Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 7
Poll
Do you have USPS shippin methods set-up and working?
Yes, works perfect... 50
Yes, but it took a long time... 37
No, I still can’t get it to work right... 295
No, never really tried... 46
Total Votes: 428
You must be a logged-in member to vote
USPS - Everyone’s Issue

WhoIsGregg

Total Posts:  64
Tampa, Florida

michael_in_pp - 18 October 2008 10:38 PM

So it seems that USPS needs a weight value of an ounce or thereabouts, and will not return a minimum shipping price estimate if the weight given is too low.

I am also experiencing this same error… Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

thinkorsink

Total Posts:  2
West Glover, VT 05875

mojo rising - 30 September 2008 11:09 AM

Ok, I was having a bunch of problems as well - specifically that dreaded message that “there are no quotes at this time”.  All I did was input the number of “Maximum Package Weight” to 5 and everything worked!!!!!!

It seems that if I put more than 5 lbs in the cart then the shipping method breaks. Does anyone know how to get UPS to work for up to 70lbs.

site is here nuttystephs.com

Thanks,
Sam Young
nekinfo.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikep

Total Posts:  22

@ kitatonic

Thank You!!! changing the wieght in the admin USPS setup to 5 worked.... Then I changed it back to 50 and it also worked...... I’m running 1.2.0.1

Magento Community
Magento Community

lfkiter

Total Posts:  20

Ok, I’m loosing it, I can’t for the life of me figure this out.  I’ve got UPS working for United States address, and I want to us USPS for Canada.  I have Canada as one of the Specified Countries, and I have everything filled out properly, I’ve signed up at USPS web tools, called had them switch me to the production server, everything’s all done, but cannot get this to work.  Don’t know if it helps but I’ve attached a screen shot of the USPS module.

Am I missing anything ??  could it be anything to do with cache or the /var directories needing to be cleared??

Thanks,
lfkiter

Image Attachments
sshot-usps.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

jim_keller

Total Posts:  6

kitatonic’s reply above also worked for me - we had previously signed up for a standard account rather than the web tools account, which was why the API wouldn’t accept the username. Also note that the test API will not work without jumping through some hoops, so you’re better off just calling and having USPS activate the account right away.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jonathan123

Total Posts:  215

If anyone else has products with low/detailed weights listed, there is a problem with the Usps weight calculation function. I’ve submitted this as a bug report (including my fix).

(I’m on 1.2.0.3)
We had received complaints from customers in Canada about having no USPS shipping options show up. Upon inspection I noticed that Magento was passing (for example) weight_ounces=11.3728. Looking at the USPS Rate Calculator specs, it looks like they want at most a tenth of an ounce precision.

So, the following change is needed on line 129 of app/code/core/Mage/Usa/Model/Shipping/Carrier/Usps.php

Change:
$r->setWeightOunces(($weight-floor($weight))*16);
to
$r->setWeightOunces(round(($weight-floor($weight))*16, 1));

After this change the cart is showing shipping options for all size orders.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mavro

Total Posts:  16

Thanks to everyone for this thread! USPS was an absolute nightmare to get working. But I followed all of the instructions listed in this thread and finally got it!

Mavro

Magento Community
Magento Community

balero

Total Posts:  170
埼玉県所沢市

Hopefully this will eventually be sorted out on the Magento side. I’d like to see the option of entering everything in exact grams (although pounds and ounces would be O.K.), and then Magento adds it all up and takes a look at it and decides if it’s going to freak out the USPS, and if so, makes whatever adjustment or rounding up is necessary.

And while they’re at it, deal with ||| packaging ||| weight

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lightning

Total Posts:  3

Followed the instructions listed on page 1 and:

1) registered for the webtools, got sent the testing api link and access ID.

2) sent an e-mail to with this message: “Please switch our account to the production server, we have completed our Magento cart installation and are ready to go live. Please forward our new urls to this e-mail. Our USPS webtools id is <insert your access ID here> Thanks !”

3) An hour or two later got an e-mail confirmation and the new api link, put that in Mag..done..

Working like a champ… thanks to all the contributed to the fix/instructions !

Magento Community
Magento Community

greensaber

Total Posts:  1

Hello everyone,

I’ve tried everything in this thread and I still cannot get the USPS quotes working. 

I have:
- signed up with USPS webtools
- emailed them and gotten my account moved to production
- I’m using the USPS provided user ID, not the one I created
- the gateway url is http://production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll
- all my products have weight (either 0.5000 or 1.0000)
- USPS is enabled

I cannot for the life of me get this working and it’s driving me insane.  Any ideas?

***UPDATE***

Sure enough, this was something simple.  When registering with USPS web tools I gave them my site’s root address, http://www.mystore.com, but my store is located at http://www.mystore.com/store/ .  I emailed USPS noting the error, and within an hour they updated my profile and the shipping estimate worked.

Always make sure there’s gas in the tank…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmk24

Total Posts:  8

greensaber - 08 April 2009 04:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I’ve tried everything in this thread and I still cannot get the USPS quotes working. 

I have:
- signed up with USPS webtools
- emailed them and gotten my account moved to production
- I’m using the USPS provided user ID, not the one I created
- the gateway url is http://production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll
- all my products have weight (either 0.5000 or 1.0000)
- USPS is enabled

I cannot for the life of me get this working and it’s driving me insane.  Any ideas?

***UPDATE***

Sure enough, this was something simple.  When registering with USPS web tools I gave them my site’s root address, http://www.mystore.com, but my store is located at http://www.mystore.com/store/ .  I emailed USPS noting the error, and within an hour they updated my profile and the shipping estimate worked.

Always make sure there’s gas in the tank…

I have also done all of these things and I STILL can’t get USPS to work! I’ve been working on this for a week and I swear, it’s driving me crazy.

Am I supposed to also set something up under the Table Rates to get this to work?

I would really appreciate if there was someone out there that could help me sort this issue up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmk24

Total Posts:  8

I’m still working on this with no luck.

Anyone????

Magento Community
Magento Community

imagebox

Total Posts:  18

I can get this to work either.

Edit:

So if the URL on the page where the quote is being generated from is something like: http://www.site.com/checkout/cart/ ..

Does this mean that the url USPS needs to have on file is http://www.site.com/checkout/cart/ or just http://www.site.com ??

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bison

Total Posts:  11

I have also tried everything in this thread and still cannot get it to work. I have tried the url in all lowercase letters as it came in the email from usps and also typed it the way it is used in this thread. It still won’t work.

I am pulling my hair out. Is there anybody who can offer any more insight into this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

naughtyT

Total Posts:  4

I have a slightly different problem with USPS if someone can answer it for me:
my shipping quote works fine when I add a T-shirt to my cart, but if I change the quantity of the item to 2… all of a sudden it doesn’t work…
I’m using configurable product for the T-shirt with weight set at 1.25… When you only have one of the items in your cart it shows the USPS 1st class parcel - but if you update the quantity of the same item to 2… it breaks…

I’ve tried changing the maximum allowed weight to a few different things, I’ve also tried changing the ability to ship to multiple addresses… all with no change…

any help?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 7