Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Create Configurable Products

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

I’ve seen these posts about this a few times, and the answers don’t seem really clear.  I’ve followed the knowledge base link, and have successfully created a configurable product.  That was yesterday, today is a different story.  No matter what I do, my product only shows 1 option value in the drop down for my configurable product.  The only difference between today and yesterday is that yesterday I made each simple product by hand. Today I created each simple product as a “duplicate” of the original product.  (Yes, I made the duplicates enabled)

Here’s what I’ve checked:

Products available in English store
Products are enabled.
Products in proper categories.
Attribute is globally editable, integer, drop down.
Attribute labels have increasing positions
Quantity is available for all simple products.

When I delete the only product that has the lowest attribute value, another value does not take it’s place in the drop down list.  What I mean is, I’m only seeing “8x16x1” in my “Dimensions” attribute on the front end.  When I delete the simple product that has “8x16x1” dimension, I don’t see any more choices on the front-end.  So it’s not that it is only showing 1 value at a time.  It seems to only show the value from the very first product.

I’ve traced pretty far back into the code on the front-end, and I only see “8x16x1” in various _data and “values” properties.  Any help debugging this?  What should I look for in the DB?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

WildSatchmo

Total Posts:  4

I just posted in ‘installation issues’ with the same exact problem. If I duplicate products it does not work, if I make them from scratch I only get one option in my drop down. I’m thinking this is a bug?

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We will test it on our end and let you know the result.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

There is a very simple reason for this. And I believe a bug. When you duplicate a product it defaults to being “disabled”. Now the problem is that you set it to be “enabled” - but you need to make sure that it is enabled for the actual store. Even if it is “enabled” for the default - this will not filter down to the store. I hope that is clear.

If you have multiple sites, you need to check that the product is “enabled” for all sites

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Michigan, USA

Ahah… I would safely say this is a bug.

It’s not that I didn’t enable the product, or that I even didn’t enable for the proper store.  I really did enable it for the English store and my default store.  Here’s the bug…

When you hit the duplicate product button, you are taken to the DEFAULT STORE even if you are in, let’s say, the English store.  After you hit duplicate, the “choose store” pulldown still says “English Store”.  But you are actually editing for the default store.  So your enabled field will not save (or rather, it will only save for the default store.)

So, you basically *have* to edit your product twice after a duplication.

I’m guessing this is a simple hidden variable problem, or perhaps a session variable problem.  I also think it’s linked to this “bug” report

http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=937

Thanks, ajazza.  I had seen your posts before about checking the enabled status in all stores, I guess I didn’t double check it in all stores.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@ajazza: making product disabled after duplication is by design. You do not want to show this product in catalog with missing or incorrect information before it was updated.

@Mark_Kimsal: we’re not able to reproduce this problem in pending release, maybe it was fixed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Michigan, USA

Well… now I can’t reproduce it.  If I’m all the time running around in “English Store”, it seems to work straight through.  Not sure how I ended up the way it was before, but I’m pretty positive it did happen that way, at least once.

Since enabling a product is so tied to the concept of stores… perhaps it should be moved to the “stores” tab… ?  I’m not sure why or how you could disable something for a store, but still “use” it in a store, or why you could have a product “disabled” in “all stores”, but it’s really enabled individually in each store…

To me, it doesn’t make sense to talk about the “status” of an item w/o also taking about it’s store at the same time, just from what I’ve seen in regards to the front end Web site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

We are looking at improving the usability for this feature.

We will update the community with what we come up with smile

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

@moshe - I agree that making it disabled by default is the correct way to do things.

The problem is that I am at the default level when I duplicate and I make it “enabled” i.e Enabled for all stores, it doesn’t in fact make it enabled for any stores. You then have to go into each store and enable it.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

Catia

Total Posts:  21

@yoav

When you say that you are looking at improving the usability of this feature, do you mean configurable product creation in general?  I hope so, because I think improvements are greatly needed.

I made some suggestions about this in a previous thread.  To quote myself:

C - 09 September 2007 08:26 PM

Adding a new configurable product could be more automated, sort of like a product creation wizard.  Users would enter all the basic product information for their configurable product (descriptions, prices, images, meta keywords, etc.).  Then they would decide which attributes are configurable, specifying the different combinations of options that should be made available to the customer, as well as the appropriate SKUs.  The system would then automatically create all of the required simple products, copying the basic information that was already entered for the configurable product.

C - 09 September 2007 08:26 PM

Also, when browsing or searching for items in the backend product management, it would make things more clear if the simple products were grouped together with their parent configurable product.  Even better, the simple products could all be “collapsed” under the configurable product, with a button to expand them if the user wants to view them.

You’ve been doing a great job with the rest of Magento, so I look forward to seeing what you can do with this feature!

Catia

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

@Catia - Yes improving configurable product creation in general. Thanks for your comments they are very important to us and we will keep them in mind.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Mark_Kimsal - 15 October 2007 02:46 PM

I’m not sure why or how you could disable something for a store, but still “use” it in a store, or why you could have a product “disabled” in “all stores”, but it’s really enabled individually in each store…

Unchecking the checkbox on the Stores tab permanently deletes this product’s data (I mean local attributes values, associated with that product in the store). But if you want to temporarily make it unavailable you’d change its status to ‘Disabled’ in the store instead.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community