Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Google Analytics can not track all sales transactions

tbganesha

Total Posts:  10

Hi Everyone,

I have configured Google Analytics according to thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6419/P15/
Google Analytics seems to be working.
But when I compare transactions from Google Analytics and transactions listed at Admin/Sales/Orders, there’s differences. Google analytics records only about third quarters of transactions that listed at Admin/Sales/Orders.

Do you guys have the same problem ? Is the problem with Google or with Magento ?
Please advice ?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

redpen

Total Posts:  254

Same problem here, even on latest Magento version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Does google analytics track the user visits and page views, just not the transactions?

Could be that people are blocking the google analytics tracking code (numbers of firefox plugins, for example, do this)

Could also be that people are somehow taking a different route to completing the transaction somehow that is falling outside of the funnel?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

Total Posts:  67

Same problem here, this IS a bug, can we have an official answer from devs ?
It is really a pain not to be able to trust GA datas (adwords keywords ROI, products performances, ...)

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

mfoillard,

can you provide any specifics as to why this is a bug as I am not seeing this problem(~250 orders /day) on 1.2.1.

1) You mention keywords issues, are you seeing all of the page views listed in Google Analytics and just the transactions not being registered as a transaction in the ECommerce tracking? (to find out if it is a page tracking issue or conversion tracking issue)
2) Are the browser type breakdowns the same for page views that they are for transactions (IE %, FF %, etc) (to figure out if it is tied to a certain browser)
3) Do you see any consistencies in when people are abandoning the funnel in Google Analytics (to figure out where tracking is stopping)
4) Do you have cache enabled on your site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

skippybosco - 06 February 2009 03:10 PM

mfoillard,

can you provide any specifics as to why this is a bug as I am not seeing this problem(~250 orders /day) on 1.2.1.

1) You mention keywords issues, are you seeing all of the page views listed in Google Analytics and just the transactions not being registered as a transaction in the ECommerce tracking? (to find out if it is a page tracking issue or conversion tracking issue)
2) Are the browser type breakdowns the same for page views that they are for transactions (IE %, FF %, etc) (to figure out if it is tied to a certain browser)
3) Do you see any consistencies in when people are abandoning the funnel in Google Analytics (to figure out where tracking is stopping)
4) Do you have cache enabled on your site?

First, i’ve installed webdruid to compare between visits count from apache server logs and those count by GA. It seems that GA losts about 30-40% (depends on which day i’ve tested) visits compare to what webduid counts.

Then, I have to mention that we use only Paypal and cheque as payement methods.

1) I mention keywords issues just to explain that GA lost some transactions so that we can’t trust datas which comes from GA like adwords keywords ROI, etc.. After further investigations, we found this is both a page tracking _and_ sell conversion tracking issue. I see only some sell transactions in GA. Moreover, GA shows some (but not all of them) orders which are flag as Pending in magento ! It means magento sends sell tracking for some order which are not paid whereas it should not, which is a big problem.

2) Difficult to say that this is a browser specific problem since webduid does not show me visits split by browsers.

3) Does not understand you question. Some transactions that are fully completed (customer goes to Paypal and pay the cart) are not send to GA.

4) Yes we have all caches enabled.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards,
Matthieu Foillard

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Glad you mentioned PayPal as that is more than likely the culprit.

If you consider the PayPal workflow

1) A customer fills out all of the registration on your site and selects to pay via PayPal.
2) They are sent to the PayPal website to complete the payment
3) Once they have completed payment they are given a button labeled “return to merchant”

This may explain why only a portion of your users are returning to your site’s success page and recording the completed transaction. #3 is an optional step for the customer since they have already completed payment and gotten a receipt number from PayPal. From a users perspective they are done, why return to the Merchant Website?

You should be able to verify this by checking the funnel on GA and checking where your abandonment customers drop off. If you see a lot of them dropping off at PayPal payment than this may be your culprit.

I accept credit cards only, which may explain why I don’t see this.

