Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

“Designing for Magento” - Out of date? 

[db] DigitalBlueprint

Total Posts:  37
Eastbourne, UK

I’m desperately trying to get up to speed on Magento’s templating system as quickly as possible, however it appears that some of the documentation is already out of date. I’m reading the “Designing for Magento” wiki entry, but this seems to refer to xml files and techniques that are no longer present in the latest version of Magento. Has the templating system been reworked since this wiki entry was written?

Thanks,
Kev

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Kev - we are currently working on documentation and a series of screencasts that will provide an in depth understanding on how to customize Magento’s layout. We expect this to be ready in the next 2-3 weeks. You can see a short video of this process here - http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/magento-behind-the-scenes-design-documentation/

In the meantime we’ll try to update the wiki post today.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/designing/designing-for-magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

damn i must have missed that webcast. definitely looking forward to the design documentation!

Magento Community
Magento Community

[db] DigitalBlueprint

Total Posts:  37
Eastbourne, UK

Hi Roy,

Yes, I had seen the screencast and am very much looking forward to seeing the finished documentation. Unfortunately 2-3 weeks is way longer than i have available to wait on this current project.

I’ll be keeping a watch on the Latest Changes wiki page for the updates. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community