Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento programming learning suggestions

ODB

Total Posts:  142
London

Hello people

Just a suggestion: could you post up any suggested books or topics to get started with programming Magento?

I can hack a bare minimum of php but can just about wade through it, which makes the leap to Magento absolutely, pardon my french, xxxxx huge!

Just a few links or something just to get us warmed up. Everyone on here seems to have immense difficulty grasping even the most basic concepts behind the magento framework, I am desperate to learn but there’s so much to take in it seems impossible!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

The concept behind Magento’s framework is, as I see it, a bunch of nested MVCs. If you’re familiar with the MVC structure, it will make sense pretty quickly. If you want a book to get, then pick up php|architect’s Guide to Programming with Magento. While not as in-depth as I’d like it, it does cover a lot and will give you a better understanding of things.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community