Magento Forum

My current Magento Project

Ron Phillips

Total Posts:  57

It’s been 2 months of learning how to code with Magento, and I still have a more tweaking of the CSS and templates and I need to write a Subscription and Pre-order module (fun times). I am happy that I was able to get the current functionality on main page: Pull content based on multiple categories, by release date and randomize items based on a featured product (though they haven’t marked many featured as of yet).

So for your perusal ... A Comic Book Company Shop

Note, I’ve primarily been designing for FireFox and Safari ... there are still spacing issues in IE6+.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

I think this is my favorite so far (if not then its pretty high up there on the list).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

sdb - 23 June 2008 09:02 AM

I think this is my favorite so far (if not then its pretty high up there on the list).

Thank you sdb. smile

We’ve got some more integration to do, plus some cool non-magento add-ons.

We’ve gotten a few hits from the link here, no comments. So I appreciate you liking it. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Hi Ron,

I can only tell you this, you are good! So different from the Magento Themes, and still Magento. Nice phpBB integration as well.

The site could be faster though. Hopefully Magento 1.1 will do the job.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

norbolig - 24 June 2008 06:42 PM

Hi Ron,

I can only tell you this, you are good! So different from the Magento Themes, and still Magento. Nice phpBB integration as well.

The site could be faster though. Hopefully Magento 1.1 will do the job.

Thanks norbolig. smile

The speed seems variable, also I’m not utilizing caching. But yeah, I’m looking forward to 1.1 ... This site will be moving to another server in a couple days, right now it’s running off my little sandbox.

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Very comic-book’ish. One suggestion, put some :hover style on the primary navigation. Also, some active navigation would be a big usability plus to let users know where they are.

Might want to check the site in Opera as well, nothing major, but see the following:

Image Attachments
screen.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

Crucial - 25 June 2008 11:55 PM

Very comic-book’ish. One suggestion, put some :hover style on the primary navigation. Also, some active navigation would be a big usability plus to let users know where they are.

Might want to check the site in Opera as well, nothing major, but see the following:

I’ve discussed the navigation with the site owners, and yes I agree with you.

There was a nice mouse over on the main navigation, but the company owner didn’t like it. And I’ve suggested using bread crumbs. Those are low priority to the powers that be. Lots of sub pages that still need to be addressed.

Thanks for the screen shot. I’ll install opera and check it out. I’m having problems with that area cross browser. The main browser of choice for the company is Safari, which beefs up the font, renders it heavier than IE and Firefox on the PC. So I bumped down the size and now it looks to small in Opera, and it’s still too big on FireFox for the Mac.

I’m leaning towards making it graphical instead of textual. Are there hacks for other browsers than IE?

Thanks for the comment, and screen shot.

Magento Community
Magento Community

barrmy

Total Posts:  102

great work Ron - very unique and fits the store purpose really well

Magento Community
Magento Community

OurWorldTalks

Total Posts:  60

Hi Ron. Great Site!

I think it would be great if you could guide us on the pre-order module? I’m actually looking for a pre-ordere module (as well as others), but don’t see it used on the site though.

On a easier note, maybe you could share with us how to change the word on the item to “Sold Out” ? I could do in a simple way, with a sentence call pre order for that.
Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.
Victor

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

OurWorldTalks - 16 July 2008 07:45 AM

Hi Ron. Great Site!

I think it would be great if you could guide us on the pre-order module? I’m actually looking for a pre-ordere module (as well as others), but don’t see it used on the site though.

On a easier note, maybe you could share with us how to change the word on the item to “Sold Out” ? I could do in a simple way, with a sentence call pre order for that.
Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.
Victor

Victor,

Thanks for the complements. I really appreciate it. smile

As for the pre-order element for the site, I haven’t gotten there yet. I’ve a running list of programming and design element that I’ve been given to follow. Subscription and Pre-Orders are last on the list. I’ll probably be digging into that in a week. This is a side job so I’ve only got a handful of hours to work on it a week.

As for changing the product status message, because everything in this store is date related and they want to list between various date ranges from 7 week to 30 days to 90 days I added the date attribute Release. Based on this value and whether there are any quantity available, I change the status message. It’s all on the list.phtml and price.phtml templates.

I’m not sure what pre-orders requires yet for this particular client, but I know that with comics it’s possible to solicit a product and unfortunately it never get produced. So I’m thinking pre-order for me will require storing CC data for processing when product is actually released. If it turns out that the product is paid for at time of check out, that’ll be a lot simplier. It’s just a matter of changing the template to allow the add to cart function.

The subscription module will be more complex I think as it WILL require storing CC data as well as build another association either within or external of Mage to keep track of items released and billing cycles.

Fun times.

When I’ve got any kind of usable module, I’ll definitely post my efforts.

Thank you for the comments. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

OurWorldTalks

Total Posts:  60

Hi Ron, thanks for the fast reply! 

Sound like you are really good with Magento! I will follow your advice on the product status message and work on it.
Thanks for sharing! Hope you’ll solve the pre-order module soon.

Btw: Just for info, Amazon actually takes in CC information for items not in stock yet (could think of it as pre-order) and ONLY charges your CC when it actually ships, one could cancel the order before it is delivered. I think most ecommerce sites should be following the flow as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

Hey smile

One thing I do not understand is the advertising in the header.

Why would you want to attract people away from your site?
I have never understood this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmlee

Total Posts:  53

Definitely one of the best looking customization done! Great job!

One question I have...you are able to list recent blog entries in a side box on the home age...can you advise on how this was done? i would assume those blog posts are being dynamically populated from the actual blog.

Please advise.

Again excellent work!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

Very good job ! congratulation

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

@medic: Well I can only guess to recoup costs and extend revenue. It’s not my site, I’m just the programmer. smile

@jmlee: I’m importing the RSS feed from the blog using simplexml_load_file() So yes, it updates as soon as an entry is made. Thank you for the comment. smile

@Nicolas46: Thank you. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

USAMerchant

Total Posts:  50

The google adwords banner seems to be taking alot of the focus away from the site. other than that great design!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community