Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Extended Attributes especially for textile trade

MasterEmit

Total Posts:  23

I have posted this request already in the German Community of Magento. So this is just the English version of it.

Currently I’m using xt-commerce for a fashion label. This fashion label gives customers the possibility to customize the colors and materials of the product. There are currently 45 color/material-options. Some products can have two, some four settings for these options. So the customer can choose, if he want to have the main color of a shirt in red for example and some trims in white and some other parts in black. Just as an example. Of course the size can be chosen to. Depending on the selected color and material and depending on the size (standard or made on measure) the price can change. Not every producthas the whole range of possible attributes. So the available attributes and possibilities of choices need to be set for every product.
The big problem is, that it makes absolutely no sense to add for every combination one product. But setting all possibilities is in the standard version of xt-commerce hell. So i extended it for my needs. Sadly it is not possible to write this extension as a module. So changes in code were necessary. Thats some time ago and I need to update the shop. So the only chance is, to write all of the changes again. Anyway. I’m not happy with the support of xt-commerce anyway. I’m looking for something better. I tried Magento and I like it. But the attribute problems are existing to. Now maybe just some ideas, what would be perfect for my case and maybe for other ones to. I did not checked the database-structur until now. So i can not say, if it could be easy to implement in the current structure or not.

Take it just as an idea:

I would like to have a tree-structure for attributes. Something like this:

root
--Size
----S
----M
----L
----XL
----Made on measure

--Materials and Color
----Material 1
------Color A
------Color B
------Color C
------…
----Material 2
------Color A
------Color C
------Color D
------…
----Material 3
------Color C
------Color D
------Color F

Now it would be nice to be able to create sets of different Attributes. For example one set for products, who needs two selectors for colors and one for sizes. So i could add the attribute “Size” and call it “Size” and then “Material and Color” and call it “Main Material/Color”, then “Material and Color” again and call it “Trim Material and Color”. Then i can choose, which attribute-properties i maybe do not want to have for this set. So maybe “Trim Material and Color” should be without “Material 3”, i just can remove this part of the tree.
If i edit a product, i want to be able to say, this product gets following attributes. Then I can set the attributes manual or just use one of my Sets as template. But of course i can make changes individual for this current product, if necessary. Changes for prices and product-numbers should be assigned to a attribute property or just to a knot of the tree. If i add a price to a attribute property, then the price will change (+ or - or absolute), if this property was chosen by the customer. If i edit a price to a knot, then every property under the knot will get this change, except it has an own price setting. Same with product-numbers and maybe also product names. A combination of prefix and suffix for numbers and names on knots and/or attributes would be nice and make the complete thing flexible.

Here the tree for this example:

Attribute: Size
--Size
----S
----M [STANDARD]
----L
----XL
----Made on measure (+20.00€)

Attribute: Main Material/Color
--Materials and Color
----Material 1
------Color A [STANDARD]
------Color B
------Color C
------…
----Material 2 (+10.00€)
------Color A
------Color C
------Color D
------…
----Material 3 (-5.00€)
------Color C
------Color D
------Color F (+5.00€)

Attribute: Trim Material/Color
--Materials and Color
----Material 1
------Color A
------Color B
------Color C
------…
----Material 3
------Color C
------Color D [STANDARD]
------Color F

So in the example above the main price could be 100€. I have three selectors. One for Size, one for Main Material/Color and one for Trim Material/Color. The properties marked as STANDARD are preselected. If someone would like to have it made on measure, then it would be 20€ in addition. If someone would like to have the Main Material as Material 2 with Color C, it would costs 10€ more. If it should be Material 3, it would be for Color C and D 5€ less, but for Color F 5€ in addition.

Its hard to describe, what i mean grin - i know. But this would make it easy, to have a very flexible and at the same time fast to edit attribute management. Currently i need to edit a huge list of all possible properties and need to set checkboxes, if this property is allowed and enter a price difference. This takes oftne enough just to long and like i wrote, its even not a standard feature.

Adding a product for each combination is of course not a choice. You can easy calculate, how many products this would be, if i have one with four color/material settings, where each has 45 properties and then the sizes.

Okay. Long feature request and i know, not so easy one. But hey, i can dream grin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

You can somewhat do this already with Magento.  But it takes quite a bit of work on a per product basis.

