Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 6
Poll
Should Magento support any Transport Agent
Yes sure 392
Yes Maybe 23
Yes 50
I don’t know 31
Total Votes: 496
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Use any smtp to send email (even gmail)

Chinmi

Total Posts:  2

I need this so desperately, is there any news to this? admins? I tried Miro’s but it didnt work,

magcurious: I am using 1.1.2 and there’s no “app/code/local/Zend/Mime.php: “

STUCK!!! please this is such an important feature.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

notzippy

Total Posts:  63

I originally had no email being sent from any part of magento, a big thanks for the person finding the information about the constant change, that did the trick
the file path is {magento_home}/app/code/core/Zend/Mime.php
Change constant
const LINEEND = “\n”;

Magento Community
Magento Community

andreladocruz
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Brazil

friends,

I tried it here but get a truncated html after sending the e-mail…

Any news about this?

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

tartan

Total Posts:  25

I’m on 1.1.2, and having no luck with this either.

My site is really close to going live, and I have to get this working.  I’m in an apache vhost environment as well, without a local mail server, so smtp auth with tls/ssl is critical for me.  I, however, use rollernet.us, not gmail.

How can I turn on PHP debugging to see what’s happening, and where will the log appear?

Thanks,
Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

andreladocruz
Guru

Brazil

to enable the log, go to:

System -> Configuration -> Advanced -> Developer -> Log Settings.

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

tartan

andreladocruz - 12 August 2008 05:31 AM

to enable the log, go to:
System -> Configuration -> Advanced -> Developer -> Log Settings.

Thanks, André.  I set Enabled to Yes, and have made sure the var/log directory exists and is writeable by the web user.  But the system.log file never appears.  Any idea what I’m missing?

Thanks,
Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

andreladocruz
Guru

Brazil

Not really....

sorry :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

tartan

I gave up on this method, and will wait for Varien to implement it someday.

My workaround for now is to use msmtp, which supports multiple smtp relay accounts.  This is useful for me, since I host virtual domains in apache, and each domain needs access to its own external mail server.  I like rollernet.us as a mail provider, and they require full smtpauth and tls/ssl.

Let me plug http://rollernet.us again—they’re awesome!  (I’m in no way affiliated with them—just a customer.  I like to send my clients to them for mail hosting, since they have awesome anti-spam capabilities.)

msmtp is really well documented, and you’ll learn a lot about mail: http://msmtp.sourceforge.net

With msmtp you can setup multiple accounts, and then call the account from the command line.  This is where the php setting, sendmail_path, comes in handy.  You can actually set sendmail_path in your apache vhost definition for the particular domain.

Here’s the php value within my vhost section of httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>

ServerName vhost1.com
    ServerAlias www
.vhost1.com
    php_admin_value sendmail_path 
"/usr/sbin/sendmail -a vhost1 -t "

</
VirtualHost>

And the /etc/msmtprc setup:

# default setup
defaults
tls on
tls_starttls on
syslog on

# account 0
account vhost0
host vhost0
.mailserver
from noreply
@vhost0.com
domain vhost0
.com
port 25
auth off
tls off

# Set a default account
account default : vhost0

# vhost1
account vhost1
host vhost1
.mailserver
from noreply
@vhost1.com
# this next line is to set EHLO strictly
domain www.vhost1.com
# tls trust file for vhost1.mailserver
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/Equifax_Secure_Global_eBusiness_CA.pem
port 25
auth on
user 
<username>
password <password>

The big flaw in this architecture—or using an external mail server directly if Magento ever supports it with smtpauth and ssl/tls—is the potential for lost outbound mail.  Let’s just say your external mail server becomes unreachable for some reason, and during that time, a shopper on your site requests a new account password, or he places an order, or whatever.  That outbound email will fail, and will be lost.  Magento does no mail queuing, nor does msmtp, nor does ssmtp, etc.

The solutions are:
1) Install a local MTA (postfix, qmail, etc) which can store and forward to your relay;
OR
2) Convince Varien to build mail queuing into Magento.  The queue could be scanned by cron every minute, and mail sent.

And now for something completely off-topic:
The next big topic is spam, rather, anti-spam measures implemented by your customers and their ISPs.  You really, really need to make sure you have all of your t’s crossed and your i’s dotted, so that outbound mail conforms to every possible smtp standard, so your sent messages don’t get flagged as spam.  This is a big topic, beyond the scope of this thread.

Good luck!

Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

tartan - 13 August 2008 06:04 AM

The big flaw in this architecture—or using an external mail server directly if Magento ever supports it with smtpauth and ssl/tls—is the potential for lost outbound mail.  Let’s just say your external mail server becomes unreachable for some reason, and during that time, a shopper on your site requests a new account password, or he places an order, or whatever.  That outbound email will fail, and will be lost.  Magento does no mail queuing, nor does msmtp, nor does ssmtp, etc.

I agree, and it’s a problem I have had to deal with on my osCommerce site.  I have been using PHPMailer on that site to send through gmail.  After awhile of it working pretty good, I noticed some strange behavior where some pages would take forever to load and then just result in a blank page.  I narrowed it down to that only happening when emails were being sent, and through testing I found that Google’s servers were sometimes taking a long time to respond.  The solution for me was to install a contribution that queues all the email in the database and then a scheduled task runs every 3 minutes to send them out.  Works perfectly.  For Magento I decided to not mess with any of this and I will be building my own mail server.  I have an extra Dell PowerEdge 1850 that is a bit overkill for an email server but it’s not being used for anything else.  I’ll be switching from Windows to Ubuntu on both the email server and web server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tartan

i960 - 13 August 2008 08:34 AM

The solution for me was to install a contribution that queues all the email in the database and then a scheduled task runs every 3 minutes to send them out.  Works perfectly.

This would be incredibly useful in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DSchild

Total Posts:  12

Are there any updates to this? I’m on 1.1.3
I fuddled my way through learning Debian because apparantly Magento doesn’t work on Windows (image uploads don’t work).
So now I find out email doesn’t work if I have an external mail server… We have a different box with login required smtp. Can anyone tell me where I would set this up?

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Bakersfield, CA

DSchild - 14 August 2008 02:14 PM

Are there any updates to this? I’m on 1.1.3
I fuddled my way through learning Debian because apparantly Magento doesn’t work on Windows (image uploads don’t work).
So now I find out email doesn’t work if I have an external mail server… We have a different box with login required smtp. Can anyone tell me where I would set this up?

Magento works fine on Windows.  I’m running it on Windows Server 2003 for now, although it is a tad slow.  Testing on my local Ubuntu machine is considerably faster, even though it’s just an old Athlon XP desktop machine with 512 megs of ram.  I don’t know how much of the difference is the OS or not.  The Windows server is a Dell PowerEdge with a dual core xeon and 4 GB of memory.  Setup between the two is nearly identical except for differences created by the different OS’s.  Hell, I’m even running APC on the windows box and it’s still slower.  No idea what the problem is.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DSchild

Sorry i960, but this is an issue I’ve been working on for the last week. Finally yesterday I saw in the install guide that Magento has problems with uploading images under windows.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/magento-installation-guide
“Under Windows, image uploads do not work at this time.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Bakersfield, CA

@DSchild:  That’s odd.  I’ve never had a problem with uploading images with Magento, and until a month ago I always had it installed on Windows.  Maybe there are just certain configurations or something that cause that particular problem, and it hasn’t been tested enough to figure out why.  Either way, I’m dumping Windows in favor of Linux.  Just seems to be a much better platform for running web apps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DSchild

I made the switch too. Having never setup a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) I found the following article extremely helpful.
http://www.aboutdebian.com/internet.htm

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 6