Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Media Temple DV 3.0 Install Guide

bradgman

Total Posts:  13
Chciago IL

By a show of hands how many people would like a guide for installing on Media Temple DV 3.0 Systems?

If enough want it I will make a guide otherwise I can walk people through it step by step on GTalk

If you do need it, go ahead and submit a request for Shell Access to your Media Temple Server (Shell access is required for updating the php.ini, and setting up php5 support for domains) now so that when the time comes you are ready to install it.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Brad - I am in favor of a guide we can post on the wiki smile There are a lot of media temple customers on the site

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Will it work for gs? if yes, I would love a guilde pleaseeeee.

t

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Tried to reply here a couple times and they disappeared.

Anyways, I’m need a guide for this BIG TIME.  Have a call scheduled with another Magento member later tonight to try and figure it out, but if you’ve already done it, I can use your help big time.

PM sent, not sure if it’ll make it through (caching issues in Firefox).

I’ll send you my gtalk email once you reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

bradgman - 01 September 2007 11:43 AM

If you do need it, go ahead and submit a request for Shell Access to your Media Temple Server (Shell access is required for updating the php.ini, and setting up php5 support for domains) now so that when the time comes you are ready to install it.

Hi, I am not aware mt requires a special request for Shell Access. Can anyone confirm as I don’t see this? On its knowledge Base there is tutorial on Shell Access. The ticket support is pathetic, nobody helps at all. I reckon its telephone support is flooded with people who are trying to install Magtento smile

t

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Never mind. I found it.

http://kb.mediatemple.net/article.php?id=110

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

You can enable Shell access through Plesk yourself.  I asked (mt) about that last night and they said:

“Typically /bin/bash is used when enabling shell access for a domain user if you do not have a set preference for using a particular shell.”

But you do have to ask theym to give you ‘root’ access.  They said that takes about 15 minutes to activate.  They’ve always responded to my support tickets usually within an hour or two.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Travis,
thanks for the head-up. My ticket has not been answered since yesterday late afternoon. - I asked whether it’s the server that is causing open stream failure. If there can’t solve, at least have a courtesy to say no. Sorry for my rants, I seems never have good experience with web hosts and have just moved to mt for less than 3 months. Filed 3 tickets in 3 months, very slow response.

I will go right ahead asking for root access .

t

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

They love support tickets because they’re easy to track, but don’t be afraid to call their 1800 number.  I only had to hold for about 4 minutes late last night and they answered all of my questions within a few minutes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Hi Travis, are you on dedicated server?
I am just told I can’t have ‘root access’

Support response:
Unfortunately, customers do not have access to login as root on the (gs) Grid Service. If you need root access you would want to think about moving to a (dv) Dedicated Virtual server.

An eCommerce site probably need to run in Dedicated server, but this is for testing purpose. Very disappointed if I can’t test it on my shared server.

tee

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Oh sorry, yes, I am on a dedicated.  Didn’t notice that you were on a Grid Server.

From my understanding, their grid servers already have php5.2.2.  One of my partner’s servers (Grid-Server) shows the latest version when looking at the specs of the server he’s on.  Not sure whether or not every GS has this version or if some weren’t upgraded yet.

Have you tried the straight-forward install that doesn’t require the php workaround?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

Ok, I am working on putting everything down into a tutorial format for DV 3.0 Servers, I can NOT support GS servers in my tutorial as I don’t have access to one to test on.

You WILL need root level access to your server so you will need to put a request through the support system to get that. I will be using a program called Putty in order to connect to the server to do root level modifications. If your server already has PHP 5.2 installed then you should not need root level access. It is my understanding though that DV 3.0 Servers do not come enabled with PHP 5 and require root access to enable it.

Look for the tutorial later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning.

- Brad

PS I have received no PM’s so if you tried to send one try and resend it again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I went through this PHP5 upgrade on the dv 3.0 servers with Travis, but to no avail:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/article.php?id=260

After going through all those steps, and changing the conf to support the .php extension, still had no luck. .php files still read PHP4, and .php5 files read as text files.

Travis also tried that Magento cgi-bin hack and it only forwarded to a stock Apache page, pretty odd.

Be sure to post your guide in the wiki!

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Hi, I finally got an answer from mt Support that according to Magento system requirement, gs will support it, and no root access required.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

Currently Im trying to work out issues with PHP 5.2 support on DV 3.0 servers, so until further notice this guide is kind of stalled.

Magento Community
Magento Community

puleen

Total Posts:  2

If your guide will work for GS then I am definitely in agreement to have a guide available for MT customers, including myself.

bradgman, I can volunteer (in my free time) to add-on to your guide the steps to make it work in GS. Ofcourse, I would need to get it working and make sure that everything is running smooth.

Cheers!

Puleen

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2