Magento Forum

To build and exclude list

Ron Phillips

Total Posts:  57

This probably isn’t an application you guys have considered, but I need to make sure I don’t duplicate product listings on my homepage. Reason behind this is that I’ve figured out how to list multiple categories on a page and I have them output in random order, but the problem is that some products exist in multiple categories.

I’d like to somehow build an exclude list as I progress through building the page. I thought I could make a public array variable in my custom module, but it seems that each call to the class in a new object and the array isn’t being carried on.

I’m new to PHP5, old hat at PHP, so if there is a way I can attach a variable to the Mage object that’d be great.

If you’d like to see what I’ve done so far go here: http://www.boom-studios.net.

I’ve got tons more styling to do over the week-end and it’s a little slow right now, but I hope it’ll improve when we move it to another host.

Thanks for any input.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I don’t know how to fix your problem, unfortunately, but I did want to say that I just looked at your site and I like what you’re doing with it - I feel like it reaches your target audience well and does not give off strong “I made this with Magento” vibes - way to go! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Phillips

Total Posts:  57

sherrie - 19 June 2008 06:01 PM

I don’t know how to fix your problem, unfortunately, but I did want to say that I just looked at your site and I like what you’re doing with it - I feel like it reaches your target audience well and does not give off strong “I made this with Magento” vibes - way to go! smile

Thanks Sherrie. It’s taken a lot to get there, and unfortunately mostly through trial and error. The forum hasn’t been very helpful, though I keep trying to get responses. Of course I’ve figured out all my issues except this one. I’ve got probable solutions, but I’d really like to use what’s already there.

It’s been a fascinating and a frustrating two months, but with guidance from my client the site really is turning into a nice outcome. Makes me happy to see it come along. Heck I’m tempted to buy something from it already. heh.

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community