Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Internal Server Error

simplymarco

Total Posts:  8

Moshe - 11 October 2007 02:22 PM

@simplymarco: The last released version already can manage without “php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off” line.
Please try running Magento without this line.

@Moshe—Thank you for kindly offering a solution, however a simple commenting-out of the magic_quotes line gets me no farther than a 500 error.  See http://scope3design.com/magento/.  If I remove the .htaccess file, then at least I get to the success-but-not-quite page—the “Invalid PHP setup” page.  But I’ve checked my php5 settings with the file http://scope3design.com/check_info.php5, and it all seems ok, at least to my eyes.  To confirm, yes, I am trying to install the latest version magento-0.6.12840.tar.gz.

What could I be missing?  Does anyone have a non-work-around install setup on shared hosting at 1and1?

The quest continues.  Thanks all, I hope to be able to give back with CSS/layout advice once things get past this stage.

Big-up yourself, Magento Community.

-Marco

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Can you see in apache logs details for the error you get?

Magento Community
Magento Community

simplymarco

Moshe - 12 October 2007 08:23 AM

Can you see in apache logs details for the error you get?

@Moshe—Thanks so much for your followup.  I could use a bit more help. 

I’m trying to logging setup with a PHP script that 1and1 sent--since they don’t allow direct access to the Apache Log file.  But i’m not having much fun with it.  They sent me this code that I’ve put in a file called error_reporting.php, but honestly, I don’t know how to use it. 

error_reporting(0); 

$old_error_handler set_error_handler("userErrorHandler");

function 
userErrorHandler ($errno$errmsg$filename$linenum
$vars

{
     $time
=date("d M Y H:i:s"); 

// Get the error type from the error number 

$errortype = array (1    => "Error",

2    => "Warning",

4    => "Parsing Error",

8    => "Notice",

16   => "Core Error",

32   => "Core Warning",

64   => "Compile Error",

128  => "Compile Warning",

256  => "User Error",

512  => "User Warning",

1024 => "User Notice");

$errlevel=$errortype[$errno];

//Write error to log file (CSV format) 

$errfile=fopen("errors.csv","a")

fputs($errfile,"\"$time\",\"$filename

$linenum\",\"($errlevel$errmsg\"\r\n"); 

fclose($errfile);

if(
$errno!=&& $errno!=8{

//Terminate script if fatal error

die("A fatal error has occurred. Script execution has been
aborted"
);

}

Thanks in advance...thanks a ton!

-Marco

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

This will log PHP errors.. we need to get the web server logs, which is apache.
These are happening before php even launched so it’s not something we can retrieve by adding php code.

Maybe host support misunderstood your need, and usually apache logs are available to users in shared environments too…

Let’s try to remove from .htaccess these both lines:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
    php_flag short_open_tag on

Magento Community
Magento Community

simplymarco

Moshe - 12 October 2007 11:49 AM

This will log PHP errors.. we need to get the web server logs, which is apache.
These are happening before php even launched so it’s not something we can retrieve by adding php code.

Maybe host support misunderstood your need, and usually apache logs are available to users in shared environments too…

Let’s try to remove from .htaccess these both lines:

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
    php_flag short_open_tag on

I bet the host misunderstood me.  My bad for not knowing that the script would grab PHP errors, not Apache errors.  I’m so trusting rasberry

Both lines are out of the .htaccess file, as requested, now I’m just getting the “Invalid PHP” page.  Am I wrong to think that I have PHP5 configured correctly?  Does it matter that PHP4 is ALSO running, as I suspect.

I matched Magento’s PHP module system requirements against the PHP5 details found at my site http://scope3design.com/check_info.php5 --everything seems to check out fine. 

Magento is living at http://scope3design.com/magento —is that wrong?

Here are some snippets from access.log.current which may have the log information you asked me about earlier, but since I’m getting the “Invalid PHP” page, maybe it’s moot:

71.198.106.241 - - [12/Oct/2007:17:38:03 -0400] "GET /magento/index.php HTTP/1.1" 200 491 scope3design.com "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7" "-"

This is the error code I was getting earlier, before removing the two lines of code in the .htaccess file:

71.198.106.241 - - [12/Oct/2007:11:01:21 -0400] "GET /magento/ HTTP/1.1" 500 645 scope3design.com "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7" "-"

Thanks again Moshe and all!

-Marco

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

Do you have 2 .htaccess files, in root and in /magento ?

