Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

XAMPP Installation Guide [PDF]

bradgman

Total Posts:  13
Chciago IL

I have written a 4 page guide that will guide you step by step through the setup of XAMPP in a Windows Environment.
It takes you from downloading XAMPP to the configuration of the Magento Installer.

Magento_Installation.pdf

Any questions or comments should be posted to this board and not this topic.

Constructive Criticism Should be posted to this topic.

- Brad

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Brad! I’ve updated the wiki with a reference to your PDF file http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/Installing-on-Windows-with-XAMPP-and-WAMP/

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

looking at the guide, i’m pretty sure you dont need dom_xml enabled. thats a php4 function and it’s generally not recommended to be on for php5. dom is enabled by default in php 5.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

Thanks for the info iblastoff, I updated the guide to your advice.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catsoup

Total Posts:  4

Hello world ^^
First thanks to you Bradgman for making this guide !!
But i’ve some problems during install....although i’ve unlock the mcrypt ...etc.... i always have this warning message :"PHP Extension “mcrypt” must be loaded...”
And there is also the fact that even if ‘ve changed the “Read-Only “ permissions ....it reappears every time as read only....

Apologize for my bad, no fluent english…

Best regards,

Catsoup

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

Did you make sure that you edited the php.ini under the Apache/conf/bin directory and not under the php directory? Thats the mistake I first made a long time ago when I started playing with XAMPP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catsoup

Thanks for your fast reply....but i must desinstall xampp...it has ruined some of my licenses....i will retry after a long period of reinstall....because restaure the system didn’t seemed to work…
Grrrrrr one week-end lost and i didn’t manage to install magento!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
O_O”................i’m tired of trying to make it works.....

But you were right i ‘ve updated the wrong php ini....but i will not reinstall xampp for sure!!
Anyway thanks for your help!

Catsoup

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

I am kind of lost on how XAMPP could have screwed up any license problems with any other software. XAMPP is really good about really not doing anything outside of the xampp directory. The only way XAMPP may have caused a problem is if you had a license server for some software which was running on port 80, which is highly unlikely.

Hopefully you will reconsider as XAMPP is a great product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catsoup

You were right for xampp .........and ......I finally succeed in installing Magento !!!!!....^^
Thanks for your help…
But i must go to sleep ....my eyes are burning ! ^^

Magento Community
Magento Community

bradgman

Chciago IL

Congratulations on getting Magento setup and running, any constructive crit on the guide is welcome.

- Brad

Magento Community
Magento Community

ad2joe

Total Posts:  60

Hello,

A guide for after “Continue with install, all should be good!” would be great. There are some of us that installed on windows, in my case with wamp 1.7.2, and after admin login, or in front-end, get exception ‘Mage_Eav_Exception’ with message ‘Invalid attribute requested: name’ in C:\wamp\www\magento\app\Mage.php:288 or related.

Thanks, Joe.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community