Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can I convert my “simple” products into “configurable” products? 

adam777

Total Posts:  38

Hi

I have already created about 200 “simple” products, but I’ve realised that half of these should be “configurable” products. Can I convert these “simple” products into “configurable” products? If so how could this be done?

Thanks for any assistance

Adam

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

You make configurable products out of simple products, so simply create a configurable product and attach the ones that should be associated with it.  Look in the screencasts or user guide if you don’t know how to create a configurable product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Total Posts:  190

adam777 - 25 June 2008 07:57 AM

I have already created about 200 “simple” products, but I’ve realised that half of these should be “configurable” products. Can I convert these “simple” products into “configurable” products? If so how could this be done?

Yes, I am wondering the same thing, is there a way to change a simple product to a configurable product?

I already have all of my simple products created so all I want to do is change a select number of them to configurable products without manually reentering all of them from scratch.

Specifically what field/fields values in the MySQL database define it as a configurable product? So far all I can find is that the configurable products has a value of “1” in the “has options” field where as all my simple products have a value of “0”.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community