I was wondering if anyone uses or could use Magento to run a membership site where people order a product/service and are automatically billed on a monthly basis. Are there any examples of this and how is it done?
I know from a webshop I once operated that www.worldpay.com offer recurring payment services through their FuturePay feature.
Using this, you can set up subscriptions, or payment by instalments, or more complex arrangements - enabling you to claim payments at regular or irregular intervals, and for fixed or variable amounts. FuturePay enables you to set up arrangements that are even more flexible than direct debit agreements, including taking a payment before the scheduled payments start.
Hopefully this can help you along. You can read more about it here:
@RickW, recurring billing is not available with the latest release of Magento. It is on the roadmap and may be available in future releases.
norbolig’s suggestion sounds like a very good one. There are new payment modules developed by the community through Magento Connect every day. This could be available in the near future as well, given the demand for this particular extension.
I’ve found a company that has built a pretty neat recurring billing manager as an add-in module for magento. We use it on http://lcslifecoach.com and it works for us. If anyone is interested, you can see some info on it at http://store.skywireusa.com/skywire-recurring-module-for-magento.html
Ok here’s the mod to the Phoenix Worldpay module that supports Futurepay. It worked perfectly fine for months on my setup (http://www.be-the-woman.com) but is entirely untested otherwise… I use guest checkout but I’m pretty sure it will work fine otherwise
* Supports FuturePay recurring billing with all Futurepay options definable per-product
* Direct checkout on Futurepay products (skips cart). Currently enforced, ie no option to use cart for Futurepay product
* Logs futurepay transaction result and id number in Magento Sales backend
* Additional feature added to WorldPay payment module to allow custom return URL on errors.
A few things to know first:
- It’s based on Phoenix’s 0.9beta version not there latest 1.0 release. If anyone could update the module I’d be greately appreciative…
- It’s entirely unsupported by Phoenix. I offered it to them but they weren’t interested. If anyone else wishes to release it as an additional open source module then please contact me…
- Its doesn’t yet update the clients records for payments past the initial one
- Not sure how it works with multiple payment options…
- There’s no installer yet and I’m not certain how the instructions below will be affected by Phoenix’s 1.0 upgrade…
How to install:
- Install Phoenix worldpay module. Setup Magento to use this payment method.
- Remove all the files in the app/code/communtiy/Phoenix, etc.. path and replace with the attached files.
- Clear the Magento cache and load a page. Edit Product in the backend should now show a FuturePay tab…
We use it on http://lcslifecoach.com and it works for us.
My compliments to what seems to me to be a thoroughly thought-through product/service portfolio.
Regarding the “recurring pricing module”, I see you have a 19$ on-line subscription, and I assume you use the module to incur this product of yours, BUT I don’t see anywhere on the pages a product that incurs an on-line subscription where you see it’s a per week/month/year subscription that is added to the cart. Is that because you don’t have that kind of a service, that you haven’t got that far with the script yet, or that it does not work setting it up that way and that it doesn’t then include a “per month” or similar type of text after your price in the shopping cart?
I can recommend our private sale solution. Fully working script with private sale module, invitations, store management, rewards module, email subscriptions, site-access permissions, membership and more. We also have online demo. Here is our product page: http://www.plumrocket.com/solutions/how-to-create-a-membership-website/