yes 12
No 4
I’m still tryin... 4
Total Votes: 20
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Magento with a imperfect Installroutine can’t be successful

Buddha993

Total Posts:  35

Hey Guys. First of all I wanne say respect for the work you do. Really I appreciate that.

But how will you get successful if so much people have problems to install magento? I mean every other Software like, OScommerce, XtCommerce, Joomla, Drupal, etc. has an installroutine that works on different servers. I never had problems to install one of them local (win) or on a webserver (linux). That just worked fine. Without changing any server-configurations.

So I think before you develope some superdoober functions and extensions you should make magento available for usual servers (local and web). And not only for Codingfreaks. Just look threw the forum. So much people have problems to install. For myself I also just get 500 Errors. I’ve never seen Magento running on my XAMPP Server. :(

So I hope anyone read this smile

Thanks and good luck with magento in the future.

Buddha993 form Switzerland

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

This obviously concerns us greatly. I think its important to note that the installation forum address issues with installation and we generally don’t hear from people who succeed, so the data is a bit skewed.  We also have to note that Magento is PHP5 and unfortunately not many open source web apps are PHP5 these days (certainly none of the ones you mentioned as far as I know). Shared hosting accounts are still a problem for many people that wish to use PHP5 and this is a big issue. Over time, I am sure things will improve with the hosting landscape.

That said, with each release we are making improvements to the installer. We are learning from the community feedback and hope to have a process which is just as seamless (if not better) as the other packages you mentioned in time for the 1.0 release.

We certainly look forward to feedback and any comments you may have in this regard as this issue is critical for us and the community.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Buddha993

Total Posts:  35

Hi Roy. Thansk a lot for the response. Nice to hear from you smile

What about a poll on the frontpage to find out how many peoples get magento running sucessful? Or even not. wink

It’s cool that magento is for PHP5. Most Shared Hosters I know have already upgraded from php4 to 5. (at least in Switzerland)

I use the newest Version of XAMPP with PHP5 on my PC. Don’t know whats wrong with that. I think a good shop software should also be able to install on a local server. I always make my webpages local and after finishing they came on a public server.

So I hope future Versions will be a little bit more fitter for different servers…

Greets Buddha339

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I think you can start a poll when you post a new thread (in any case it will be not be scientific as you can imagine).

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I would say the problems lie mostly with the hosting companies and not Magento.  Most hosts either do not have PHP 5 or do not have it configured properly.  Aside from the inability to install Magento on a MySQL port other than the standard 3306 (which was quickly fixed), my installation experience was flawless.  But then again, I have my own server and I know how PHP 5 should be configured.  I hate to say it, but I really do not think a web application of this caliber should be installed by anyone who does not possess the knowledge necessary to configure their server properly and deal with installation issues.  I would also suggest that anyone dealing with an uncooperative host find a new host that is competent.  I would much rather see the hosts change to accommodate Magento and other serious apps rather than Magento change to accommodate bad hosts.  Hopefully we’ll start to see hosts that have gone through the necessary steps to configure their server properly and will offer hosting with Magento in mind, possibly even preinstalled.  I’d still recommend a dedicated server though.  I have my own, even though I am not using anywhere near the amount of resources I have available.  But the flexibility and control it gives me makes it worth it.  Plus it’s nice knowing that no one else is on my server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

Buddha993 - 16 October 2007 08:24 AM

I use the newest Version of XAMPP with PHP5 on my PC. Don’t know whats wrong with that. I think a good shop software should also be able to install on a local server. I always make my webpages local and after finishing they came on a public server.

The PHP team does not suggest the use of any prebundled packages or installers such as xampp.  It’s always best to download, install, and configure PHP, Apache, and MySQL separately.  There are plenty of guides on the net that show you how.  Not only does it typically result in a more secure setup, it gives you the knowledge of knowing how to do it, which is always good.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cpetrauskas

Total Posts:  6
Portland, Oregon, USA

i960 - 16 October 2007 09:05 AM

Buddha993 - 16 October 2007 08:24 AM

The PHP team does not suggest the use of any prebundled packages or installers such as xampp.  It’s always best to download, install, and configure PHP, Apache, and MySQL separately.  There are plenty of guides on the net that show you how.  Not only does it typically result in a more secure setup, it gives you the knowledge of knowing how to do it, which is always good.

I have to strongly agree with i960 on this one. Your host is a crucial component in a successful app deployment. I am fortunate to be with a company that can afford Rackspace and, to me, it’s worth every penny. Even short of that kind of investment you can certainly find affordable hosts that provide an up to date LAMP stack with competent support. If $50 a month or so isn’t worth it for your business then I think you need to reexamine your biz plan. If you insist on going with “free” hosting for “unlimited bandwidth” well...you get what you pay for.

Magento has the potential to be an incredible tool and it is only in the early beta stage (Let’s all remember what “beta” means). If they have to pull a programmer from working on the installer to kill bugs and optimize memory, I’m all for it.

Make no mistake, Varien is a private, for profit company investing real money in building this tool in the hopes of creating an ecosystem they can profit from in the future. Frankly it kind of chaps my butt when an armchair quarterback comes in a proclaims doom on an effort that is being freely released. Betas are for professional developers to come in and take a look. They are not demo releases of a production app for the end user.

Maybe when we get to RC1 we can bust Roy’s chops if the installer isn’t perfect but for the time being we should politely say “thank you” and then go test and be sure to fill out bug reports which is the best way we can “pay” Varien at this point for their effort.

</rant>

Chris

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community