Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Design Question with Site that is already up

belkaidesigns

Total Posts:  8

Still deciding whether or not to go with Magento - can you tell me (may not be as easy as an answer that I am looking for) whether or not it will be hard to use Magento with a website that is already designed?  I have a site that is basically just a gallery and would like to upgrade it to e-commerce with shopping cart, etc.  My site address is http://www.belkaidesigns.com

Am I looking at having to re-do it completely?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

v2uk

Total Posts:  64

That’s doable in magento, some things would obviously not be 100% the same, but close enough and most likely a lot nicer.

In all honesty, you should prolly get someone to design you a site, then go from there.

There isn’t a “port it over” for magento, it’s more of a manipulation of CSS and XML schema more than anything I’ve found so far.

It would be a complete recode through aye if that’s what you are getting at.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

I would definitely say that one would be pretty easy to do in Magento. First off, just based on what you currently have, you have two top level categories, that when clicked have, display a list of products in a grid fashion. You also have the standard nav items for a site in the top nav, such as home, about, info, etc...Also, you have pre-existing artwork, logo and backgrounds that look in my opinion quite nice and appropriate for the nature and style of the site. Honestly, to add shopping cart functionality and “transition” your current site over to a magento platform, keeping the original appearance, would be a cinch.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community