Take a look at this sample product page, and see if that’s a start to what you’re after:

http://demo.magentocommerce.com/catalog/product/view/s/cn-clogs-beach-garden-clog/id/83/category/5/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

Somehow i think thats not a solution. Thats exactly the problem. Doing this for a product with maybe three Color/Material Options and one option for size:

Sizes: 6 (XS,S,M,L,XL,made on measure)
Color 1: 45
Color 2: 45
Color 3: 45

So i should add 6x45x45x45 products = 546750 products ... wink

Maybe i’m wrong and maybe there is a solution already working and i did not found it. I would be happy grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

I think what you are looking for is what we call a configurable bundled product. This type of product allows a user to select different simple products and combine them into a virtual bundle. Using this feature you will be able to create a color, size etc… as SKU’s and allow the customer to pick and choose the different combinations.

This feature is scheduled to be completed early next year close to Magento’s stable release.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

DailyLunatic

Total Posts:  39
Oklahoma City, OK

YoavKutner - 16 October 2007 01:59 PM

I think what you are looking for is what we call a configurable bundled product. This type of product allows a user to select different simple products and combine them into a virtual bundle. Using this feature you will be able to create a color, size etc… as SKU’s and allow the customer to pick and choose the different combinations.

This feature is scheduled to be completed early next year close to Magento’s stable release.

Quick question about this “Configurable Bundled Product”

I’m working with T-Shirts, but I don’t stock shirts with images, I apply the image to order.  For instance, I may have 100 or so images, and shirts in S, M, & L in colors of, say, red, white, and blue.  Total 9 shirts (Keeps inventory way down).  The images are not on the shirts yet, so configuring 900 SKU’s will not work

What I need is for the customer to be able to select from the Image’s page the desired size/color and have it deduct qty from both the image SKU, and the specified shirt size/color SKU.

Just want to confirm that this is what I’ve been looking for.

BTW - Magento looks AWSOME.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

That is one of the functionality we designed the ‘Configurable Bundle Product’ for. The way you will set this up is by creating each shirt size as a ‘Simple’ Product’ and the same for each print. You will end up having 100 products for the prints and 9 shirt products which will allow you to maintain a catalog of 109 products total.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

If i understand this right, then this would be a solution. So I could for example create one “product” for different sizes, one, two or three products for different colour and then put them together to another product. The big but question is, at which point i say, how much each of this product costs?

One simple Example.

I have Shirt A. Shirt A has two color options and one size option. Shirt B has the same options, but different prices. SHIRT C has some other Color Options, but the same size options.

SHIRT A 50€
--COLORS
----black 0€
----red 0€
----green 5€
--SIZES
----S 0€
----M 0€
----L 0€
----MADE ON MEASURE 10€

SHIRT B 65€
--COLORS
----black 0€
----red 0€
----green 7€
--SIZES
----S 0€
----M 0€
----L 0€
----MADE ON MEASURE 12€

SHIRT C 60€
--COLORS
----black 0€
----red 0€
----green 7€
----blue 3€
--SIZES
----S 0€
----M 0€
----L 0€
----MADE ON MEASURE 11€

If the price would be editet somewhere at the point, where i connect different products to one virtual product bundle, then this could work. Otherwise not.

I know its difficult. I just remember, how many changes i made on our current xt-commerce shop, so that it is working for us. Not perfect, but at least it goes and it does not take to much time for editing and adding products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

You should be able to set the prices at the creation of the bundle.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

Thanks grin - So lets see, how it will be. It would be just great to have such kind of feature.

Thanks for your work!!!
Alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

DailyLunatic

Total Posts:  39
Oklahoma City, OK

YoavKutner - 16 October 2007 01:59 PM

Did a search for the term “configurable bundled” and found nothing.  Is this still on schedule for near the stable release date? ...or is it using a different term and I’m not finding it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

I guess, this feature is not included in the first stable release, but we really hope, that it will be included very soon. We need to change our shop-system and if i would not have found magento i would have done it already a half year ago. But I have a really good feeling with magento and I want to use it and I do not want to change core stuff of a shop-system again, to make it usefull for us. But 100% of our products are configurable onces. Customers can change a lot and prices are changing depending on the selection.

So lets cross fingers for a fast implementation. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

@MasterEmit - Magento has had ‘configurable’ products for a while now, didn’t you test it yet?

