Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How many products can Magento handle ?

lucia2222

Total Posts:  7

I have a site that I am looking to develop, it only has about 200 products to go on however the site is selling till rolls and they want to have a printer compatibility finder on the site. I have looked at various extensions which but nothing seems to fit the bill. What I need is some sort of drop down menu which shows all the printer manufacturers, then whey they select the manufacturer a second menu is filled with printer models available for the selected manufacturer, they select their printer model from the list and it then shows the products which fit that printer.

As I can’t find an extension that suits I was wondering about setting up the manufacturers as categories, then have the printer models as subcategories of the relevant manufacturer, then the product is checked to display under the printer type. The problem is I have just received the compatibility list which lists all the printers available from the various manufacturers and there are nearly 1200! I am now concerned as to whether having this many categories, sub categories set up will be feasible. I have already decided I would need to band the manufacturers under top level categories such as A-C, D-E etc.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magentoexpert

Total Posts:  9
4532, Silicon Valley, San Diago, California - 1234

Unlimited products

Magento Community
Magento Community

merchantos

Total Posts:  5

a569 - 27 September 2010 07:52 PM

We have 260,000 products, Can magento handle this much products?

That shouldn’t be an issue as long as you have sufficient hosting. If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of ecom store are you managing with 260,000 products? Stores I’ve worked with who have that much product usually have either proprietary software or a heavily modified version.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nancyshneider

Total Posts:  10

Our store has 30k…

Magento Community
Magento Community

maria278

Total Posts:  1

aegenes - 24 October 2011 10:38 AM

We’re currently running 6 different stores on a single Magento CE 1.5.0.1 installation with a total catalog size of ~1.75 million products. We’re using a Nexcess Magento Enterprise Cluster, MCE-SIP-100 2-Node Cluser to be exact (http://www.nexcess.net/magento-enterprise-hosting). Our websites run great, but I don’t think our Magento installation would be possible without the cluster environment that separates web and DB.

The only problem we’ve encountered is with reindexing. It currently takes 10 hours to reindex (from command line) and for several of those hours, chunks of the catalog are inaccesible which means we have to pause all of our marketing efforts and reindex in the middle of the night.

1.75 million products. How is website doing from customers point. Is it fast? Are customers having any issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnbullac

Total Posts:  17

It seems that Magento can handle unlimited number of products. Everything depends on server!

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevenmaico

Total Posts:  4

I am not completely sure about the products Magento can handle but it can handle multiple stores and multiple websites. And I think rendering Effects can handle all of the Magento product entry for your online store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisRich

aegenes - 24 October 2011 10:38 AM

We’re currently running 6 different stores on a single Magento CE 1.5.0.1 installation with a total catalog size of ~1.75 million products. We’re using a Nexcess Magento Enterprise Cluster , MCE-SIP-100 2-Node Cluser to be exact (http://www.nexcess.net/magento-enterprise-hosting). Our websites run great, but I don’t think our Magento installation would be possible without the cluster environment that separates web and DB.

The only problem we’ve encountered is with reindexing. It currently takes 10 hours to reindex (from command line) and for several of those hours, chunks of the catalog are inaccesible which means we have to pause all of our marketing efforts and reindex in the middle of the night.

10 hours seems a little unreasonable. Have you been able to improve performance?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fredetish

lucia2222 - 02 November 2011 12:55 PM

I have a site that I am looking to develop, it only has about 200 products to go on however the site is selling till rolls and they want to have a printer compatibility finder on the site. I have looked at various extensions which but nothing seems to fit the bill. What I need is some sort of drop down menu which shows all the printer manufacturers, then whey they select the manufacturer a second menu is filled with printer models available for the selected manufacturer, they select their printer model from the list and it then shows the products which fit that printer.

As I can’t find an extension that suits I was wondering about setting up the manufacturers as categories, then have the printer models as subcategories of the relevant manufacturer, then the product is checked to display under the printer type. The problem is I have just received the compatibility list which lists all the printers available from the various manufacturers and there are nearly 1200! I am now concerned as to whether having this many categories, sub categories set up will be feasible. I have already decided I would need to band the manufacturers under top level categories such as A-C, D-E etc.

Shouldn’t be too hard to find someone to code something like this. Instead of doing all menus, you may just want to open up a category page from the first menu where a user can drill further down. Springing up sub menus can cause users to be unable to navigate easily through them and then give up. I have had issue with some where you try to mouse over from the first menu to get to the second, and as soon as contact is lost with the first menu (cursor is not touching a menu item) everything disappears and you have to go back and open the first menu again. Very frustrating.

Magento Community
Magento Community

paullopez777

10 hours seems a little unreasonable. Have you been able to improve performance?

I think 10 Hours seems reasonable, as the website has 1.75 million products so obviously re-indexing will take some time than usual. The thing I would like to know how many time in a month he re-index? And for what reason he need to re-index when it takes too much time, which also force him to pause all the marketing tasks?  question

Magento Community
Magento Community

Extendware

Total Posts:  231

With lots of products you really need a Full Page Cache Extension for Magento.

The reason is that 1) requests do not even access the database for many requests, so everything is sped up 2) usually stores with more products have more traffic and this will save in hardware expenses.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AliciaAnnesi

fredetish - 11 March 2012 01:50 PM

Shouldn’t be too hard to find someone to code something like this. Instead of doing all menus, you may just want to open up a category page from the first menu where a user can drill further down. Springing up sub menus can cause users to be unable to navigate easily through them and then give up. I have had issue with some where you try to mouse over from the first menu to get to the second, and as soon as contact is lost with the first menu (cursor is not touching a menu item) everything disappears and you have to go back and open the first menu again. Very frustrating.

I know exactly of the menu problem you described. It is maddening, yet so many sites have it. If it takes more than a couple tries, I am outta there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JoshuaWilson

AliciaAnnesi - 10 April 2012 12:02 PM

fredetish - 11 March 2012 01:50 PM

I know exactly of the menu problem you described. It is maddening, yet so many sites have it. If it takes more than a couple tries, I am outta there.

I had the same problem on a patient data collection web application I used when I worked as an RN. It drove me crazy!

Magento Community
Magento Community

inventorysoft

Total Posts:  10

A agree with Extended Ware about needing a Full Page Cache Extension for Magento. I amazed that Magento can even handle products in the thousands. Volume at that size requires extensions as Magento can be quite slow with all of it’s scripting. Hopefully there will eventually be a fix to help speed up Magento as it works with other plug-ins and extensions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

roeldeng91

bed and breakfast Occhiobello
Dormire Hotel Ferrara
Country House Ferrara
Offriamo una valida alternativa al soggiorno in Hotel, garantendo, a chi viaggia per turismo o per lavoro, un servizio impeccabile per pulizia ed ottima qualita’ dei prodotti serviti.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community