a pretty important Bug. Let’s rally around getting this looked at.  Magento Team...any incite? Is this just isolated to the attribute sets code or is there another module triggering the bug? I’ll see if I can find anything…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

Definitely an urgent bug. They are going to need to fix the problem in their backend demo or reload the demo database.

http://demo-admin.magentocommerce.com/admin/catalog_product/edit/id/135/

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

What was your workaround Rhino?  You just couldn’t use attribute sets at all?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rhino

I don’t have a workaround right now, other than to not create any new attribute set. I will have to wait for a fix before I can set up attributes specific to my products. I don’t think you can add an attribute set later to a product already created.

I have had to delete the database and start over each time (which also deletes all categories I had set up). Would really like to know if there is another way, so I don’t worry about spending too much time entering information like categories. Can I reload the last working database or something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Hmm.. .well then I’d like to *BUMP* this.  This is a serious bug. I’ve made a report as well, but lets keep the attention on this rhino. I’m trying to figure it out as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2