Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
[eCommerce] Promotions

Ibn Saeed

Total Posts:  25
UAE

Hello

Can you add the following:

eCommerce Promotions

*Percentage-based Discount:
Select Category, Product, Product Variation or Order to apply a % based discount to.
Set the discount % (can be 100% for free items).
1).Optionally set a start date and end date.
2).Optionally set a min qualifying qty for catalog discounts.
3).Optionally set a min $ order value (currency specific) for order discounts.
4).Optionally requires coupon code or campaign to activate
Allow exclusions for catalog discounts. For example get 10% off product ‘Mens Running Shoes’ excluding size ‘9’ and size ‘10’.

*Dollar-based Discount: Select Category, Product, Product Variation or Order to apply a $ based discount to. Set the discount $ (currency specific)Options similar to “% based discount” options, substituting dollar-based amount for percentage-based amount

*Buy X and get Discount on Y: Offer a price reduction on a product if another product(s) is(are) purchased. For example, buy a shirt and receive 10 dollars off a pair of jeans.

*Buy X no. of Y and get Discount: Offer a discount (% or $-based) off a product with a minimum quantity purchase. For example buy 3 shirts and get 10% off or buy 3 shirts and get $10 off.

*Buy X no. of Y and get 1 Free: Offer a free gift with a minimum quantity purchase. For example, buy two shirts and receive a free tie.
Paired Discount Type: Offer a price reduction on a product if another product(s) is(are) purchased. For example, buy a shirt and receive 10 dollars off a pair of jeans.

*Free Shipping:
Allow free shipping if Order $ amount greater than specified value (currency specific)
Allow free shipping if coupon code or campaign supplied
Allow free shipping for new customers (1st Order)

*Custom Rule Components: Developers should be able to create custom rule components which business users can then use in their rules.

*Price tiers for any product variation.
A price tier can be either a dollar amount or a percentage discount. For example, a product variation might look like this:
Qty up to 4: regular price
Qty 5 – 8: 10% off
Qty 9 +: 20% off

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Hmm… i think price rules could do anything of the above (including custom components)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

I agree.  All of that is essentially possible already.  Take a look at these two entries in the Knowledge Base:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/what-are-catalog-price-rules-and-how-do-i-use-them/

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/what-are-shopping-cart-price-rules-and-how-do-i-use-them/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ibn Saeed

Total Posts:  25
UAE

Thank you

I did check out the options in the admin section before posting.

but i guess i did not test them out thoroughly.

I have just checked out the links at the knowledgebase, this is really powerful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pauljosephson

Total Posts:  37

Yes, many of those rules mentioned can be accomplished by the current condition and action setup.  But, I don’t think (surprisingly) that a group of rules he mentioned in his list are currently able to be done. (Chastise me if I am wrong smile ) At least, I can’t see how they can be done under the current setup.  All the actions seem to affect the current product or group rather then group X affecting another group Y or product Y. I would hope that Magento would support these rules as they are quite common from the work I have done.

The rules that he mentions that I specifically am talking about are the following:

*Buy X and get Discount on Y: Offer a price reduction on a product if another product(s) is(are) purchased. For example, buy a shirt and receive 10 dollars off a pair of jeans.

*Buy X no. of Y and get Discount: Offer a discount (% or $-based) off a product with a minimum quantity purchase. For example buy 3 shirts and get 10% off or buy 3 shirts and get $10 off.

*Buy X no. of Y and get 1 Free: Offer a free gift with a minimum quantity purchase. For example, buy two shirts and receive a free tie

Buy X and get Y. Buy 6 cows and get a case of milk free..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paulus
Guru

Total Posts:  335

Just went over the options on promotions. I too do not think this is possible right now:
*Buy X no. of Y and get 1 Free: Offer a free gift with a minimum quantity purchase. For example, buy two shirts and receive a free tie

Should be great though, you see this with a lot of B2B businesses. Buy a printer and get a case of paper free etc..
Would be extra cool if you had to put it in the cart yourself first though, that way not everybody gets it easily, they’d have to at least go through your store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BungleFeet

Total Posts:  26

I agree, some of these promotions are impossible to implement using the current Catalog Price Rules and Shopping Cart Price Rules.

