Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Easily copying categories? 

mohaaea

Total Posts:  10

Hey there,

Does anyone know where Magento stores the list of product categories.  Is it in the database, in an XML file?  The reason I need to know this is because I have many repeat categories and would like to avoid having to manually enter them into the admin panel, when a simple copy and paste several times would be more efficient.

Thank you

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mohaaea

Bump.

Even if its not possible could someone please at least post that information so I could begin the long, hard, drudge through adding all of the categories to the menu.

Thank You.

Magento Community
Magento Community

djprajex

Total Posts:  1

I was wondering the same thing as well. The categories are in the database I am just unsure on the SQL code to actually do something like this. Im sure it can be simply done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mohaaea

Yeah I’m not sure where they store this information.  You would think that it would be listed in an XML file that is manually updated every time you change the categories in the admin panel.  I searched every xml file that looked suspect (everyone that the filename said anything about catalog and categories).

But then I also tried to look through the database and I couldn’t find anything in there.

This can’t be as hard as I’m making it.  But it is refreshing to hear that someone else is having the same issue.  I’m just surprised noone has any ideas.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mohaaea

Any luck djprajex.  I can’t figure this one out.

I am designing a car parts website with many categories in the main menu.  If the client wants to add a car type to his inventory, then that would mean that this change would have to occur in about 80 places, meaning it would be slow and take a long time just to do one update.

Does anyone out there have an answer for us?  For as busy and as these forums are and as quickly as my thread gets buried, I would think someone would at least have an idea as to maybe where to start looking.  downer

Magento Community
Magento Community

mohaaea

Ok I’m back, and this time with some infomrmation.

I used C# express edition to search all different types of files for a keyword that appears in my menu.

Files I searched through include:
xml
html
phtml
csv
php
css
js
htc
htaccess

In this case is searched for “acura” to see if it existed in any of the documents.  It didn’t.  Which leads me to believe that the list resides somewhere in one of the database files that Magento uses

Does anyone know which mysql database these reside inside of, and do you know which values need to be edited so that I can copy and paste the same category multiple times.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kalqlate

Total Posts:  26

Magento db schema is of the EAV paradigm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-Attribute-Value_model)

Thanks to fabulous member ggoodwin, you can download a BEAUTIFUL and clear database diagram here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/7359/#top .

I know your issue is urgent as all of our individual issues are urgent, but, in the case of fiddling with “extended” data in Magento, it’s probably better to file a request in the appropriate forum. The reason being that extended attributes in an EAV-based schema can be quite convoluted with multiple dependencies and it will be hard to determine what you could possibly break by updating without complete awareness of these dependencies.

That said, the above links should give you some greater insights as to where to look. If you do seek to work out a programmatic solution, try to think of the general case and program for that.

Cheers!
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

mohaaea

Thank you for the reply.  Yeah, we realized that changing the information in the database wasn’t going to be easy.  I don’t know why we assumed that it would be.  So what we ended up doing instead was just making the car manufacturers attributes instead of actually putting them in the main menu.  It was easier to do and in the end our main menu wasn’t terribly cluttered.

Again, thank you for your help.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community