Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Godaddy Shared hosting with Magento - Speed and Performance Issues Solutions - Best Hosting? 

ow3npiccirillo

Total Posts:  15

Hey,

First off I love Magento, I am currently researching and trying to find the best ecommerce platform to work with and from what I see Magento is beautiful, and blows everything else out of the water ( oscommerce and zencart are my other options ).

When I came to this website I thought I found gold - However this is my first time setting up an ecommerce website, I am used to creating html/css websites with some CMS wordpress, zenphoto, joomla, pommo - (php and MySql), and as far as ecommerce system requirements that is new to me. - ( originally i thought ecommerce would work very similar to lets say wordpress )

After my installation to Godaddy Deluxe Linux hosting plan - http://www.ceilingcap.com/magento - I don’t know if its something i did or didnt do but Magento runs extremely slow. I have read deep in the forums here and there and also emailed web owners currently running Magento about this issue. It sounds like I need to be running a dedicated server rather then shared, and the requirements of my Godaddy account just aren’t cutting it for Magento.

The Hotness Factory website, is using Crucial Magento Containers - A hosting company that is charging around 100 dollars a month to host Magento running smoothly. Compared to Godaddy shared plan is something like 10 dollars a month. Now the price of that is obviously unrealistic for someone who wants to start off an ecommerce as a test or who just wants to sell a 2 -10 products.

For me this sounds like a prerequisite that is going to be to much money to invest in, Obviously if you already have a store website profiting 2,000 dollars a month 100 dollars a month is nothing. But most of the websites that I would like set up Magento with are more like experiments and possibly will not make enough for it to be worth 100 a month in hosting.

Basically as far as my questions goes.

Is it possible to be running Magento clean and fast on a Godaddy Shared Deluxe plan - is there any tweeks or code tricks I can do to accomplish this, without having to purchase a more expensive dedicated hosting plan from another provider?

if thats not possible, is Magento learning toward trying to make it suitable for everyone with whatever hosting package they have in the future?

And if GoDaddy is not an option for a hosting provider, then who does Magento suggest hosting wise, that meets their requirements with a good price tag?

Thank you, im sorry if I am coming out of left field with some of these questions and if they have been answered already on the forum, ecommerce is new to me, but i do not consider myself a noob with the web. Magento is sick, I do not want to resort using zencart if theres a way I can use Magento.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

We got a solution for you that pretty much blows everything out of the water for just $19.95.

We are a company built around the concept of highly reliable performance hosting that comes with some of the wildest web-developer support from Los Angeles.

As per your question, the reason why you aren’t getting the performance from Godaddy is probably because of the over crowded shared hosting and that their servers are not adequate enough to provide you the performance you need.

What separates us from the rest is the fact that we are 100% managed hosting. We are a zero-overselling company that manages servers 24/7 to make sure our customers get the fastest performance possible.

And if you need real I.T. guys looking over for you (or your customers), we make sure we got you covered 24/7.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ow3npiccirillo

Ok, after doing some more research I plan on leaving Godaddy. And having my hosting account somewhere that can handle Magento.

I have found three Hosting providers that all say they can handle Magento, and look official enough to go with.

Crucial Web Hosting - $100 a month, and 20 a month for split-shared - update <--- i went with this smile
Simple Helix - $20 a month
Media temple - $20 a month - update - to slow

Now I am leaning with Media Temple because they are the only one with phone support. And the GS plan is 20 bucks.

But before I make a decision I was wondering what people on this forum prefer.

Can anyone let me know if they are happy with these choices, and wich one is the best out of them?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

TechBundle

Total Posts:  51

We are using Media Temple’s $50+ DV plan, which is meeting our expectations, but their GS plan was too slow when we tried it around the time 1.0 came out. It may have been improved by now, but that was our experience in the past.

I’ve heard good things about Crucial and SimpleHelix.

Magento Community
Magento Community

databasesdoneright

Total Posts:  8

Just a comment on mediatemple. I have a client who has been using them, and has used their gs package. I have had to deal with them on occasion and have found their tech support staff to be quite knowledgeable and helpful. The only problem is that as of two months ago their hold times for tech support are insane. I was averaging about 30 min per call. Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

You should check for the demo store on each host you are researching in and compare the speeds accordingly.

Make sure that it the demo store is really on their shared platform and not on a dedicated server. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

ow3npiccirillo

Do any team members that work closely with Magento suggest a Hosting Provider?

