Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to upgrade from 1.8.1 to 1.9.0.1

diamondsellers

Total Posts:  9

Can anyone please let me know how to upgrade my 1.8.1. to the new 1.9.0.1?
Do I have to start over with the installation of a new site, or is there a way in 1.8.1 to have the program upgrade itself to 1.9?

Is there a simple way to do an upgrade with this program?

Thank you in advance.

Steven

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skutumpah

Total Posts:  5

I followed the steps outlined in the link below and everything works other than the FedEx and USPS Shipping modules.

I did find that virtually none of the Magento 1.8.1 compatible themes I have tried, worked 100% with 1.9.0.1. The default themes that came with the installation work fine other than the shipping issue noted above.

Steps for upgrading to Magento CE 1.9

More detailed instructions on how to import your old database into the new install.

Importing Magento Database

It is vital that you clear your VAR cache, changed the URL for Magento and assign the correct new database name once you have completed the install / upgrade.  Your old database will change the settings to what was in your old install.  The instructions for that are found in the links at the bottom of the page above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

Follow this guide for upgradation to Magento 1.8 or 1.9,

Guide to Magento 1.8 - 1.9 Upgradation

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaronwallace09

Total Posts:  11

Hey all,

I tried upgrading from Magento 1.8 to 1.9 with the help of this tutorial and have been able to successfully upgrade it. Have a look at
http://bit.ly/1k0oNdy

Thanks
Aaron

Magento Community
Magento Community

skutumpah

Total Posts:  5

It appears that the FedEx UPS issues were theme related.  I changed to a different theme package that was billed as being 1.9.1 compatible and now everything works.  I am not comfortable making code changes to files unless it is absolutely necessary so I look for themes and extensions that work the first try when installed with Magento Connect if possible, or by just uploading the folders to my Magento install.

Do be very careful with adding extensions and themes as several of the extensions I was using in 1.8 do not work with my install of 1.9.1, even if their authors say they do.

I backup my database before installing any extensions, and if they fail, I remove them and restore the database just to be sure the extension install didn’t mess up anything that would not be fixed by removing it in Connect.

List of templates that do and do NOT work with my 1.9.1 setup

WORKS
EM Delete Order
Fooman Same Order Invoice Number
Flagbit Change Attribute Set ( though I don’t understand how to clean up the “litter” it supposedly leaves so I only use it if I MUST.)
WebShopApps MatrixRate - Table Rates via CSV (This is a GREAT extension if you need to constantly adjust your table rate shipping stuff.
2j commerce - Edit Products From Category

----------------------------------------

Does NOT work ( This is not a complete list, just the ones I wish DID work)

Easy Tabs 2.0 - (it installs but the menu selection “Add New” to make a new tab setup is not visible anywhere in the Easy Tabs menu.

None of the SMTP email extensions I tried work now with 1.9 but they were working with 1.8. No clue why.

IWD One Page Checkout - I really like the ability to force customers to use their billing address for shipping.  - When it works....

Problems with this extension:  Sometimes the Payment Method won’t show up, preventing the customer from checking out.

The customer email is not sent correctly giving an error of “Malformed email address” from the email server.

It still shows the “guest” checkout portion when guest checkout is disabled.
It sill shows the “guest” checkout portion when require customer to be logged in to check out is enabled.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community