Could you paste contents of .htaccess files you have (clean out sensitive information)

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

simplymarco

Moshe - 12 October 2007 12:54 PM

Do you have 2 .htaccess files, in root and in /magento ?

Could you paste contents of .htaccess files you have (clean out sensitive information)

Thanks.

This is the contents of logs/.htaccess

Options +Indexes
Satisfy any
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from 172.17.0.0/16
Allow from 212.227.35.64/27
Allow from 212.227.34.190
Deny from all
RemoveType .html .gif
AuthType Basic
AuthName “Access for /logs”
AuthUserFile /kunden/homepages/6/d93404516/htpasswd
require user “I’ve blocked this”

There are no other .htaccess files on the server, verified with “find -name .htaccess”.

Thanks for your time and attention, Moshe!

-Marco

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

There should be .htaccess in magento folder with this content:

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

#RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule 
.* index.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

simplymarco

@Moshe—Yes.  I meant to say that there are no OTHER .htaccess files.  And to confirm, yes, the content is as above.  Still getting the Invalid PHP page.  Have I misinterpreted the PHP info at http://scope3design.com/check_info.php5.  I wish I had better news.  Thanks again!

Has anyone had success on Linux shared hosting at 1and1?

Magento Community
Magento Community

simplymarco

Update—I’ve given up trying to set up a little test run of Magento on shared hosting for 1and1. 

From other posts related to performance, it looks like dedicated hosting and lots of resources are really the only way to go.  My programmer’s not too happy with all the required PHP packages that Magento insists on, when, in his opinion the standard packages allow for faster queries and fewer resource demands.  He’s got a decade or more of experience programming web sites and can’t install Magento, even though he theoretically has all the components available. 

Too bad that it seems like so many people are having trouble getting this installed...I’ve set up all kinds of CMS’s and blog software packages that are much less demanding.  Maybe I’m trying to have it both ways; a great system that’s also fast and easy to install.  I can’t make a judgment about what’s correct or incorrect here, in terms of a programming philosophy, but I know my programmer’s is frustrated with me, and who likes that?

Good news is that I was able to get Magento up on my home linux box using XAMPP, but that’s hardly going to be a solution when it’s time to rollout production.  I’ve seen some people ask for minimum system requirements for Magento, but that’s already provided.  What I’d love to see is a recommended system from the Magento team.  Thanks again, to everyone, and happy ecommerce smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

simplymarco - 19 October 2007 11:17 AM

Update—I’ve given up trying to set up a little test run of Magento on shared hosting for 1and1. 

From other posts related to performance, it looks like dedicated hosting and lots of resources are really the only way to go.  My programmer’s not too happy with all the required PHP packages that Magento insists on, when, in his opinion the standard packages allow for faster queries and fewer resource demands.  He’s got a decade or more of experience programming web sites and can’t install Magento, even though he theoretically has all the components available.

This is still beta software, so problems are to be expected.  I’m sure the installation experience will improve by the time a production ready version is out.

That said, I would say that your problems lie with the host, and not with Magento. 1and1 is notorious for poor service and over selling.  There is no way you can offer 250 GB of disk space and 2500 GB of bandwidth a month for $10 and not be over selling.  Magento does require more than your typical web application at this point, but I don’t see that as a bad thing.  Anyone who is using a decent host most likely won’t have problems.  It seems to me that Magento is exposing the bad hosts, and that can only be good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

As i960 said Magento is currently in a beta preview release. We are working on improving performance and are constantly working on solving installation issues. I think it is way to early to “give up” on Magento wink.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

simplymarco - 19 October 2007 11:17 AM

My programmer’s not too happy with all the required PHP packages that Magento insists on, when, in his opinion the standard packages allow for faster queries and fewer resource demands.  He’s got a decade or more of experience programming web sites and can’t install Magento, even though he theoretically has all the components available.

I thought that your programmer might be interested to find out that there’s an argument on removing “standard packages (read mysql)” from the PHP core into PECL, while having PDO as a default driver is indisputable.
http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#move-non-pdo-db-extensions-to-pecl

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

Moshe - 23 October 2007 08:29 PM

I thought that your programmer might be interested to find out that there’s an argument on removing “standard packages (read mysql)” from the PHP core into PECL, while having PDO as a default driver is indisputable.
http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#id28

When I click on that link, it takes me to chapter 21 of the php manual.  It looks like the forum is replacing the tilde character with ~.  Replacing that bit takes you to the correct page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Los Angeles

@i960: thanks, editing the post leaves it as it should be smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community