Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Merchant Account with Protx - Recommendations

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

Further to my last post about Worldpay integration (or lack of) I am thinking of moving my client to use Protx and a merchant account as I have seen the module available on this site and it should also save him money I think.

Based in the UK, he is a small retailer, likely to process well less than a 1000 transactions a month (going on his current sales on his existing website). Can anyone recommend a merchant account factoring in transaction cost and the relatively small number of transactions he will process (and anthing else we should consider)?

Also what do I need to know or look out for when doing this and setting up Magento with Protx?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. This is going to be my first Magento site for a customer and my first with Protx (I consider myself a web designer / front end guy rather than a developer so please be nice grin ). This the only thing holding us back from going live now, product catalog and design is complete and ready. Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ebizmarts
Mentor

Total Posts:  2202
Montevideo, Uruguay

Hi,

We’re developing a Protx module for Magento. Our module provides support for Protx Direct service.
You are able to download the module for free from here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/163/protx-direct-payment-module

Also, there is other Protx module provided by the Magento team to use the Protx VPS Form service.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/143/protx-extension

Regards,
Jorge Bejar

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eminent Style

Total Posts:  86
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom

Thanks ebizmarts, we are probably gonna use the Protx Direct service so I will let you know. Is there anything else i need to consider when using protx and magento? Anything I need to look out for when setting up. This is my first Magento store and my first time using protx.

Thanks, Ben

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Hi Ben,

For merchant accounts there is a helpful list here: http://protx.com/merchantaccounts.asp
It is probably best for your client to talk to some of these providers themselves, as what rate they are offered will depend on their unique situation.  (I suspect using their current banking provider is the most obvious choice, but it is always worth checking the competition).

I have a small business merchant using HSBC (with Protx), who they seem happy with.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

ebizmarts
Mentor

Total Posts:  2202
Montevideo, Uruguay

Hi Ben,

I guess if you have magento and you decide use our Protx Module you will not have to do anything else to get it working. Our module is a still a beta contribution, we’re working in minor issues. However, it is ready to work with live transactions.
Of course, you have to setup all in the Magento Admin, in System -> Configuration -> Payment Modules.

Maybe I can help you better if you have specifics questions or doubts smile

Regards,
Jorge

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim Deeson

Total Posts:  16
UK

We’ve successfully used the Protx Forms module from Varien on a production site (www.silkweddingdesigns.com) and didn’t have any issues, we haven’t tried the direct module yet.

Thanks

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

vannquish

Total Posts:  13

A client of mine has been using Virtuemart for nearly 2 years with the protx payment system.

We would love to get everything transfered over to this opensource software :-D

Can someone please confirm that protx now works with Magento for a UK store?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

vannquish - 10 July 2008 11:29 PM

Yes.  You have a choice of Protx ‘VSP Form’ or ‘VSP Direct’.

Protx Direct Payment Module
Protx Form Extension

VSP Direct will require you have a secure server with an SSL certificate (as the card details are taken on the site), VSP Form uses the Protx secure payment page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vannquish

Total Posts:  13

Ross - 10 July 2008 11:42 PM

vannquish - 10 July 2008 11:29 PM

Yes.  You have a choice of Protx ‘VSP Form’ or ‘VSP Direct’.

Protx Direct Payment Module
Protx Form Extension

VSP Direct will require you have a secure server with an SSL certificate (as the card details are taken on the site), VSP Form uses the Protx secure payment page.

Thanks for your reply.

Thats great. does paypal work ok for a UK store as well?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

vannquish - 11 July 2008 01:45 AM

Thats great. does paypal work ok for a UK store as well?

Yes.  PayPal (US & UK) is part of the Magento core (so no extension required).  I have tested PayPal UK Direct, which works fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Yes, Paypal is supported by Protx form.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

Hmm

before you get carried away, be careful. Noawadys, if you go for the Protx Direct , and SSL you should also require PCI Compliance. I’ve gone round in circles on this one, and getting compliance isnt so easy as it sounds. If you use the form based Protx your ok, as you never ‘touch’ the credit card info at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

insight

Total Posts:  58

joolsr,

i know what you mean regards pci dss compliance but i’m fairly sure that is only applicable if you ‘store’ the credit card numbers, if you are just taking them on your site then the main requirement is that you use valid ssl. I went to an interesting seminar (well i say interesting its pretty boring) which said despite all the ‘who har’ about pci dss its going to be very difficult to police who is compliant and who is not. I know a number of large ecommerce sites that have there payments authorized with companies like cybersource or protx and the site itself does not ahve to worry about being pci compliant, although obviously it still needs to be safe using ssl etc

If you intend to store the credit card numbers then that is a different story

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

Thanks insight.

After reading up further and speaking to someone who has got PCI accreditation for a local firm, we are pretty sure now, that you DONT need PCI compliance when using PROTX server if you’re just ‘taking ‘ them.

Still, I have read so much conflicting info, its not surprising that there is confusion around this.

I totally agree that if you store cc details, its a totally different situation, and you do need PCI

Magento Community
Magento Community

fuzzbuzz

Total Posts:  67

Hi Joolsr and everyone else.

I’m glad i came across your posts, i was just thinking of using VSP and got put off by the PCI audit requirement, but from what is being said its not necessary as i’m not holding the card details right?

Also any ssl is suitable? Rappidssl for example?

By the way what have your experiences been with vsp direct on magento? plain sailing?

thanks

Zee

Magento Community
Magento Community

joolsr

I really am not an expert on this , but as long as you’re not keeping the credit card details, you dont need to worry about PCI. What confirmed thsi wfor me, wasnt ProTx themselves who really didnt know, but there is a page on their website that says quite clearly that with ProTx server you dont need PCI compliance, unless you’re storing card details in any way.

I’ve no idea if you can use any SSL, i wouldn’t think it would make any difference.#

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2