Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Front Page Customization

Christian_Norway

Total Posts:  135

Hi Guys,

I’ve working on a few things for my site.

0. Flash banner (showing products) - Manually created
1. Featured products (similar to Grid view), however larger pictures, and different design
2. Featured products (similar to Grid view), but more horizontally/list type
3. New Customer Reviews (Horizontal box) listing last 10 reviews
4. New Products (Horizontal box) listing last 10 Products
5. New Product Ratings (Horizontal box) listing last 10 Ratings

I’ve seen the post and the wiki bit on Featured products, and even with my fairly good knowledge of css, php, html, mysql etc. I can’t get it to work.

So if someone can try to help me explain that again it would be great.

0. Flash banner.
- Which file(s) do I need to amend so to add a Flash banner.
- If I want the Flash object to go across all 3 columns how can I do this. I want to keep a 3 column layout for the “Main/Front Page”
- Another forum post for Flash on Main paget * Is this the right way to do it, so not to get in trouble when a future update is taking place?
- Thread 9972

3,4 and 5. Are all going to be similar in design. However they pull out different data for the database

- Is there a rating system for products in Magento?
- How can I pull out the title of the last 10 products added, and the URL

An example of most of the feature I am looking for can be seen here on http://www.komplett.co.uk or http://www.komplett.no

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

I will address these best I can.

0.  I would think that all you would need to do is just embed the flash banner in the phtml file.  I basically scrapped most of the existing Magento design for my site and recoded from scratch, easiest way in my opinion (http://www.camoflex.net).  You can see that I have a large header image there, all you would need to do is replace that with your flash header code.  The primary 3Columns.phtml file that is the homepage by default has the three columns below the header div, so I wouldn’t think that would be a problem at all.

1/2.  The easiest way would be to create a static block and just add in your featured products with your custom pictures/layout etc and then just include that in the frontend.  If you are looking for a more sophisticated solution then you would have to do some code changes.  I would think something along the lines of adding an attribute all the products (featured) and then in a code block checking and listing all featured products, then you could inside the product tell whether it is featured or not.  Any layout issues there is purely css.

3/4/5.  Those are mainly CSS layout issues and possibly slight changes to template files with the loop logic that pulls them out.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian_Norway

Total Posts:  135

I’ve been reading the “designer’s Guide” and the “featured product” on wiki. However I still don’t get how to do any of my 5 points above. I can’t even get the wiki on featured products to show on my main page. I’ve tried 3 times now.. not sure what I am doing wrong.

And the other points that I need, I probably need someone to give an advice on what files to amend or some sample code.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community