Magento Forum

Header Height expands on larger monitors?? 

simo

Total Posts:  32

Hi,

There is probably a very simple answer for this problem but I have very little experience in tinkering with code or CSS. I’m trying to do a basic re-skin of Magento (and making some proegress smile), when I view to the main page on a laptop it looks right, it looks OK on a 17” monitor, but when viewed on a 19” monitor the header section has expanded, showing some blue background.

Site can be found at http://www.globalproductfocus.com.au/store if you have a 19” screen.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanx

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I attached an image of what I get on a 19” widescreen monitor - I don’t see the issue you’re referring to.  Can you post images?

Image Attachments
19-inch-widescreen.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

simo

Hi Sherrie,

Thanx for looking at it. I’ve attached a screen shot of what I get. The laptop is runnign IE7, the 19” IE6, could this be related?

cheers

Image Attachments
screen.GIF

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

It is actually highly possible that the error is an IE6 one - it sees CSS very differently from IE7 in a lot of cases.  IE6 actually misreads a lot of CSS coding, IE7 was an attempt to improve that which is why it reflects FireFox more closely than IE6 and before though it still is not flawless by any means.  Three of the biggest CSS tags that cause IE discrepencies are margin, padding, and position - I would test those first.  Also, you can use an additional stylesheet for IE6 (I think there’s one set up for Magento by default) to adjust for the differences.  Try browsing the forum for information on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

simo

Thanx Sherrie,

You were spot on with the IE6. Downloaded a multiple IE pack so I could test it in all of them and it only happens in 5.5 & 6. Lazy fix was setting the wrapper background to black. Thanx for your help.

Simo

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Waterloo, ON

Awesome - glad I could help! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community