Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Use sIFR within magento? 

samleaver

Total Posts:  45

I was just wondering if anyone has got sIFR (or a similiar flash replacement text script) to work in magento? and if so, how you went about it?

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Total Posts:  37
Michigan

What sort of things would you like to do with sIFR? It shouldn’t be very hard there is an xml file somewhere that has information for constructing the head of the document. I’m not a magento pro at the moment so maybe the file I am talking about isn’t the right place but I think it is. After that it should be as simple as adding whatever id/class the sIFR js file is looking for to replace text with the flash.

However sIFR should be used very sparingly. A few headers here and there isn’t so bad but you definitely don’t want to overuse it. Magento already has a few performance issues at the moment and overuse of sIFR has some drastic performance implications on a site. I’ll try to find the location of that xml file for you. The associated class/id will be found in the template files for Magento, I didn’t think about it before but you could use it on an existing id/class.

Magento Community
Magento Community

samleaver

Thanks for your reply, im just going to use it on the occasional header so it shouldnt affect performance too much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Michigan

I can’t seem to find that file.. I’ll look more when I have some time but you can also just find the template file that contains the text you want to replace and do the <script> tag there to include the sIFR js file.

Magento Community
Magento Community

samleaver

Thanks jenks, I found the file you were talking about, head.phtml, added the script links in there and the base script in footer.phtml, using it once on each page (category page header and product page header) seems to work fine with little noticeable performace difference.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jenks

Michigan

Cool congrats.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community