Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I: Change the Catalog Input Type for Store Owner field

Xionicfire

Total Posts:  38

Currently I have it set at “Mutiple Select”

and i would like to change it to “Drop Down”

I really dont want to have to remake all those options all over again its way too many, both interfaces look like they should be compatible.

Anyone know what would i need to change on the MySQL Tables to get this to work?

Thanks in advance

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

UrKo

Total Posts:  22

why magento never answers a question?? im looking for that too! Although i like your product im really dissapointed of the support here. At least some1 knows what to do!?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BizSync

Total Posts:  19
Boston, MA.

You can buy support, the product is open-source.  The forums are community supported, Varien is in the business to make money on support and Web development, I suggest if you need support, go here:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/services/overview

Magento Community
Magento Community

UrKo

Total Posts:  22

this is the down side of the open source wink....no support or payable support...sometime i wish the product would be payable just so u get good support wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

balero

Total Posts:  170
埼玉県所沢市

I think the question is: Is there a way to change the Catalog Input Type for Store Owner in the Magento interface, or does it require a hack of some sort?

This question can either be answered something like (1) Yes, go to xxxx and make sure xxxx is selected as No and the popup menu will be activated to be changeable, or something like (2) No, but a Varien or a consultant can dump, modify and reload the database for you.

Which is it? A simple, polite answer along the lines of 1 or 2 will suffice. Why launch into the flamewar? Yes, we all realize that if the answer is 2, we need to pay for support. But first answer the question as 1 or 2.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zoooj

Total Posts:  34
London, United Kingdom

My advice is to think logically. What I did was create a new attribute called ‘colour’ (yes I’m from England). Then, I moved it into the default attribute set and moved ‘color’ out. This means I have complete control over the ‘colour’ attribute.

Next, to enable it, I added this in ~/template/catalog/product/view.phtml

<?php if ($_product->getColour()):?>
    <?php 
echo $_helper->productAttribute($_productnl2br($_product->getColour()), 'colour'?>
<?php 
endif;?>

And, that’s it.

In my opinion, Varien have done a great job getting this product out and their attention should be focused on product development. Going open-source = being prepared to learn how something works. In my case, it’s not so much being prepared as positively enjoying the challenge!

Magento Community
Magento Community

jacanterbury

Total Posts:  8

Actually you can simply rename the existing ‘color’ attribute to ‘colour’ - or at least the label that appears on screen to the customer.

1- select ‘color’ attribute in CATALOG/ATTRIBUTES/MANAGE ATTRIBUTES
2- select the * Manage Label / Options tab
3- edit the field labelled ‘Admin’ [ not Default Store View ]

Magento Community
Magento Community

evilhitesh

Total Posts:  3

Guys if you still waiting for the solution or anybody just came here to find a reply rather than complaints. Please try this.

You must have firebug plugin installed in Firefox browser. you must try this fix on a local copy of Magento first or have a backup first. Don’t start complaining again if it eats your Magento up.
go to admin> manage attribute > click your existing attribute you wanna change > Now inspect the ‘Catalog Input Type for Store Owner’ select box and remove the disabled=’disabled’ by editing HTML element via firebug. Now this select box is enable for you. Choose your option you want and press save. > Don’t forget to re-index if required. best,
Hitesh Agarwal

Magento Community
Magento Community

kristianjeffrey

Total Posts:  16

Thanks evilhitesh good answer!

Magento Community
Magento Community

evilhitesh

Np, It was a suggestion only actually i haven’t got time to check it myself but do let us know if it works for you or any other who checked it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

daojia

Total Posts:  2

This Firebug trick didn’t work on 1.6 ...
Any other idea ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

evilhitesh

I think it should work

UPDATE `eav_attribute` SET `backend_type`=\’varchar\’, `frontend_input`=\’multiselect\’ WHERE `attribute_id`=xyz LIMIT 1;
UPDATE `eav_attribute` SET `source_model`=NULL WHERE `attribute_id`=xyz LIMIT 1;

NOTE: Please Take care of the fact that i haven\’t got the chance to test this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

phobart

Total Posts:  1

Seriously, I can\\\’t stand another roadblock.  It seems like I get over one hurdle just to be faced with another.  I am reading that I\\\’m not alone.  Why is it not possible to switch the catalog input type?  Are you kidding Magento?  This should be like one of the first things that was fixed.  You\\\’re on like the 20th version and you still haven\\\’t fixed the basics.  Absolutely pathetic!  Now what am I supposed to do?  There are so many good things about this software, but there are also lots of bad.  One thing that comes to mind is the color swatch.  What kind of e-commerce software doesn\\\’t have color swatches?  And product image swapping?  In Magento if you click on a thumbnail it opens a pop-up window.  What is that about?  Absolutely ridiculous.  I think OpenCart even has color swatches by now.  Magento really needs to step up its game or a lot of people are going to start moving to other platforms.  And I\\\’m not even going to get into data exporting.  I almost threw up when I looked at the way Magento spit out my data (csv).  It will take me almost as long to sort my data as it will to manually enter it.  I\\\’m sorry if I\\\’m coming across harsh, I\\\’m just really frustrated right now.  I know I will fix this catalog input issue and life will move on, but I just didn\\\’t want to have to face another problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jvirtuel

i moved from magento to prestashop since magento 1.4.. unfortunatly i have now to do some work for a customer on magento, i see that now it is version 1.7 and stile same crape i highly recommend you to test the prestashop it is opensource too.. and come with the basic tools like color attribute swap stuf and things lol, template is on smarty very easy to handle honestly.. anyway the bigest update from 1.4 to 1.7 is that fiiinaly they did add the wysiwyg editor for the text lol, congratulation magento, moving on was the best decision of my life loool

Magento Community
Magento Community

bappa06

Total Posts:  23

Hi evilhitesh

SQL statements work perfectly

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

VishJ