Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

configurable product edit

bwaggoner

Total Posts:  6

How do you add/remove additional super product attributes after creating a configurable product?

For example:

You create a shoe, with customizable sizes, one color. So when you create a configurable product you only choose “sizes” for the configurable attributes.

Now say you receive a new color in the shoe, with an additional set of sizes.

Now you have two colors. How do you add another color to the product and a different set of sizes for the new color?

And how do you change the available sizes depending on the color chosen?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bwaggoner

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Total Posts:  37
Michigan

The sizes will be easy.. the attribute is already tied to the Configurable product so all you have to do is go into Manage Attributes and add sizes to the Size attribute you created earlier. I’m looking into the other, gotta run for a minute. I’ll update you on what I find.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Total Posts:  37
Michigan

Ok haven’t done this before either but it hit me in the face when i looked for how to do it.  :D

Go into your configurable product and right on the first page that comes up, look at the top of the box that has the product name, etc. and there is a create new attribute button big and orange.  I never really payed much attention to know it was even there but that’s how you do it.

I would definitely recommend doing the additional sizes by adding them to the attributes panel that already exists for size and not adding an additional attribute or your going to end up with two drop down menus and I’m guessing some additional lag from having to pull another field from the database. I’m not 100% on the database thing but it’s already being pulled for the old one. If you need anything else let me know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bwaggoner

Thanks for the help.

I want a drop down box, one for color and one for sizes so having two drop down boxes is okay.

The problem is, i already have an attribute for color and an attribute for sizes created. But i only have the configurable attribute for sizes assigned to the product. I want to add another configurable attribute for color to the product, which i already have made, just not assigned to the product as a configurable attribute. Clicking the “Create New Attribute” button creates a new one, it doesn’t assign another attribute i’ve already created for color.

The only way i see to do it now is to delete the configurable product and re-add it with the new configurable attribute. This is a bit of a hassle.

Is this the only way to do it?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community