Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento do services? 

dav

Total Posts:  5

I want to Add a service such as Data Recovery. I would like to simulate a product but instead of checking out it has a box thats says “Request quote” or when you click on data recovery it takes you to a dynamic or static php page.

I was using zencart and would use the Document_Product and just changed the php for the services. How would I do that here?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dav

Total Posts:  5

Can I add to the price “Per Hour”

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Virtual products will be available with the next major release coming out this month.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jimmy G

Total Posts:  20

I will be using magento to also offer a service.  heli copter tou rs.  With our service we would like to collect/charge them online a % or fixed amount of the service price and the balance due at checkin.  If a customer buys a $600 flight package from us, I would like to be able to collect the deposit of $200 online and the remaining $400 when they arrive at the terminal to board their flight.  It gives them freedom to change credit cards or pay in cash when they arrive.

Will that be available in the upcoming release??

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Los Angeles, CA

@Gimmy G, essentially services such as yours will be possible with the next release of Magento. The way you collect or divide the payments depends on the way you set your individual product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jimmy G

Total Posts:  20

adimagento - 01 July 2008 08:38 PM

@Gimmy G, essentially services such as yours will be possible with the next release of Magento. The way you collect or divide the payments depends on the way you set your individual product.

the next release being 1.1?  or 2.0 ?

Could you elaborate or perhaps provide a link with more info on dividing the payments by setting up the individual product… =)

many thanks for you taking the time to answer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Los Angeles, CA

The next major release is 1.1 and it will have virtual products such as services. In terms of how to divide the cost and payment - a better place to ask this question would be the How Do I forum - You might find community members who have already implemented something similar and can advise.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community