Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I add a drop-down list to the product description page? 

ajlanghorn

Total Posts:  5
Manchester, UK

Hi everyone!

I’m really new to Magento, having worked with osCommerce in the past. I’m using it to build a client’s online store, and I have to say that I’m very impressed with it at the moment. My only grumble, though, is speed - hopefully that will change when I get the store live on a web server, as at the moment I’m using XAMPP on my local machine.

My client owns a musical instrument store and often sells products in different colours and sizes. How can I make a drop-down box for customers to choose from a set of pre-defined colours and sizes?

Any help in plain English would be really useful. If I need to edit any code, can you please give me the code that needs editing and the file and directory (from the Magento root) it is located in.

I’m running Magento on a Windows Vista SP1 machine, which runs Apache 2 and PHP 5.

Thanks

Andrew

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

You need configurable product. Check out the screencast, KB’s article, and User Manual as well as the forum to learn how Configurable Product works.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ajlanghorn

Total Posts:  5
Manchester, UK

Thanks, chinesedream, but I’ve decided to switch back to osCommerce for this job as Magento was running too slowly. Thanks anyway

Andrew

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community