Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
LightingSale.com launched using Magento

ryanb

Total Posts:  91

LightingSale.com, an online store that sells light fixtures, lamps, light bulbs and other products launched last week using Magento. With over 20,000 products and growing, LightingSale.com is one of the largest Magento stores out there.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

netgain

Total Posts:  3

Nice site & concepts!

The site seems to be running very slowly.

In fact, I chose LED lighting and then selected show “ALL” per page (5 pages of results combined) and the connection to your server timed out.  Other clicks made me wait for 10 or more seconds before the next page even tried to load.

Having 20,000 product listings and growing is a good number.  Have you noticed any slowdowns in site performance based upon the number of products in the database?

Are you on a shared virtual server, or dedicated host?

Are you monitoring your server processes & resources while searching is occurring?

Andrew A

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

ryanb - 22 June 2008 05:38 AM

LightingSale.com, With over 20,000 products and growing, LightingSale.com is one of the largest Magento stores out there.

Great job Ryan and congratulations on the successful launch!

The site is extremely professional and shows the capabilities of Magento on a larger scale.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skooks

Total Posts:  7
Denver, CO

Hey,
Did you notice the site isn’t usable in IE 6 & IE7?

I’ve got my own magento sites and I noticed on this site that I can’t add things to the Cart in IE6 & in IE7 if I add it to the cart when I go to checkout it shows an empty cart.
Let me know if you noticed this.  It’s been reported as a bug but I think it’s critical to getting a store online with confidence.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

@skooks: I’m just curious, what do your Session Cookie management values look like? I have been able to reproduce the behaviour you are referring to, but I’ve also been able to fix the problem by adjusting these values. Also, have you checked these settings across default, website and web store? In one case, I found that although the “use default config settings” was marked in the website, but the webstore was left blank. After making some changes, it doesn’t appear that IE6 or 7 are dropping the session prematurely.

@ryanb: I’m not sure if this happens all of the time, but when I did add a single item to you cart and request a shipping quote, I received the following error when I hit the update button:
There has been an error processing your request.SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1452 Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`lighting_magento/sales_quote_address`, CONSTRAINT `FK_SALES_QUOTE_ADDRESS_QUOTE` FOREIGN KEY (`parent_id`) REFERENCES `sales_quote` (`entity_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE)
Trace:
#0 /home/lighting/public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Statement.php(283): Zend_Db_Statement_Pdo->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/lighting/public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(406): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/lighting/public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(206): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query(’INSERT INTO `sa...’, Array)
#3 /home/lighting/public_html/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(484): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query(’INSERT INTO `sa...’, Array)
#4 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Eav/Model/Entity/Abstract.php(1018): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->insert(’sales_quote_add...’, Array)
#5 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Eav/Model/Entity/Abstract.php(848): Mage_Eav_Model_Entity_Abstract->_processSaveData(Array)
#6 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Abstract.php(235): Mage_Eav_Model_Entity_Abstract->save(Object(Mage_Sales_Model_Quote_Address))
#7 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Checkout/controllers/CartController.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Abstract->save()
#8 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(342): Mage_Checkout_CartController->estimateUpdatePostAction()
#9 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(159): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’estimateUpdateP...’)
#10 /home/lighting/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(146): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#11 /home/lighting/public_html/app/Mage.php(427): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#12 /home/lighting/public_html/index.php(40): Mage::run(’default’)
#13 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

First of all—I’d like to thank everyone who look the time to look at the site and provide feedback. I am hopeful that future versions of Magento will be helpful in resolving some of the issues we are having now.

@netgain: We are aware of some speed issues because of the large number of products in the database. The site is hosted with Crucial Web Host on their Magento Container Pro plan. Believe it or not, it used to be so slow it was completely unusable—it took a lot of tweeking just to get it from unusable slow to usable slow.

@skooks: I know our site was down briefly today because of a problem. I access the site using IE 7 and IE 6 all of the time and have not had any problems. We have already had several customers order things using all different types of browsers. I am interested to know if you’re still having a problem accessing the site now?

@dan_w:  I just added a single item to the cart and requested a shipping quote. That error did not reproduce itself. I will look into this. Thanks for letting me know!

Magento Community
Magento Community

netgain

Total Posts:  3

Ok, so it is a shared hosting environment.

How much CPU/RAM is allocated to your site?  I know most LAMP virtual hosts limit the amount of CPU resources that can be allocated to any one account.  Like, maybe it’s limited to only processing a total of 16MB.  The machine may have 4GB of RAM and a screamin’ fast CPU, but any one site owner may be squeezed into a tiny fraction of that processing power via quotas that are quite unfriendly towards database driven sites.  More than 1/2 the time I’ve dealt with tech reps that support customers for virtual web hosting are completely unaware that their servers have processing quotas until they ask the Senior-level guy.

The catalog that I need to put online right now happens to have 21,000 products.  I’m particularly interested in the knowing the particulars of your implementation as a benchmark.  Maybe the magic “cutoff” for using share virtual hosting vs. dedicated happens to be 10,000 products in the hosting environment you currently have.

