Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I include extra info on the purchase receipt for certain products? 

RPGShop

Total Posts:  143

I would like to offer a free ebook version of a book when someone buys the printed version. To do this though, I’d need to add a line to the checkout confirmation email sent to the customer. I need to just add a line with a url/coupon to go retrieve the said book. But I don’t want EVERYONE checking out to get the notice. Only those buying the specific product.

So is there somewhere I can add checkout/purchase notes for a product and have it automatically emailed to people who buy that product at the time of checkout?

If not, then can anyone point me to the code base to attempt to hack this feature in? I am a programmer but this code base is scarry.

James
http://www.rpgshop.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Total Posts:  37
Michigan

I’m not sure it would be very easy inside Magento itself although I could be wrong. Are you using PayPal IPN or Google Checkout? Not sure if maybe them or maybe even other payment gateways have a way of sending that information back on a successful purchase. Unless Magento does have a place to put additional info upon a purchase for a specific product (which i haven’t seen, good idea though) it leaves only 2 options editing the template itself which makes it show on all receipts and wouldn’t be dynamically generated to match the book that was bought or the second option to hack Magento some to include some logic in the receipt generation.

As far as the codebase it’s really not all that hard when you get into it… a little heavy on code itself but it’s actually laid out well. It’s just a matter of figuring that out. Have you done much work with frameworks or just straight coding scripts in say index.php, login.php etc? The framework concept is a completely different monster than that way of coding but makes just as much sense when the context to why and how is provided. Sorry if that’s too much info and you already know frameworks and such, I guarantee you know about 300 times more about PHP than I do but it sounded to me that might be where you were hung up on the codebase.

Magento Community
Magento Community

oxygen

Total Posts:  69

hi,
I have the same requirement.
I need to send custom email to shopper who purchases from a specific category. Instead of the ‘New Order’ or ‘New Order for Guest’, I would create another email template just for this category.
The question is, where do I link this custom email to the category ID upon checkout?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RPGShop

Total Posts:  143

I just edited the template to put in a free book for everyone who orders… but I haven’t really figured out where/what to change/edit to check if a specific product is in the cart/order or not yet…

I’ll post if I ever have the time to do this.

RPGShop
http://www.rpgshop.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

rebeccama

Total Posts:  110

You can try out Magento Extension by FME for adding custom attributes on checkout form. Addional checkout attributes extension allows you to add different fields like drop down, check box, text field etc. at any position. For more information please read here;

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/additional-checkout-attributes-7685.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community