Magento Forum

I need to vent. 

Lance Monotone

Total Posts:  63
North Adams, MA. 01247

I’m beginning to think Magento should still be in beta.  There are a lot of little things that are not working as they should, and what documentation there is is outdated by six months or more, while ‘Get help for this page’ in the admin links to an empty wiki .  Our customers’ logins are sometimes mysteriously reset, their cards are sometimes charged multiple times for the same order, the sales report seems to be doubling the daily sales, and every so often I come across a customer that I can’t view or edit in the admin (and there’s no documentation regarding the relations between the database tables so I can’t even compare good and bad customers’ raw records).  I would also love to see a list of variables that we can use in the CMS.  Not to mention an honest API.

These are not hallmarks of a stable product. 

Unfortunately, we’re live and there’s no going back without weeks more work.  Magento has promise but it’s not there yet.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lance Monotone

North Adams, MA. 01247

This thread has been moved from ‘How Do I...’, as in ‘How do I keep my customers from leaving?’ to this forum, where I can see cobwebs in the corners and where I’m likely to get no help for my problems.  And with no comment from the Magento folks themselves (not that they are very active in the forums anyway, judging from the number of unanswered threads I run across), I’m led to assume the Magento team is either woefully understaffed or not interested in reaching out to the people in the community.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dustin

Total Posts:  160
Columbus, OH

I am currently running a 6 site multiple store config with Magento and yes there are a few little kinks here and there, but nothing to complain about. Your not paying anything for the product so take the money saved there and spend it on someone to look into these issues or sign up for one of the Magento support packages.

I am guessing you will be hard pressed to get a response from Varien with a title like “I need to vent.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lance Monotone

North Adams, MA. 01247

Dustin, you’re probably right about that.  It’s just very frustrating to work so hard setting everything up with so little support, documentation, etc.  And I DID need to vent.  I realize the open source nature of the Magento project; I’m a big supporter of open source and I like to contribute when I can but the team needs to help me help them to make it better.  I wasn’t necessarily looking for a response from Varien (didn’t expect one anyway, to tell the truth), but I was hoping someone who had or was having the same problems would speak up.

What is your store URL?  I’d like to take a look and see if I can get a clue since you seem to be happier than I am.  Thanks for the reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

I'm Done

Total Posts:  32

I do have to agree with one thing, there are a lot of unanswered posts in these forums. It is highly frustrating to ask a question and get no reply where the post will drift off into the depths of oblivion. Varien, you depend on the users here, and the users depend on you.

While I think the cart is truly the next level of ecommerce, there are still many bugs that need to be worked out. I’m really hoping the next stable release will correct issues such as deleting orders in the backend after processing them and the ability to configure a product to add multiple options without having having to turn one product into 5 different products just to configure a few options. That’s horrendous at the speed this things moves and takes 20 minutes to enter one product with a few options.  The thing that worries me is we’ve got about 2000 products entered with hours of time put into it and I’m hoping if these issues/errors are corrected in a future release and updating won’t wipe out changes we’ve made to the cart itself.

I like Magento and I think the team has come a long way with this thing, but at the same time, it’d be great if posts were answered by a dedicated or assigned team member on forum duty.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community