I would like to be able to offer the customer “Buy X items of a particular category, and get the cheapest Y free.” This is such a common promotion, I feel it is a big omission at present.

--Bungle

Magento Community
Magento Community

JenniferAslan

Total Posts:  20
Pacific Northwest

Paulus - 03 August 2008 04:57 AM

Just went over the options on promotions. I too do not think this is possible right now:

Should be great though, you see this with a lot of B2B businesses. Buy a printer and get a case of paper free etc..
Would be extra cool if you had to put it in the cart yourself first though, that way not everybody gets it easily, they’d have to at least go through your store.

The only way I’ve figured out to do this is with a Shopping Cart Price Rule that makes sure a certain combination of SKUs is in the cart and then discounts the whole cart by the price of the item that I want to offer for free. But this requires the shopper to actually put both the items in the cart.

What I would really like to do is have a way to set up a rule that says if this SKU is found in the cart, automatically add that SKU to the cart AND discount the whole cart by the price of the second SKU. This way the shopper merely adds the first item to their cart and automatically receives the other item without any more work on their part, plus the whole thing shows up in their cart so they know it’s happening.

My client doesn’t want the shopper to have to add the item to their cart to get it for free with my current shopping cart rule, so they’re thinking of just having the fulfillment warehouse add the free item to the shipment, whether it’s in the cart or not. This creates a couple of problems:

1. The shopper that doesn’t add the second SKU to their cart doesn’t see the free item in their cart and may wonder where it is (having read the banners about the promotion throughout the site)
2. On the transactions where the shopper doesn’t add the free item to their cart, the inventory in the back-end won’t be updated with the reduction of one of the free items—the fulfillment guys will have to go in by hand and reduce the inventory by however many of the free items they’ve shipped on a given day.

Does anyone know how to add programming to the system that will allow us to make Shopping Cart Item Rules, instead of just Price Rules?

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

Yes, having the ability in Admin Cart Rules to choose the Y product to auto add to the cart when X is customer added to the cart would be great!

Anyone know if there is a module in development for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Indeed. While the promotions manager is extremely powerful, I think that main area where its lacking is the gift with purchase promotion. Sure you can setup a shopping cart price rule for an item discount if at a certain price threshold and a number of attributes are met, but that still requires the customer to add the gwp to the cart in the first place. The auto-add of a gwp would be an extremely useful feature to have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

husby

Total Posts:  72
Roseville, MN

Has anyone figured this out yet?  How to do gift products, for example buy $50 and get this product free automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andy Chapman

Total Posts:  1

+1 on this.  I need a rule that says “If a customer purchases more than $X worth of product, they get a free product Y”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

smiler

Total Posts:  7

I need the same rule

Magento Community
Magento Community

scitadel

Total Posts:  37

Silly question maybe, but is there a reason why you don’t just create a bundle product for this? So, create a bundle product for this promotion at the specific price, and only price the entire ‘bundle’ for the first game.  This way, both games get added to the cart and inventory is correctly taken off, the customer notices that it is being added, and you are charging the right price without going through the hassle of the promotional price rules.

You might, if this is an on-going promotion, have to re-route the current page to the new ‘bundle’ page.  And I must admit, the bundle page looks a tad ugly (the As low as bit isn’t great) but it’s what we’ve been using for promotions like this on our site.

Obviously, this doesn’t work for very large categories, but if it’s somewhat smaller or limited to only a few products, it ain’t a bad hack.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OpenCommerce

Total Posts:  84
Cincinnati, OH

Hopefully this isn’t repetitive, but we’ve released a module that accomplishes the Buy X, Get Y free functionality. It’s only for simple products at the moment, but it works pretty well.

PromoBot - TinyBrick

You can also set the discount amount down from 100% to achieve an auto-added item at any percentage discount.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Andy Chapman - 01 March 2009 04:43 PM

I need a rule that says “If a customer purchases more than $X worth of product, they get a free product Y”.

You can get this rule with the Auto Add Promo Items addon.  Unlike similar simply (and surprisingly expensive) extensions it allows to add several free products to the cart, add Y products if X products are purchased, creates several rules for the one cart, works well in admin area, support taxes calculation and currency switches.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2