I must admit, at the moment it is a lot of work to set up if you have a lot of variations, as a ‘simple product’ must be created with some basic information for each combination.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

@Ross: Read my postings before and the complete thread, then you would recognize, that the current way to use configurable products is not usable for us. Not sure, if Version 1.0 has implemented “configurable bundled product” already, but my last state was and is, that currently its not implemented. Maybe I’m wrong and I check it again. But I never ever will and can add every combination as a simple product and get all of the simple products together for having different, selectable attributes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

Ah damn. Now I wrote a long long long text and I just pushed the wrong button. Grrrrrrr. I try it again.

I try to explain, how I would like to have the bundled product feature. Of course I know, this is just an idea and I’m sure there are many many other possibilies.

For a better understanding, feel free to check our current version of our onlineshop. Currently its a hell to edit the products and especially the attributes. And every update of the shopsystem took me days for making big changes in the core to get some features we needed.

So maybe go to http://www.savage-wear.com/en/shop/index.html and then Collection Categories » Women » Dresses » Dre019 (Geisha Dress) (feel free to delete the URL, if it should not be posted here. but its easier to understand it, if you see, what i mean)

There you can see five options. Four options for color and materials and one for sizes. The first three options are the same, but each has different price-changes. The fourth option is smaller. It just has one material and all available colors for this material. The fifths option is for sizes. Made on measure is of course a bit more expensive.

Currently I could say, I have 6 different materials. Each material has its own colors. Of course some colors are the same for some materials together. Then I have two different kind of size-levels: standard sizes and made on measure.

Now I would like to create attributes for materials, colors, sizes. After that I create single products. First all combination of materials and colors and then all sizes.  After that I would create configurable products. Six configurable products for materials and two for sizes. All of the configurable products for materials are owning just one material each and all color combination. The first configurable product for sizes is getting all standard sizes. The other one just made on measure (maybe this could also just stay as single...).
With that I got a nice categorization of available attributes.
Now I create a “real” single product. For example the dress from the shop above. After that I create a bundled product. It would be great, if I could use somehow categories or options or whatever, to add the same configurable or single product to the bundled product for each option. So like the dress above, the material thickness 0.35mm with all the available colors could be added four times. All the other configurable products for materials (and colors as attributes) just to option one to three. The fifth option would get the configurable product for standard sizes and the one for made on measure. On each of this connection I could set the standard attribute and the price change or replacement.
The positive aspect for this would be, that if I get a new color for a special material, I just need to add this color as attribute, then add a single product and after that add this product to the right configurable product. Automatically this new color would be available for all of the “real” products and options, where this configurable product is used. The price would be the right one, because the price is connected between the bundle and the configurable product.

Yeah. Hope its possible to understand. I just want to say, that it is difficult. wink
Just some ideas. Maybe it helps.
So. Now lets proceed dreaming and maybe a developer fairy is coming and all of our wishes ....

Magento Community
Magento Community

vuongtng

Total Posts:  1

I was reading through this post and http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/1022/ , however I was wondering if there were plans to integrate stock numbers with “bundled” attributes.

For example tshirts. One shirt can come in various sizes and colors.

sizes:
-XS
-S
-M
-L
-XL

colors:
-black
-white

will we be able to add individual stock numbers to each combination?

Black XS - qty 5
White XS - qty 4
Black S - qty 1
White S - qty 3
Black M - qty 0
White M - qty 10....etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

last1st

Total Posts:  2

You can somewhat do this already with Magento.  But it takes quite a bit of work on a per product basis.

Take a look at this sample product page, and see if that’s a start to what you’re after:

http://demo.magentocommerce.com/catalog/product/view/s/cn-clogs-beach-garden-clog/id/83/category/5/

Hello Travis and everbody, I saw your reply and what I’m trying to do is to create exactly the same kind of product where a customer could choose its size and color, etc ...

What kind of product do I need to create ? simple or configurable ?

and what kind of catalog input type do i need to choose for the size attribute I want to create ?

I tried many ways to get that thing done but the only result i got is a list of sizes available under the description of the item but it’s only a list and there’s no way I can choose a size among all the ones I added in the values of the attribute… choosing multiple select input type for my attribute ...

Someone help me please ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2