It’s those kinds of questions that determine whether it’s more cost effective to buy a dedicated box versus using a commercial ecommerce app with a commercial database.  As is—I would be fairly uncomfortable with the current performance of your site, and certainly wouldn’t try to add any more products to the database until the speed is improved.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

We started out on a dedicated server at EliteRax. I made all of the changes suggested in the performance blog. Magneto was extremely slow—so slow it was unusable. We then moved to crucial web hosting. They have servers with dual quad-core processors and 16gigs of ram in each server. We are on a server with like 3 or 4 others.

The biggest difference though was not just the power of the server but the fact that it was optimized for Magento—I am not sure all of the things that the guys at crucial do, but its more than just what the performance blog post tells you to do and it runs much better on their system.

However, magento 1.0 just seems “so-so” with handling a large database as of now. Even with all of the time and expense put into optimizing the server, it still performs at a barely acceptable level. If any other e-commerce platform were running on this server page loads would be near-instant. 1.1 is supposed to have a number of performance improvements, so I am hopeful that will help.

Do you have any specific comments about our site’s speed and performance? How long did it take pages to load for you?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

I like the overall speed for such a large size store. There is one thing that will hopefully be addressed with 1.1 and that has to do with layered nav attributes. For instance when I go to Lamps->Table Lamps and click on the Price attribute for 0-$10,000 which has 895 values, it takes a LONG time to apply the filter. This is not the first time I’ve seen this. In fact, I haven’t seen a magento install with a large product database and ALOT of layered nav attributes across different categories where the layered nav performs well. For one or two properties like color, size, manufacturer with a relatively small database, it works fine. However, when you start throwing stuff in there like item_classification, use, style, which themselves, depending on the setup can have 1000 variations, the layered nav function really crawls. I have to say though, that even with 20,000+ skus, the layered nav on your site is still usable, just probably the slowest part of the site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

dan_w - 27 June 2008 12:16 PM

However, when you start throwing stuff in there like item_classification, use, style, which themselves, depending on the setup can have 1000 variations, the layered nav function really crawls. I have to say though, that even with 20,000+ skus, the layered nav on your site is still usable, just probably the slowest part of the site.

What happens when you go back to that page again, is it faster or is there no difference? I ask because, if no one’s clicked on that view, it wouldn’t have been cached (both by Magento and MySQL).

If that’s the case, it would be a good idea for larger sites to use those programs that will access all the pages on your site, that way everything can be cached and, if running MySQL query cache, then MySQL can be cached as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Crucial,
Good point...honestly, sometimes the smallest things slip my mind. Of course if no one has clicked, then query caching/magento caching, won’t...well do anything. Yes, since most of these sites have recently launched on magento, clearly the caches will not have been built up yet.

Yes. Once the layered nav filter has been applied once, the filter works fine. I had only looked at the site in firefox and opera, but I just checked it out in IE6&7;, and have to say that is probably one of the smoothest (read most usable and fastest) magento installs I have seen in IE. Well done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

dan_w - 27 June 2008 12:50 PM

Good point...honestly, sometimes the smallest things slip my mind. Of course if no one has clicked, then query caching/magento caching, won’t...well do anything. Yes, since most of these sites have recently launched on magento, clearly the caches will not have been built up yet.

It’s especially hard to keep the cache when you’re still in development hmmm

And speaking of MySQL query cache, if you’re on shared hosting and query caching is enabled (which is rare), you will most likely constantly have your cache cleared because the server and services will frequently be restarted. For example, if a new user is added to the server, MySQL is restarting. There goes your cached entries. It has to rebuild again.

Another thing I noticed on this site, was that mod_deflate was not uncommented in the .htaccess file. I’m not entirely sure why Magento comments this out, by default, in the .htaccess file. I can definitely tell the difference when it’s on. I have since enabled it on the site and don’t really see a speed issue (1-2 second page load times, 3-4 second add to cart).

It also helps to always have the latest version of Magento running.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

I’m not entirely sure why magento comments this out, by default, in the .htaccess file.

lol in one of my installations i’ve uncommented it right after downloading the installer..

well, i had a great time staring at empty pear installation console and waiting for output to come up… until it showed everything at once O.o
only then i realized that if you enable mod_deflate, ob_implicit_flush doesn’t really do anything smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Saharian - 27 June 2008 09:24 PM

well, i had a great time staring at empty pear installation console and waiting for output to come up… until it showed everything at once O.o
only then i realized that if you enable mod_deflate, ob_implicit_flush doesn’t really do anything smile

That’s strange. The way mod_deflate is being called, it would only be activated if you had the extension installed. It _does_ do something though. Run an HTTP analyzer on a Magento store without mod_deflate against one without it and you’ll see that GZIP compression is enabled on the store with mod_deflate enabled.

http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php

Uncompressed = http://demo.magentocommerce.com
Comprsesed = http://www.magentocontainers.com

The difference is more noticeable on a refresh.

And I’ve never had a problem with mod_deflate and MagentoConnect either hmmm

Magento Community
Magento Community

sokara

Total Posts:  2

wow , thats pretty slow even for a $400 per month hosting. lol.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nigeljh

Total Posts:  6
England

Hi there ryan,
I’m after doing a store of a similar size myself. Roughly how long did it take you to get all the data in ? And how ?
Did you put all into a spreadsheet, export to csv/xml and then import ?

I ask because I can see a huge cliff of time rising up before me when I start ..
regards,
nigel

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2