Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Getting Right Column Callouts to appear above the Mini Shopping Cart

elong

Total Posts:  17

OK, so I thought I had a decent understanding of the architecture and how pages are dynamically constructed to attempt this. There are two things I would like to accomplish. Though, currently, I only need the first.  What I would like to accomplish is the following.

1. Have my right column callouts appear above the mini cart.
2. Eventually, I would like to have a set of callouts appear above the mini-cart, then the mini-cart, and then a second set of callouts below the cart.

So, in tackling number 1, I looked to update catalog.xml. So, I have my own theme, and I created mytheme/layout/catalog.xml which was a copy of the catalog.xml file in the default theme. I then updated the file, around line 53 and 54.

Original

<reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
           <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
         </
reference>

New

<reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

So, effectively, I thought I was changing the order in which the html blocks would be generated. However, after saving the change, clearing cache (even deleting var/cache), My callouts are still the last to appear on the right column. I even tried updating catalog.xml in the default theme just in case it wasn’t being picked up from mine. No such luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Try changing the before and after declarations in your xml.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elong

Thanks, at first I thought that wouldn’t work because I already tied it. But then I realized that I was reading “before” as saying this block is before what is in quotes. I guess it really means is the element in quotes is before this block. So, I removed the before i nthe sidebar block and changed it to after, and now my callouts are in the middle between the cart and the compare object bar. No matter what I do with my before and aftre attributes, its always after the cart. So, I assume this is somewhere else in the code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

laurent

Total Posts:  75
Paris, France

Did you remove ‘before="-”’ from the cart_sidebar block declaration in checkout.xml?

Magento Community
Magento Community

elong

Excellent, that did it. I was wondering where that block was defined. Thank you all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

speedyss

Total Posts:  24

laurent - 12 June 2008 03:17 PM

Did you remove ‘before="-”’ from the cart_sidebar block declaration in checkout.xml?

I am trying to do the same as OP but can’t find the deceleration...i can only get the call outs to appear between my cart and compare?

Can someone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community