Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Australia - show prices including tax, but tax depends on destination not origin. 

shir

Total Posts:  37
Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

It’s late, my thinking is impaired, and I haven’t come across the answer yet.

In Australia, as far as I know, we are required to show prices including tax (GST). However, if we ship overseas, there is no tax.

I’m kind of ok about showing prices with tax and then taking the tax off at the end, if the customer is overseas. Would be nice if I could show the price including and excluding tax.

So if I want to show prices including tax, my tax is based on shipping address, not shipping origin as the system tells me I must have.

Has anyone set all this up successfully for Australia? Are you showing your prices including GST?

Cheers…
Sue

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ajlanghorn

Total Posts:  5
Manchester, UK

G’day, Sue!

Will this extension from MagentoConnect not work for you?
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/141/magento-australia-extension

Andrew

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

The Australian extension does not extend Magento’s existing tax handling system so it won’t really help out in this case.

Magento 1.1 will apparently include some improvements to the tax system to better handle non-US styles of taxation and I hope it will be something that works better for Australian GST. Might be best to wait for the 1.1 release in a few weeks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shir

Total Posts:  37
Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

Thanks Andrew. Yes I have the Australian extension, but that doesn’t solve the problem. And Chris, thanks, that’s good to hear that the Aussies will have other options for tax calculation.

I have my prices at the moment as not including tax (not legal apparently). It’s the only way I can find for the system to work easily. If 1.1 will include a different way of calculating the tax, then I’m not inclined to start playing with tax rules. However, the Australian extension is really excellent and saves a bunch of work - thanks Chris!!!

Cheers…
Sue

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community