I think with PayPal payments Pro you can execute the entire transaction on your website (without directing to PayPal)

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

Most banks paiement API implements an autoresponse script which is called from the bank server to hit (using a post request if i’m not wrong) the merchant server so that the success of a transaction can’t be lost if the customer leave the bank server without returning to the merchant one.
Paypal API implements the same mecanism (as far as i know).

Does the customer browser send transaction data to GA after a successfull transaction ?
If this is the case, it is a non-sense since we can’t be sure the customer will return to the merchant website after he paid : In fact we can’t trust the user browser to do the job, and this is the mecanism which is currently implement (i’ve read quickly the source code, but maybe i’m wrong : app/code/core/Mage/GoogleAnalytics/Block/Ga.php).

This does not explain me how an order which is flag as Pending (which mean we’re waiting for the customer to send us the paiement) can be present in GA.
This also does not explain me how we send transaction datas to GA when we’ll receive the check/paiement and we’ll put the order to the processing status.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

The IPN happens as a backend transaction (PayPay server -> Your Website), not a part of the clients browser and as such is not recorded by Google Analytics since:

1) javascript is unable to process as a part of that process
2) Google analytics tracking is session based and the IPN happens as a part of a different session

Magento is working correctly. This is an issue with the PayPal implementation since it takes your customer away from your website and does not automatically take them back when payment is complete (evident by nearly every e-commerce forum has a similar thread like this for users using paypal standard integration)

PayPal offers a PayPal Payments Pro option which allows transactions to happen on your website (instead of redirecting the customer) similar to how a credit card transaction would work for Authorize.net.

This does not explain me how an order which is flag as Pending (which mean we’re waiting for the customer to send us the paiement) can be present in GA.

Are you saying it is showing as a completed transaction in GA?

Every page view on your website should be recorded in GA. Depending on how you have your “goals” defined in GA you should see Customers enter the funnel and then make their way through your site click by click. So in the case of a Pending order, you would, for example, see:

1) The customer hit your home page
2) Navigate to the product page
3) Click on Buy
4) Navigate through shopping cart
5) Abandon at the point of payment

Is this consistent with what you are seeing?

This is covered all over the web over various e-commerce applications.

Example:
http://teknohippy.net/2008/01/04/paypal-e-commerce-tracking-with-google-analytics/
http://www.e-junkie.com/bb/topic/2879
http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.com/showthread.php?t=14137
https://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65414&page;=2

If this is critical to you, an option is something like Authorize.net or PayPal Payment Pro

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

Why not use the Backend to send transactions data to GA instade of frontend ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

GA tracks information on a session/cookie basis. Sending it from the backend would record it as a separate session/client. While Your transaction numbers would match, you would create a lot of oddities such as any referential data (search word conversion $$, referrer conversion $$). You would also lose the funnel functionality since it would appear that all of your users would abandon at payment and that all of the payments came from a single IP (your server)

Short of paying via PayPal directly on your site (such as the Pro option), perhaps a solution is to open the payment in a separate window. In the initial window (your magento site) you would have the client browser poll the server to see if the payment is complete and if so redirect to the success page automatically.

I wish there was a way to have PayPal automatically redirect back to the merchant without having to have the user click the button but I suspect they want to retain the ability to provide receipt numbers ,etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

Best solution seems to use Paypal direct which is as far as i know not available for french account…
-> There is no way to use Paypal correctly with GA for us french people.
I’m so sad of this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

I’ve contacted Paypal support to find a way to automaticly redirect customers to the shop after the payment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

matt1237

Total Posts:  70
Washington State

tbganesha - 24 June 2008 01:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have configured Google Analytics according to thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6419/P15/
Google Analytics seems to be working…

Is it still necessary to do the fix found in the link above with Magento 1.1.8 and newer?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mfoillard

I’ve finally talked to PayPal devs. Paypal Express Checkout does automatic redirect to the shop after payment.
For french people, here is a small summary on how to setup PayPal express : Utilisation de PayPal Express

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Express can also pre-populate your customer address info in Magento I believe.

For those in the US, I still think PayPal payment Pro is the best choice. Keeps users on your site throughout the entire transaction:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-comparison

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4