Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Multiple store owners + zip code search

Eat Local

Total Posts:  4

I’m trying to set up a farm to chef type of service which would allow farmers to upload their their own products and manage their store.  Orders would be sent to them, and they would be responsible for fulfilling orders.  Ideally buyer could order from various farms, pay one time and each order would be sent to each specific farmer.  Ah, a delivery option and maybe pick up option will also be required instead of just shipping. 

We would also want it configured so we get a copy of each order, so we can make sure farmers are fulfilling the orders.

We’ll also want to tack on a 10% fee to each order, which is paid by the buyer.

We also want a zip code radius search.  Is that built in? 

Can Magento do any of this this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Hello eatlocal,

Very nice idea. I think that more people should eat produce that was grown closer to where they live.

Let’s take this point by point -

I’m trying to set up a farm to chef type of service which would allow farmers to upload their their own products and manage their store.

Create one website with multiple stores for each one of the farmers (edited)- Magento Native. Restricted permissions for each individual store will require customization.

Orders would be sent to them, and they would be responsible for fulfilling orders. Ideally buyer could order from various farms, pay one time and each order would be sent to each specific farmer. 

Obviously.

Ah, a delivery option and maybe pick up option will also be required instead of just shipping.

Delivery - yes, Pick up will need some light customization.

We would also want it configured so we get a copy of each order, so we can make sure farmers are fulfilling the orders.

- Magento Native.

We’ll also want to tack on a 10% fee to each order, which is paid by the buyer.

- You can add this is the tier pricing how ever way you’d like - Magento Native.

We also want a zip code radius search.  Is that built in?

- This will require customization.

Magento is designed to have multi store functionality but it does not necessarily link from one store to the other. If you would like to create a “Mall” where a buyer would come to one main page and on that page they will have to find their farmer of choice or by distance, this will require development knowledge and customization of at least the homepage/portal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eat Local

Thanks Adi.  I think I’ll install it today and see if we can get by without the radius search.  I’ll also request a quote from your team for those mods just to give us an idea of what we can and can’t afford.

Jim

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eat Local

Create one website with multiple stores for each one of the farmers and give each restricted permissions only to their store - Magento Native.

I’m sure I’m missing something since I’m just getting started with Magento, but I’m not seeing where I can restrict permissions to only their store. I created a new role, created a new store, and user, and am not seeing where I can specify that they can only see their store info.  Where is that located?  And feel free to direct me to a document explaining this.

Thanks,
j

Magento Community
Magento Community

fede77

Total Posts:  1

Hi adimagento!
I am getting started with Magento too, it’s really amazing. I downloaded and installed both (1.1 and 1.0) but I cannot find restrict permissions to one store only.
Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, System > Roles > Roles Resources > Access : Custom
Thanks for enlightening us

Magento Community
Magento Community

mirage

Total Posts:  40
Milwaukee, WI

adimagento - 11 June 2008 07:39 PM

Hello eatlocal,
Create one website with multiple stores for each one of the farmers and give each restricted permissions only to their store - Magento Native.

Adi - I need this!

But from what I’ve found so far, reading the the book and the forums here, it appears as though this would require customization. Can you please verify your statement and - if it stands - provide some insight on how to do this?

Also, in case this is not possible natively [now or in an upcoming release] could you perhaps get an engineer to chime in on what would need to be done customization wise to get this functionality? I’m a pretty avid PHP developer, but relatively new to Zend Framework and definitely new to Magento. I’m certain I’ll figure it out eventually, but a little startup boost would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
m

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Sorry guys. I spoke too soon on this one. It is possible to set up multiple stores but not give restricted permissions to each store under the website umbrella. This can be done but will require customization.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Web3

Total Posts:  5

Hi Adi,

ok, i allready figured that out, since it’s been mentioned in other forums too. But no one explains why Magento is set up this way, that would be good to know. But that’s not the most important thing.

People have been asking about the guidelines for customization and perhaps some insight on where the start and may be let us know what the impact of such customization would be, but no answers whatsoever from the Magento crew. Is this some sort of big secret or do you guys simply don’t want anyone to make this customization?

In my opinion, all everyone wants and asks for is:
- insight on customizing Magento to set pemissions per shop
- guidelines on what to do and what not to do

Also, and i can’t think of a reason why not since lots of people are asking for it, please let us know if sometime in the near future the Magento crew is planning to releasing this feature.

It would be really nice to get some answers from someone of the Magento crew. Thanx.

Lars

Magento Community
Magento Community

ylibrach

Total Posts:  78

@Web3:

I’ll agree that the Magento team has created a great product, but have not done a good job documenting.

Saying that, I’ll tell you right now that if you want to make customizations for Magento that go beyond the realm of very simple changes, you need to be an experienced programmer and you need to have *at least* 15-20 hours just to browse through the code and understand the mechanics of the application. Once you learn the overall framework and the basic inner workings of Magento, it’s pretty simple to make the changes you want.

My recommendation for you is to buy the PHPArchitects book on Magento. Unfortunately, this book is also not a simple one to understand—you won’t read it and breeze through the examples. It requires reading a page or two, and then stepping through the Magento code for a good 30-60 minutes, as the author assumes you can figure out specifics on your own. Magento is an advanced developer’s application and the only book for it is also designed for advanced level developers.

I’m sure the Magento team will eventually come up with pretty comprehensive documentation and examples to get developers started. However if you need to get started soon, my suggestion above is your best bet. But again, as I said, don’t expect to breeze through Magento—you’ll be really disappointed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

crackjack

Total Posts:  2

Doesnt it strike a bell that Magento crew is making some bucks from customization ?

~ Soul

Magento Community
Magento Community

Web3

Total Posts:  5

Of course it does, that’s why i already contacted them for this customization. unfortunately i still haven’t received any response from them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

henriv

Total Posts:  14

I second that. Having security the way magento does this is a good 1st step. But if you support having multiple stores then you need to be able to grant people to manage only their store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DJ Kaspa

Total Posts:  9
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Indeed this is misleading…

Multiple websites and multiple stores for a SINGLE user is almost useless…

Have noticed that a lot of people have been fooled by the notion of multiple sites and multiple stores…

It seems as though there are countless people looking for a way to have multiple users with privileges specific to a single store, and as of yet, Magento have not provided any real help on how to accomplish this, which may turn developers off in a big way…

Am extremely eager to learn more about how we can make this a reality, as this is a feature that could truly put Magento on the map and allow for virtual malls to be generated…

If anyone has does this, please provide a link to some documentation, and if we do it first, we will do the same!

Honest guv! grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Coalesce Creative

Total Posts:  16

Definitely am interested in this as well. Has their been any updates on this functionality?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ahhhq

Total Posts:  7

i ‘ m interested in this as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DJ Kaspa

Total Posts:  9
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yes, they have decided to only include it as a feature for their Enterprise Edition, which costs US$8K + per server…

A surprise to say the least…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2