Can you clear up what is the best system to run Magento - it seems like you need to fork over some money if you want it running right.

I would hate to choose the wrong host.

They all seem to have pro’s and con’s.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

The best platform to run Magento Commerce would be Dedicated Hosting.

However, if you can only afford Shared Hosting, you need to make sure that you pick one which is fast and stable. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

JLHC - 16 June 2008 09:11 AM

Make sure that it the demo store is really on their shared platform and not on a dedicated server. wink

Word.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

databasesdoneright - 16 June 2008 06:56 AM

Just a comment on mediatemple. I have a client who has been using them, and has used their gs package. I have had to deal with them on occasion and have found their tech support staff to be quite knowledgeable and helpful. The only problem is that as of two months ago their hold times for tech support are insane. I was averaging about 30 min per call. Hope that helps.

I just installed Magento to my (mt) GS account via one click install - this is the fifth time since v0.6x came out. It’s very slow on the frontend, and worse, I have not been able to access to admin this time (it auto re-direct tio ‘https’ but I don’t have a SSL cert - I was pretty sure I unchecked the secure URLs option).

I have not been very happy with (mt) customer service, I feel I am paying just for the pretty control panel for ridiculous vanity that I use rarely. My annual contract is ending next month, and I am thinking to move. Hostgator’s speed is very good on client’s store, even in the peak hours, and the price is far less than (mt), with excellent customer service. Now I only need to convince myself harder to like Cpanel’s interface.

I am considering the two hosting companies from this list too.
@Simple Helix, what is that Godaddy secure website logo on your site about? Are you a Godady’s reseller? Yours is in my top list however I stay away from Godaddy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cooper

Total Posts:  104

Hello,

I am also greatly interrested in this subject because at the beginning, I just want to test my project (technically and economically) on shared platform.

But, beyond the speed I would like to know how the memory_limit is set on a shared server. The requirement to run Magento is 64M but for my shop it is not enough. I have made some test and found that I can manage only 145 catetagories with this limit (and my test was made without any products, onnly 145 categories .... details : http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/10063/P15/#t36896)

Do I have to go on a dedicated server to have a memory_limit >superior to 64 or is there a solution on shared hosting platform?

Actually I am on a french platform (sorry for my poor english...) with maximum memory allowed set to 64M..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

cooper - 16 June 2008 01:01 PM

Hello,

Do I have to go on a dedicated server to have a memory_limit >superior to 64 or is there a solution on shared hosting platform?

I guess that really depends on the host and if they have restrictions or not. I wouldn’t expect you’d have to raise it higher than 128M though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

As our hosting is geared for high performance and high traffic sites, we actually have a 512M memory limit, which is actually more than enough.

I don’t recall ever having a client requesting a memory limit greater than 512M.

Feel free to try us out and let us know what you think.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ow3npiccirillo

I left Godaddy and went with Crucialwebhost.com, and its great.

Godaddy is still a great company - for static to small dynamic web sites. But Magento is to intense for Godaddy, I wish for the time when Magento might release a lite version of Magento that can run on a 5 dollar shared hosting plan. But so far, i think the change is going to be worth it.

The only thing I hate about crucial is support tickets and no phone technical support, but they are on top of their game with the tickets with fast response and very helpful.

I am very happy with crucialwebhost, I choose the 20 dollar hosting package - it runs Magento very fast, 4 second load time, that is acceptable for me.  Compared to Godaddy 40 seconds.

After more research Media Temple had a bunch of bad reviews, with slow speeds on the 20 dollar plan. And the reason why I choose Crucial over some others is because of their active support in this community and partnership with Magento.

Now, everything is pretty much set up, All I need to do is custom design Magento, add products, and connect the merchant account for my cleint.

I will post back when I am all finished - I am keeping my fingers crossed that Magento will be the product I am been looking for. So far its looking great.

Thank you Magento, and Crucial - they are a good team

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

Glad that you have found the host of your choice.
Please keep us updated with reviews of their service from time to time. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

brock

Total Posts:  12
Columbus, OH

You should definitely go with Simple Helix Hosting. I’ve tried many different hosting companies for Magento and have had to use their 30day Guarantee to break the contract on all except for Simple Helix. They are fast and responsive to your needs and have the features to make a great ecommerce site.

Simple Helix Hosting

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3